Peace from down under

offshoresa65s

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Hi, we are moving into spring / summer down here, 17c outside right now, nice, anyhow, bought my a6000 around 2015, with adapter used all of my old Minolta primes and shot manual. Last eighteen months bought an A7c and on the strength of that bought an A7iv. I felt the need to get up to speed with Auto focus lens and what I now perceive as good tracking abilities. So I'm struggling a bit with menus and workflows. I'm on a budget so all of the lens I've bought are Tamron zooms, 17-28 28-75 150-500. My main aim is to pursue wildlife and bird photography. Anyhow I'm really enjoying all my Sony cam's cheers

Hi, we are moving into spring / summer down here, 17c outside right now, nice, anyhow, bought my a6000 around 2015, with adapter used all of my old Minolta primes and shot manual. Last eighteen months bought an A7c and on the strength of that bought an A7iv. I felt the need to get up to speed with Auto focus lens and what I now perceive as good tracking abilities. So I'm struggling a bit with menus and workflows. I'm on a budget so all of the lens I've bought are Tamron zooms, 17-28 28-75 150-500. My main aim is to pursue wildlife and bird photography. Anyhow I'm really enjoying all my Sony cam's cheers
First of all, welcome. Second, you are correct that these cameras have good, and even world-class tracking abilities. Third, there's no need to explain or justify your choice to use third-party lenses. Tamron are outstanding, the 17-28 is my preference over both of Sony's offerings. If it makes you feel any better, Sony is one of the major owners of Tamron and they have a large enough share to be influential in R&D and other aspects. Of the 6 E-Mount lenses I own, 2 are Sony, 2 are Samyang, 1 Tamron, 1 Sigma. They were chosen for specific reasons, and were my preference. Don't ever let a gear snob make you feel like off-brand lenses are a bad thing.

As for the menus, I get my info by working my way through and learning to do it myself. Some here will recommend shortcuts like downloading someone else's presets, but to my mind that's a temporary band-aid, not a cure.

At the top of this page there's a 'Blog' link. Click on it and there will be a link at the top of that page called 'Cameras'. Click on that and you'll get an incredible amount of information for each camera. If you choose the manual, you will then have a choice of the PDF or On-line. The site owner recommends the on-line version, and after using both I heartily endorse that recommendation.

@Timothy Mayo I have often felt that the vast amount of technical information you offer on this site is overlooked because you have it hiding behind a link called 'Blog'. Unless someone goes digging they don't even know it's there. IMO, putting that info in a link that better describes the content would make it more accessible.

@Timothy Mayo I have often felt that the vast amount of technical information you offer on this site is overlooked because you have it hiding behind a link called 'Blog'. Unless someone goes digging they don't even know it's there. IMO, putting that info in a link that better describes the content would make it more accessible.
Cheers Tim. I have thought about this little conundrum before and how to better integrate some of the content on the blog side into the forum. I'll think a little harder on the subject!

Welcome and thanks for joining up here! Not to much more to add than Brownie has already suggested but do let us know if you have any specific questions on the a7C or lenses, or this forum! :)

Back