Your Photo of the Week

Week 22/52: First mango of the season arrives a month early!
DSC05827_sq.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 24mm F2.8 F051
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100

Kev, do you know the name of every species on Earth? You amaze me.

Kev, do you know the name of every species on Earth? You amaze me.
Haha, only the ones I photograph mainly, but I've been a wildlife lover since I was a kid. I'm a mine of useless information.

Week 15. If only I'd managed to get the eyes in focus! Thought I'd post it anyway so someone can tell me what it is? :) I'm calling it a yellow damselfly for now. Update: Thanks to @Kevriano it's called a Female Banded Demoiselle :)

yellow-damselfly.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 800

Last edited:
Week 15. If only I'd managed to get the eyes in focus! Thought I'd post it anyway so someone can tell me what it is? :) I'm calling it a yellow damselfly for now.
I definitely see the potential of that lens, parts of that picture are razor sharp and the colors are nice too! I am also reminded that Macrophotography calls for narrower aperture than I am used to.

Female Banded Demoiselle :D
Brilliant. Thanks Kev! :) There were more than 50 at my local brook yesterday, great fun to try and shoot.

I definitely see the potential of that lens, parts of that picture are razor sharp and the colors are nice too! I am also reminded that Macrophotography calls for narrower aperture than I am used to.
It is a very nice lens and one that I won't be letting go anytime soon. You can certainly still shoot wide-open, but it makes it a lot more difficult to nail the focus where you want it, even with the help of focus peaking. Of course as soon as you start stepping down the ISO creeps up which can really kill the detail, and the background becomes harder to manage as well. Often shooting from a little further away to expand the depth of field then cropping in can work well, instead of trying to shoot as close to the subject as possible, less chance of scaring them off too!

Brilliant. Thanks Kev! :) There were more than 50 at my local brook yesterday, great fun to try and shoot.
Yes, they seem to be having a good year everywhere this year. Hundreds at the park I visited last week. There are some in my shots I put up of the insects.

Week 24. Utterly fabulous Mother Shipton Moth, so named because of the witches face markings on the wings. Mother Shipton is a fabled witch from UK folklore.
DSC05014 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 800

Week 16. This grasshopper was very patient whilst I fired off a few shots. I didn't spot the water droplet until I got home.

grasshopper-2048px.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 200

Week 24. Utterly fabulous Mother Shipton Moth, so named because of the witches face markings on the wings. Mother Shipton is a fabled witch from UK folklore.
That's a beauty Kev!

Week 23/52: Trying to see what kind of low light performance I can squeeze out of the new Tamron 17-70 lens. As you can tell from Ziva's dilated pupils, it was a bit dim under the desk when I took the shot. ISO6400 still yields an unacceptable amount of noise, but this is so much better than the kit lens.

DSC05838_5x7.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 6400

Week 24/52: Last night's dinner becomes today's lunch, Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Spicy Pork over white rice, topped with a fried egg.
DSC05868_4x6.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/13 sec
  • ISO 100

Week 25. Fabulous Rook in profile.
DSC05676 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 433.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 5000

Kev, do you know the name of every insect species on Earth? You amaze me.
Kev was an insect in a previous life. Which may explain why he takes these gorgeous pin-sharp bugs. Exquisite sharpness in detail. There isn't a single detail out-of-focus on this one. Damn! :oops:

Bug.JPG

Week 17. A silver-washed fritillary in my local woodland. I sneaked up on this one like a ninja and managed to fire off a few shots before it bugged off.

silver-washed-fritillary-3000px.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 500

Week 17. A silver-washed fritillary in my local woodland. I sneaked up on this one like a ninja and managed to fire off a few shots before it bugged off.

View attachment 10661
Excellent Tim. One of my favourites. I must try and find some time to photograph them next week.

Excellent Tim. One of my favourites. I must try and find some time to photograph them next week.
Cheers Kev. I only spotted this single one in the entire wood. They are very photogenic.

Week 26 (half way!) Red Kite at Watlington Hill today. I've probably got some nicer ones, but I like the pose on this as I scanned through my shots.
DSC05965 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 640

week 25?/52: Dinner tonight was a Korean spicy Tofu Stew (Sundubu Jjige):
DSC05898_sq.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 35mm F1.8 OSS
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 1000

A little hard to get the colors just right, but this is the general idea. Heavy on the red pepper flakes (gochugaru) means a very red stew, interrupted only by the tofu and occasional scallions tossed in for garnish.

Week 26 (half way!) Red Kite at Watlington Hill today. I've probably got some nicer ones, but I like the pose on this as I scanned through my shots.
Great shot Kev! It has been a while since I've shot any kites, I must make a visit to Wales soon! I've never seen one over Malvern, hopefully I'll spot a few when we move over the border into Shropshire.

Great shot Kev! It has been a while since I've shot any kites, I must make a visit to Wales soon! I've never seen one over Malvern, hopefully I'll spot a few when we move over the border into Shropshire.
Cheers Tim. I reckon you will. Watlington is nuts, more Kites than Pigeons, and some so close I couldn't get them in frame at 200mm.

Cheers Tim. I reckon you will. Watlington is nuts, more Kites than Pigeons, and some so close I couldn't get them in frame at 200mm.
Sounds great! Might have to make a trip down. Looks like it's only about 2 hours from me which is around the same time it takes me to get to Bwlch Nant yr Arian.

Back