Other than Photoshop or Lightroom Classic?

Janice

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
Just read an article (wasn't sure if I could post the link to said article here) that mentioned various free editing software OTHER than Photoshop and Lightroom Classic(which are not free). Was wondering if any of you use any of the ones listed below and if you would recommend them rather than paying the monthly fee for Photoshop/Lightroom Classic? I am not a professional photographer. I don't do a lot of detailed editing (spot removal yes, but I don't do head-swaps, etc.) Just basic stuff. Here are the programs the article was mentioning.
Darktable
Gimp
Pixir Editor
Krita
Photopea

I only do basic stuff with LR and PS but one day I'll be a master!!!!! For the price of a pint/week.

I only do basic stuff with LR and PS but one day I'll be a master!!!!! For the price of a pint/week.
That's my concern. I pay the money monthly but barely use the program. Wondering if there was a free editing program that would allow me to do similar (if not the same) basic editing and I could save $120 (U.S.) per year.

That's my concern. I pay the money monthly but barely use the program. Wondering if there was a free editing program that would allow me to do similar (if not the same) basic editing and I could save $120 (U.S.) per year.
Have used Gimp in the past many years ago worth checking out tutorials on youtube and see which ones suit you best. Gimp can be a bit of a learning curve. Check this out see if it helps https://www.wix.com/blog/photography/2019/04/11/best-free-photo-editing-software Good luck .

I’d say Darktable and Gimp are pretty much at the top of the tree for free stuff and will easily do what you want and more. I say easily in a program sense, not that they’re necessarily easy to use. Raw Therapee is a Darktable alternative but not sure if it’s a windows app without checking as I have it on a Linux machine.

I’d say Darktable and Gimp are pretty much at the top of the tree for free stuff and will easily do what you want and more. I say easily in a program sense, not that they’re necessarily easy to use. Raw Therapee is a Darktable alternative but not sure if it’s a windows app without checking as I have it on a Linux machine.
Thanks for the heads-up. If I have presets in Lightroom, would they work in Darktable or Gimp?

Get several and first see how well they convert ARW files.

You can use the basic version of LR for nothing. Update: Australia and NZ only

It pays to figure out your needs. Eg for bird shooting almost every shot I process gets a crop, noise reduction and sharpening. Then it's usual to do selective exposure adjustment, vibrancy addition and sharpening/downsizing in export.

Adding vibrancy is necessary for FB which strangles the colour range of files.

Last edited:
Just read an article (wasn't sure if I could post the link to said article here) that mentioned various free editing software OTHER than Photoshop and Lightroom Classic(which are not free). Was wondering if any of you use any of the ones listed below and if you would recommend them rather than paying the monthly fee for Photoshop/Lightroom Classic? I am not a professional photographer. I don't do a lot of detailed editing (spot removal yes, but I don't do head-swaps, etc.) Just basic stuff. Here are the programs the article was mentioning.
Darktable
Gimp
Pixir Editor
Krita
Photopea
Janice, thanks for posting this. I am annoyed with the fact that many software companies are moving to monthly or annual pay options. I just want to buy it outright and be done with it.

Darktable
Gimp
Pixir Editor
Krita
Photopea
Most of those are alright... you can achieve 99% of the stuff Photoshop/LR can do, but it takes a different path to get there, meaning if you're too used to Photoshop, it'll take a while getting used to. And of course, there's not as much learning material as with PS/LR, although there's quite a bunch on Gimp and Krita.

If instead of free, you'd be willing to spend a little bit once, I'd advise you check the stuff from Affinity and Skylum. Also heard great stuff about Capture One, which would be a great LR alternative, but I haven't checked it out myself.

You can use the basic version of LR for nothing. Update: Australia and NZ only

It pays to figure out your needs. Eg for bird shooting almost every shot I process gets a crop, noise reduction and sharpening. Then it's usual to do selective exposure adjustment, vibrancy addition and sharpening/downsizing in export.

Adding vibrancy is necessary for FB which strangles the colour range of files.
This is good to know. I don't do extensive editing of my photos. But I do like to crop and sometimes adjust noise and sharpening as well as maybe brighten/darken them up a tad.

I'm on linux so I went for opensource software. I mostly use Darktable. It's great.
If you try it, add the following filters to your favorite list:
- Sharpen
- Contrast brightness and saturation
- Exposure
- Denoise (non-local means)
- Crop and rotate
- Base curve - this one apply by default but I often twick it
- White balance

Additional filters I have in my favorites and use quite often
- Monochrome
- Local contrast
- Spot removal
- Lens correction
- Defringe
- Shadows and highlights

Lens correction is the integration of the Lensfun project. When one of my lens is not supported yet, I create my own Lensfun calibration data and Darktable automatically recognizes it. That take an hour or two for a prime, more for a zoom.

Have you thought about using Sony's Imaging Edge? It handles raws quite nicely and does basic stuff ok. And it's free.

Have you thought about using Sony's Imaging Edge? It handles raws quite nicely and does basic stuff ok. And it's free.
Always thought at was a little lacking. I guess it's because I'm comparing it to LR, as I have use Adobe CC for lots of work. Also, I'd also say that maybe I'm keeping the memories fresh from the mobile version, which barely works, but yeah... it's a app.

I have it but haven't taken time to try and figure it out. Do you use only it or do you use Lr or Photoshop more?

I have also read online about using Apples Photos manager! It seems like it can handle many basic edits, as the toggles and settings on Lightroom are very confusing to me.

My question is: How does one get feedback on the edit if no raw is provided? The post processing almost seems to be a skill of itself. Which is discouraging of going outside and just shooting for fun.

The post processing almost seems to be a skill of itself.
Well, it is! Think of it as what developing film used to be.

If you'd rather have a simpler workflow, it wouldn't be a bad idea to shoot JPEGs with a nice color profile baked in. If you'd like to learn in time though... maybe RAW, 90% auto settings in post, and then 10% leeway to play with sliders, buttons and curves? Once you're comfortable, you can progressively give more and more attention to manual post, until it's only 5% auto (I'd say 0%, but sometimes that little button can still be helpful!)

Well, it is! Think of it as what developing film used to be.

If you'd rather have a simpler workflow, it wouldn't be a bad idea to shoot JPEGs with a nice color profile baked in. If you'd like to learn in time though... maybe RAW, 90% auto settings in post, and then 10% leeway to play with sliders, buttons and curves? Once you're comfortable, you can progressively give more and more attention to manual post, until it's only 5% auto (I'd say 0%, but sometimes that little button can still be helpful!)
Ivan, I won’t back down from the challenge. Someone here posted a Lightroom classic tutorial on YouTube. I’m going to do the whole course!! Otherwise I should have bought a Fuji. I think I need to explore the full power of Sony Alpha

Ivan, I won’t back down from the challenge. Someone here posted a Lightroom classic tutorial on YouTube. I’m going to do the whole course!! Otherwise I should have bought a Fuji. I think I need to explore the full power of Sony Alpha
I'm glad you say so! Among my different lines of work, I'm also a college teacher, so count with whatever help you may need learning. I'll be more than glad to show you whatever you need to get you on your path!

Thought of it a lil bit... maybe we could schedule a videocall some time, along with whomever on this forum might want to get started w/Lightroom. Great oppotunity to get the community to meet, as well!

I have also read online about using Apples Photos manager! It seems like it can handle many basic edits, as the toggles and settings on Lightroom are very confusing to me.

My question is: How does one get feedback on the edit if no raw is provided? The post processing almost seems to be a skill of itself. Which is discouraging of going outside and just shooting for fun.
I'm not sure I understand your question, "...get feedback on the edit if no raw is provided?" Do you me "raw" as in the original photo? Do you mean "raw" as in the type of file it is, 'a RAW file'? I agree. Post-processing IS a skill. With time and patience, you can learn the tools and really change photos taken.
Personally, I try to get it right in the camera so post-processing is at a minimum. Things like cropping or removing a dirt speck are about all I really want to do. Sometimes lighten the photo a bit because I had the wrong lens on camera ;)

I just read an article that recommended Photopea. Free editing software that sounds like it's a clone of Photoshop. I don't know anything about it. Wondered if anyone here has used it and what they thought of it.

Back