Your Photo of the Week

Week 33. The 100-400 doesn't see much use these days, but with this little blue tit perching so close to me I thought I'd dust the cobwebs of it.

DSC00945-Bluetit-3000px.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 2000

Representing Week 48:

One of the Hoodie Gals With Her Freshly Caught Lunch.jpeg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 840.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 3200

Thank you! The lake is small and so the water picks up colors from the houses and trees surrounding it. I was particularly chuffed to get this Hoodie with a fish, as while I often see the males and females diving for dinner, I am not always lucky enough to see one with a mouthful!

Week 50. Sunset on our local beach (no wildlife this week, I've been without car).
DSC07460 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • E 24mm F2.8 F051
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/20
  • 1/15 sec
  • ISO 100

Representing Week 49:

Arching Over.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 400

Week 51! Nearly there :) A Marsh Harrier banking around whilst hunting at Stiffkey Marshes this week.
DSC07702 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 800

Week 34. Looking back towards the Malvern Hills (my old home) from Clee Hill (new home) with a rather nice cloud inversion blanketing the landscape. First one I've seen from up there, hopefully not the last!

DSC00868-Malverns-Inversion.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 100

Week 34. Looking back towards the Malvern Hills (my old home) from Clee Hill (new home) with a rather nice cloud inversion blanketing the landscape. First one I've seen from up there, hopefully not the last!

View attachment 15495
This made me think I was working again. I would have said, "We're on top". (I was a Pilot)

This made me think I was working again. I would have said, "We're on top". (I was a Pilot)
What did you used to fly Jeff? Do you miss it?

What did you used to fly Jeff? Do you miss it?
Tim, I have flown 72 different types of aircraft. I am Type Rated to fly as Pilot-in-Command in 8 types of Jet Aircraft. My flying time is just a bit more than 18,000 hours. I miss it terribly. Getting old sucks for a multitude of reasons. I had friends (other pro pilots) who could not wait to retire. I was not one of those types. I dreaded the thought. I realize how lucky I was to have flown as much as I did up to the age of 64 years old.

Tim, I have flown 72 different types of aircraft. I am Type Rated to fly as Pilot-in-Command in 8 types of Jet Aircraft. My flying time is just a bit more than 18,000 hours. I miss it terribly. Getting old sucks for a multitude of reasons. I had friends (other pro pilots) who could not wait to retire. I was not one of those types. I dreaded the thought. I realize how lucky I was to have flown as much as I did up to the age of 64 years old.
Amazing career though Jeff. You must cherish those memories.

Wow, that's a lot of aircraft and flight hours! Do you have a favourite and a least favourite? It must require a lot of knowledge and skill to fly so many different aircraft. I struggle when I have to swap from my automatic car to my wife's manual one! Sadly age catches up with us all eventually, but hopefully those memories will never fade!

Wow, that's a lot of aircraft and flight hours! Do you have a favourite and a least favourite? It must require a lot of knowledge and skill to fly so many different aircraft. I struggle when I have to swap from my automatic car to my wife's manual one! Sadly age catches up with us all eventually, but hopefully those memories will never fade!
Well, there were a lot of Aircraft to be sure, but you are not flying all of them all the time. Favorites, I have a few and some for different reasons. I liked to fly the Cessna Citation III for performance reasons. It was certified to fly at 51,000 feet. Although I never took it that high, I did do 49,000 feet. The world does look a bit different up there. But all things considered I would have to call the favorite was "Which one would I like to work in day after day", and that would be the Bombardier Challenger 604, It wasn't THE fastest or the one that flew the highest but it had great Avionics (Radios and instrumentation) and the cockpit was very large. It was a "Stand up" airplane unless you were 6 feet tall, or so. It would go coast to coast non-stop and to Europe with one stop from California. I loved working in this airplane, quiet and comfortable. It sounds petty but you could get the Challenger ready to fly quickly and it was quick to put to bed when you got to your destination.

Here is a picture of me with the Challenger 604:
IMG_0550.JPG
  • Canon PowerShot SD630
  • 5.8 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/640 sec

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim, for some reason I have a duplicate photo and can't delete on of them. Can you help?

Week 52! Made it and didn't miss a week either, so literally one year since I started this give or take a day.

Female Sparrowhawk with a Starling in my garden this week. Truly extraordinary sight to witness and photograph, and despite dreadful light I am really happy with this shot and how it's turned out.
Plenty of shots to come in a post at some point, the hawk stayed for nearly 4 hours, stripping the Starling to a carcass.
DSC08728 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 10000

Wrapping up my 52-Week Challenge at the end of the week, end of the month, and end of the year.....

Female Hoodie Celebrating.jpeg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 800

Week 1, year 2! Bewicks Swans, a lifer bird for me, hugely in decline now. We get winter migrants every year, but far fewer than previous years. The smallest of the Swan species.
DSC00268 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 1600

Ok, I've been waiting for the new year to try this. Here's my week 1. I told my daughter to sit still. I didn't even see the guys playing rugby in the background until later.
Paige-River Parks.jpg
  • ILCE-6600
  • E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 46.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 15 sec
  • ISO 100

Tim, for some reason I have a duplicate photo and can't delete on of them. Can you help?
Sorted Jeff. Sorry I missed this earlier! Lovely photo of you with the Bombardier Challenger, it does look like a fantastic plane to fly! I guess at 49,000 feet you are almost in space! :)

Week 52! Made it and didn't miss a week either, so literally one year since I started this give or take a day.

Female Sparrowhawk with a Starling in my garden this week. Truly extraordinary sight to witness and photograph, and despite dreadful light I am really happy with this shot and how it's turned out.
Plenty of shots to come in a post at some point, the hawk stayed for nearly 4 hours, stripping the Starling to a carcass.
Congratulations Kev! And what an awesome shot to finish week 52 on! :)

Wrapping up my 52-Week Challenge at the end of the week, end of the month, and end of the year.....
Congratulations :) A lovely shot to wrap up the challenge and 2021 with!

Week 35. I've clearly failed miserably at the 52 week challenge but then I still have 35 photos that I may not have taken otherwise! :) I shall persevere until I hit 52!

A one-legged great tit in the garden. Well its second leg might have been tucked in, I just couldn't see it! :)

DSC09884-Great-Tit-3000px.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
  • 315.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 800

After having done two of these 52-week challenges in a row (2020 and 2021) on another site plus also sharing the ones from 2021 on this site I am taking a break from all time-sensitive photographic commitments now in 2022. I'll still be shooting, of course, and will continue to share this-and-that from time to time.

Week 2. I don't just do native wildlife, we go to a zoo at least once a month. Tiger Cub at Banham today.
DSC01022 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 1600

Week 3. Sanderling and unfortunate Shrimp on the local beach this afternoon.
DSC01897-2 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 1600
ate Shrimp on the local beach this afternoon.

Back