Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I thought it would be fun to experiment with some monthly photography challenges to help us all grow as photographers by experimenting with different niches outside of our comfort zones.

This is not a competition so there will be no winners announced, it's purely for fun and self-development.

So the challenge for this month (September 2020) is food photography, since I know how much we all like to eat!

Simple Rules:
  • Sony cameras only please
  • Post as many times as you would like
  • Have fun!
Food Photography Tips:

If you are looking for tips and inspiration then this site has 101 of them:

https://www.sandynoto.com/blog/101-food-photography-tips-and-tricks

I would post a photo to get the ball rolling but since I have only this morning decided to add these challenges I currently don't have anything to share! My empty bowl of porridge isn't inspiring me much either, but I will be doing these challenges myself too! :)

Last edited:
It's going to be odd shooting food with the 200 600 :D

Steak and mushroom

Attachments

• 22E98202-7257-4C83-B656-9FA74BCDDC6A.jpeg
    22E98202-7257-4C83-B656-9FA74BCDDC6A.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 84
This morning's avocado was especially bright green.

DSC00340.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM2
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
  • 124.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 1600

And I call this one $125 worth of cheese. WORTH IT!

DSC00333.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM2
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
  • 84.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 6400

Awesome shot Kim! Not the biggest avocado fan but your image and presentation makes me want to eat it! :) How long will that cheese last? :)

Thanks -- it felt really weird pulling my camera out to shoot my breakfast, but that's why I appreciate these challenges.
We made a good dent in the cheese this weekend ;) but it should last a month or so in my house. I discovered cheese paper a few years back and it really keeps things fresh.

Met up with friends for some socially distanced sashimi, poke and other foodies from the sea. :) Sorry - forgot to ask if non-Sony shots are ok. Still primarily a Fuji shooter
D8FE380D-1E35-4E48-9BE8-EBDAC46D08F1.jpeg
  • X-Pro2
  • XF23mmF2 R WR
  • 23.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/220 sec
  • ISO 640

Met up with friends for some socially distanced sashimi, poke and other foodies from the sea. :) Sorry - forgot to ask if non-Sony shots are ok. Still primarily a Fuji shooter
Look great! I don't mind the odd Fuji or other brand slipping in but would prefer to keep the focus on Sony, thanks! :)

Look great! I don't mind the odd Fuji or other brand slipping in but would prefer to keep the focus on Sony, thanks! :)

lol... I’m going to have to take the 200-600 off in that case. Our air quality was 2nd worst in the world yesterday due to fires up and down the West Coast. :(

I know we have moved on to a different topic, but i thought i will post what i captured today(didnt get the time last month)... Hope it is ok.. .. a bit of late start for me. Late is better than never i guess..

Greek 1.jpg
Greek 2.jpg

I know we have moved on to a different topic, but i thought i will post what i captured today(didnt get the time last month)... Hope it is ok.. .. a bit of late start for me. Late is better than never i guess...
Looks tasty! If I hadn’t just eaten a lasagne I could definitely force that down! 😋 Posting a little late is all good. Thanks for joining in!

Lol...

Fresh ground bison, sweet potatoes, peas, carrots, oatmeal, pumpkin, blueberries and green beans.
This is for our soon to be 17 year old super spoiled four legged baby. :D

Attachments

• 5761410A-B0FE-4A01-B796-68A6A52C28A2.jpeg
    5761410A-B0FE-4A01-B796-68A6A52C28A2.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 68
Not being critical to everyone here as I get the same results. I notice on almost all the photos only a small portion of the pic is in sharp focus.
This happens to me on a large portion of my closeup shots. is there a secret to getting sharp closeups across the range, I and many others are missing?
I was going to play with focus stacking images, but it would be nice not to always have to set up a tripod take 6 pics and spend time stacking.
Anybody got any good knowledge on nailing cross range focus for closeup but not macro shooting.
Is shooting this, close just asking to much range from a lens without focus stacking?
I myself am typically using my A7III with either a 16-35mm or 24-70 2.8 lens.

Not being critical to everyone here as I get the same results. I notice on almost all the photos only a small portion of the pic is in sharp focus.
This happens to me on a large portion of my closeup shots. is there a secret to getting sharp closeups across the range, I and many others are missing?
I was going to play with focus stacking images, but it would be nice not to always have to set up a tripod take 6 pics and spend time stacking.
Anybody got any good knowledge on nailing cross range focus for closeup but not macro shooting.
Is shooting this, close just asking to much range from a lens without focus stacking?
I myself am typically using my A7III with either a 16-35mm or 24-70 2.8 lens.
Other than stopping down - focus stacking is about it. Good light and dialing in your desired DOF. I don’t have a proper macro lens for my Sony kit but focus stacking is super easy in Affinity Photo.

That was my assumption, the focus stacking process looks fairly quick and easy.
Its more having to break out a tripod to get the job done. means you gotta stop the show so to speak in the middle of a dinner party so you can get a photo of a dinner plate.
less awkward of your in a photo studio for a shoot

That was my assumption, the focus stacking process looks fairly quick and easy.
Its more having to break out a tripod to get the job done. means you gotta stop the show so to speak in the middle of a dinner party so you can get a photo of a dinner plate.
less awkward of your in a photo studio for a shoot
No argument there. Then again if I were to take a serious food image I’d have a tripod and lights with modifiers. :)

DSC03797_01.jpg
Head cheese on the way !

Back