Followers
Following
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
Just in case any of you folks are packing your bags, surf boards and sun protection to winter in the Pacific Northwest, take a look of what the next four or five months will be looking like. You might want to try something a thousand miles or more south.

DSC00526.JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
  • 53.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 160

Ugh

They say you get used to it. LOL Actually, I am used to it. It is just part of life. If someone has an umbrella you know they are tourists. Locals do not bother.

Last edited:
Florida is nice this time of year if you need a break from gray skies (y)

They say you get used to it. LOL Actually, I am used to it. It is just part of life. If someone has an umbrella you know they are tourists. Locals do not bother.
I livre in the UK, we have extremely erratic weather really, this week especially! It's been blinding sun one minute and chucking it down the next. Tuesday it rained hard all morning, dreadful grey skies. By 1pm it was 21 degrees and sunny, hence the diver shots :D

Florida is nice this time of year if you need a break from gray skies (y)

I have bolted for SoCal in the past. I have friends down there and it is a fun drive. I take my lunatic Schipperke along as navigator and co-pilot. But, surprisingly, I have gotten used to this wretched weather. As I type rays of sunshine pour through my window. It will last another two minutes.

PNW is great - it gives me the reason to have the fast GM primes. 🤪 It does get quite dark this time of the year and sadly we have to fall back to PST.
Makes for a great challenge for infrared photography. Shot below was near the jetty at Fort Stevens.

Or testing your camera's abilities with high ISO. 😄 Yeah, this was on a bright period of the day this week in the Willamette Valley. ISO 25,600.

This is "High Noon" in Oregon on that strange day that the white orb might been seen - taken back in 2018. This is why coffee is so important here. :)

A7200239c1v1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M2
  • Voigtländer 10mm/F5.6 Hyper Wide Heliar asph. (Sony E)
  • 10.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 250

This is "High Noon" in Oregon on that strange day that the white orb might been seen - taken back in 2018. This is why coffee is so important here. :)

View attachment 13896

Yeah, three years ago a short, elusive glimpse of sun. LOL Actually we do get sun through the winter but that gray, rainy, overcast photo is what most of the weather is like. I have to get my breathable waterproof jacket down and respray it so it is waterproof again. Kids here walk home in the rain, usually a steady light downpour. They wear their wet sweaters and pay the rain no mind. Down in the SF Bay Area kids wear slickers and wellies in less weather. It's all what you are used to. Prepare yourself for more mournful gray photos, my world in winter. There is a stark beauty to it.

Back