Question - A7rIVa...saving settings to SD Card

Reynolds

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Reynolds Young
Hey, guys! I am pretty new to the Alpha system. Drank the Leica Koolaid for decades and a so enjoying the fact that Sony glass is so good! So, learning! I am trying to save to my SD card the settings I have established as my "go to" setup. I go to to the "Save/Load Settings" in the Toolbox, page 7, select it, select "Save" on the next page, select "Save New" on the next page....and, get "This function is currently disabled". Clearly, I have selected something elsewhere that is causing this to be disabled. Can anyone shed some light on my dilemma? Many thanks and Merry Christmas to all!!

Reynolds

Attachments

• IMG_6304.jpg
    IMG_6304.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6306.jpg
    IMG_6306.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6307.jpg
    IMG_6307.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 44
Was that card formatted in that camera? R/W protection tab of the card broke? Card full? Try with a freshly formatted card.
‘How did you managed to save the 2 previous settings files in the same second?

Many thanks, Recip!! Actually, the card was formatted, the R/W tab was fine, card empty. But, followed your thought...put in a freshly formatted card and the settings were saved easily. For some reason, it didn't want to save with the other two settings files in place. ?? Oh, the two settings files were downloaded from another pro photography at the very same time. I think that is the "how" to your "same second" question.

Many thanks...I was just unable to reach your logical conclusion...try another card!!

Merry Christmas, all!!

Reynolds

Many thanks, Recip!! Actually, the card was formatted, the R/W tab was fine, card empty. But, followed your thought...put in a freshly formatted card and the settings were saved easily. For some reason, it didn't want to save with the other two settings files in place. ?? Oh, the two settings files were downloaded from another pro photography at the very same time. I think that is the "how" to your "same second" question.

Many thanks...I was just unable to reach your logical conclusion...try another card!!

Merry Christmas, all!!

Reynolds
The camera probably got confused by finding those 2 .dat files that it did not generate itself. I think it keeps an internal database of the card contents. My suggestion going forward is to set aside the smallest card you have around for those settings archival purposes, format it in the target camera, label it with that camera name, load/ingest/import those other dat files one by one and re-save them one by one on your archival settings card.

Boy...great suggestion! I did save them to a Sony desktop folder. But, I will have to put them on an SD card to apply them...so why not put them on the SD card to start with? Many thanks! Big help!!

I have had some weird issues in the past with an A7M3 when trying to write new images to a card wich had its previous (also 7M3 generated) content altered (some files, not all, deleted on a PC) in between days of use. The card became unrecognized by the 7M3, could not even format it there again. Only after formatting first on a PC and then again on the 7M3 did I recovered from that. So I believe Sony cameras build/maintain some database with the card contents (written by them) and are quite capricious when that content is altered externally and doesn’t match that database anymore.
seeying the 2 dat files with the same time-stamp was what pointed me to you having fallen to the same
‘trap’ of altering the SD content off-camera.

That's fascinating...obviously, I have a lot to learn technically...but, loving the photographic results. I am afraid I fall into that large group who also own the latest iPhone...and use about 10% of it capability. But, unlike the iPhone, a utility, I really want to get more out of this wonderful camera.

Back