Photography Challenge - The Golden Hour

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
A big thanks to everyone who joined in with the selective color photography challenge last month.

So for this month I thought we could try a golden hour challenge.

If you would like some tips on golden hour photography then this article will point you in the right direction:
https://digital-photography-school.com/how-photograph-golden-hour/

And you can also find some inspiration over on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/goldenhour/

This is not a competition so there will be no winners announced, it's purely for fun and self-development.

Simple Rules:
  • Sony cameras only please
  • No sky replacements, keep it real
  • Please don't post more than 3 separate posts, multiple images may be included in a single post
Have fun!

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
The term Golden Hour evokes an almost emotional response from me as I remember living in California for 5 years. Sadly I wasn't equipped with a camera back then, but when I got my a6000 a few years ago, I did take one trip. Here are a few from Santa Monica at Golden Hour:
DSC01159_5x7.jpg
DSC01177_5x7.jpg
DSC01196_5x7.jpg

EDIT: There was also this one I took of my wife, but as it turns out, after using the camera for only 2 months at the time I didn't yet grasp the concept of blown-out highlights 😅

DSC01179_5x7.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
The term Golden Hour evokes an almost emotional response from me as I remember living in California for 5 years. Sadly I wasn't equipped with a camera back then, but when I got my a6000 a few years ago, I did take one trip. Here are a few from Santa Monica at Golden Hour:
View attachment 12525
View attachment 12526
View attachment 12527

EDIT: There was also this one I took of my wife, but as it turns out, after using the camera for only 2 months at the time I didn't yet grasp the concept of blown-out highlights 😅

View attachment 12531
"
I didn't yet grasp the concept of blown-out highlights 😅" I got a real chuckle out of this, because I am finding a boatload of things that I have yet to grasp the concepts for. I'm into photography about about 10 months and I continue to be shocked at what I don't know.

Reactions: FowlersFreeTime

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
"
I didn't yet grasp the concept of blown-out highlights 😅" I got a real chuckle out of this, because I am finding a boatload of things that I have yet to grasp the concepts for. I'm into photography about about 10 months and I continue to be shocked at what I don't know.
Actually, on second thought, it was still a good photo as I exposed correctly for the most important part: my subject. Yes the sky is blown out, but in the long term, if I look back on that day and that picture, capturing her correctly was more important than the sunset behind her.
I am still struggling with this dilemma when I photograph someone in mixed lighting (or bright backlit) conditions. Still learning!

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.