Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
It's a new month so it's time for a new challenge. How about a landscape photography challenge this time? We've surprisingly not covered landscape before!

This is not a competition so there will be no winners announced, it's purely for fun and self-development.

Simple Rules:
  • Sony cameras only please
  • No sky replacements, keep it real
  • Please don't post more than 3 separate posts, multiple images may be included in a single post
The challenge does not end when the month ends, I always leave them open so you can continue to add to it whenever you like.

Have fun!

I love Landscape photography, but I so rarely get to do it, maybe because I associate it with travel and epic vistas. I suppose I just need to step out of my comfort zone and find something to photograph here in south Florida besides sunrises and sunsets.

1st of my posts for the Landscape (Current Challenge) This was taken from one of the local golf courses in Ayrshire Scotland

Bogside Sunset .jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 840.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 100

2nd of my posts for the Landscape (Current Challenge) This is the old pier at Portencross in Ayrshire Scotland looking over to the Island Of Arran
Dying Light 12.jpg
  • ILCE-7M2
  • FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS
  • 29.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 34 sec
  • ISO 100

2nd of my posts for the Landscape (Current Challenge) This is the old pier at Portencross in Ayrshire Scotland looking over to the Island Of Arran
Did you use and ND filter for this shot Malcolm?

Did you use and ND filter for this shot Malcolm?
Honest answer Hank I can't remember but going with the exif at f16 and34sec I doubt it 🙏

My 3 images for Landscape Photography Challenge Taken at the Corpus Christi Bayfront. My home
Angiebirmingham_shrimpBoat sunrise-10.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 400
Angiebirmingham_Gull sunrise-20.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100
Angiebirmingham_shrimpBoat sunrise-01.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 3200

3rd of my posts for the Landscape (Current Challenge) This is the old pier again at Portencross in Ayrshire Scotland looking over to the Island Of Arran looking good under a light fall of snow
Portencross Pier To Arran copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS
  • 78.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

Lots of beautiful shots posted. Here's a full moon rising at sunset over the cliffs at the east end of the town of Kanab Utah. The only place to catch the moon rising over the cliffs was at the shoulder of the highway into town. Scouted a spot the night before that was wide enough for me to be off the road out of traffic, yet still in a spot to catch moonrise.

MoonriseAtSunsetKanabUT.jpg

A closer shot. This one is cropped from the original. I had a nice dust mote smudge in the sky on the left side.

MoonriseKanabUT.jpg

My first photo posting. Out my back door looking west. I need to get a telephoto to get all the hawks, geese and asundry animals.
_DSC0107edit_1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/14
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 1000

Thank you for everyone's help. I am finally starting to feel like I can do some of what I want. I'm taking Kelbyone photoshop classes and also a class on the A7iii. Phew. Lots to learn.

I have to admit I am not one who does a lot of landscape shots so this might be as close to one I will find.
Taken from the passenger side of a moving car through the windscreen of the car.
REA03848.JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary 020
  • 113.9 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 100

This photo is the Seattle, Washington skyline taken from Salty's Restaurant, Alki Point in West Seattle last year while on vacation.
Seattle Skyline.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 20mm F1.8 G
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 100

3 Random shots from Collections from New South Wales Australia

Attachments

• 20190509_Tapitallee_Holiday_29.jpg
    20190509_Tapitallee_Holiday_29.jpg
    746.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20160403_Highlands_Golf_Club_54-Edit.jpg
    20160403_Highlands_Golf_Club_54-Edit.jpg
    918.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20150502_Garratt_MacqPass_15.jpg
    20150502_Garratt_MacqPass_15.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 39
Following the last which is water .
I have the Murray River and one of the real Paddle steamers still running on the water.
DSC00540 - Copy.JPG
  • DSLR-A390
  • 22.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 100

Where do you live, Wade, if you don't mind me asking? You have some great looking scenery there!
I live near Newberg, OR. This picture was from Smith Rocks State Park which is near Redmond, OR, about 3+ hours from my house.

I live near Newberg, OR. This picture was from Smith Rocks State Park which is near Redmond, OR, about 3+ hours from my house.
Smith had some nice rocks, eh?

Sometimes even 14mm isn't wide enough and you have to resort to panoramic. !Xaus pan, Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, 4 photos, stiched in Lightroom.

A1_03997-Pano.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 14mm F1.8 GM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 200

Beautiful sunset sky over Derwent Lake , Keswick in the Lake District
_SCD1745-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM
  • 43.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 1000

I've always had a soft spot for black and white. My late father many, many, years ago, when I was a kid asking why do people take back and white photos when there's color film, replied. "Sometimes color distracts from the view." He shared some examples in both photos and film, and it clicked. Because of, that B&W has a special place for me in the photography and film world.

Since the panorama wall has been broken in a previous image, I'll add one: Bryce National Park. This was a bit tough, hazy morning skies shooting into the sun. Still pleased with the a6000 dynamic range. A little overexposed in the highlights on the left, but decent details in the shadows. Second one did a good job of capturing the feeling of distance and vastness of the view. I love places that make me feel small, and views like that always do it for me. First image is using the kit lens, and the second a Meike 12mm manual lens from a different spot. I don't know what f-stop it was shot at. Probably pretty high for depth of field.

BrycePano2.jpg
  • ILCE-6000
  • E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 100

BrycePano3.jpg
  • ILCE-6000
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

I've always had a soft spot for black and white. My late father many, many, years ago, when I was a kid asking why do people take back and white photos when there's color film, replied. "Sometimes color distracts from the view." He shared some examples in both photos and film, and it clicked. Because of, that B&W has a special place for me in the photography and film world.

Since the panorama wall has been broken in a previous image, I'll add one: Bryce National Park. This was a bit tough, hazy morning skies shooting into the sun. Still pleased with the a6000 dynamic range. A little overexposed in the highlights on the left, but decent details in the shadows. Second one did a good job of capturing the feeling of distance and vastness of the view. I love places that make me feel small, and views like that always do it for me. First image is using the kit lens, and the second a Meike 12mm manual lens from a different spot. I don't know what f-stop it was shot at. Probably pretty high for depth of field.

View attachment 23048

View attachment 23049
Very nice images. Love panoramas.

Back