Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
A big thanks to everyone who joined in with the first food photography challenge last month!

So for this month (October 2020) the challenge is macro or close-up photography. You don't need a macro lens to participate as a lot of lenses will let you shoot pretty close-up, so you can't use not owning a macro as an excuse not to participate!

This is not a competition so there will be no winners announced, it's purely for fun and self-development.

Simple Rules:
  • Sony cameras only please
  • Post as many times as you would like
  • Have fun!
Macro and Close-up Photography Tips:

If you are looking for tips and inspiration then this article should help to get you started:

https://www.dpreview.com/learn/1063005124/10-macro-photography-tips-for-beginners

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone posts! :)

Last edited:
Wings Of Gossamer 1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 8000
Venetian (Blind) Blow Fly  12 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 640
Yellow On Daisy 12.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 1250
Towards The Edge.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 1250
A7306575.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 479.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 3200
A7306537.jpg

Hi Gigi, it’s a Gecko. One of the MANY critters we have here in the Arizonan desert. My back gardens full of them. Harmless fun to watch little buggers and tons better to see vs the scorpiions we have too!

Cheers ~ Peter

It's pretty grim outside today so here are a couple of close-up shows of my window as the rain is lashing against them.

rain2.jpg

rain1.jpg

Thankyou Timothy looks like the 90mm macro performing well .can not wait to get one .
It is a lovely lens. With the next lockdown looming it might be difficult to get hold of again. I think it was sold out for most of the summer! Although the new Sigma 105 2.8 also looks very promising!

A big thanks to everyone who joined in with the first food photography challenge last month!

So for this month (October 2020) the challenge is macro or close-up photography. You don't need a macro lens to participate as a lot of lenses will let you shoot pretty close-up, so you can't use not owning a macro as an excuse not to participate!

This is not a competition so there will be no winners announced, it's purely for fun and self-development.

Simple Rules:
  • Please only post new photos that you have taken yourself for this challenge, not archived shots
  • Post as many times as you would like
  • Have fun!
Macro and Close-up Photography Tips:

If you are looking for tips and inspiration then this article should help to get you started:

https://www.dpreview.com/learn/1063005124/10-macro-photography-tips-for-beginners

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone posts! :)
Is this limited to those shot with Sony bodies?

Just the alpha bodies or compact Sony as well? Trying to find the rules but I'm new and I've not seen anything explicit yet.
You can find the forum guidelines here, although I don't actually specify which camera bodies as I thought having Alpha in the site name would be sufficient. I'll get something added to make this clear. Basically I'd prefer to keep the focus on Alpha bodies, which is why you won't find dedicated forums for Sony's compact cameras. That said, I don't mind too much if shots get posted from time to time with cameras like the RX10 which share a lot of technology with the Alpha cameras, and I know a lot of Alpha Shooters also own an RX100, but I won't shout about this.

Back