Spiderx1

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Randy Siers
Looking for suggestions on how to perhaps program a custom button or such.
I find myself in a position where I am shooting BIF, so the speed is 1/4000sec and the ISO is 6000.
Then I run across a nice flower or perched butterfly and I want 1/250sec and ISO 400.
Then here comes the birds again. So back and forth from a fast moving object where stop motion is important, to a situation where resolution and no noise is desired.
Currently I just preprogram a CAMSET file and use the top dial (1,2,3) but I really am looking for something I can do without putting the camera down.
Sony A-1.

On the RIV I have my AEL button set to recall a custom set for BIF, so I can just use it instantly and then go back to static shooting on the AF On button.
This should be possible on the A1.

Thank You, I will give it a try, I was under the impression that I could not have both an ISO and Speed change on one button.

Thank You, I will give it a try, I was under the impression that I could not have both an ISO and Speed change on one button.
The way it works is that you are recalling a set, which can't be changed on the fly, so, for example, my custom recall for BIF have these settings.
ISO Auto
1/3200th
f6.3
+2 compensation
Expanded Flexible Spot with Tracking
Centre Weighted Metering
AF-C
Hi Speed + Shutter

The focussing is still on the back button, just on the AEL instead of AF-On. This means I just have to slide my thumb across to use this mode (and click OSS off on the lens)

Looking for suggestions on how to perhaps program a custom button or such.
I find myself in a position where I am shooting BIF, so the speed is 1/4000sec and the ISO is 6000.
Then I run across a nice flower or perched butterfly and I want 1/250sec and ISO 400.
Then here comes the birds again. So back and forth from a fast moving object where stop motion is important, to a situation where resolution and no noise is desired.
Currently I just preprogram a CAMSET file and use the top dial (1,2,3) but I really am looking for something I can do without putting the camera down.
Sony A-1.
Custom hold button set recall functionality will solve your needs.
I have exactly the same situation as you: shooting surf I am at 5fps or 10fps, S-mode, 1/3200s, auto-iso, focus area zone-tracking. Then there is someone new just entering the water or walking with the surfboard on the beach so I press and hold my “Slow” button (lens custom button) to recall custom set #1 that puts me into A-priority, single frame, iso100. Then back to wave tracking at 5fps or 10fps (no button being pressed), then I sense the surfer I am tracking riding the wave is going to pull some acrobatic manouver so time to press and hold my “fast” Button (I choosed the AEL button) to recall custom set #2 to override whichever fps is on the dial (usualy 5fps or 10fps) to Hi+ (20 FPS guaranteed) all without taking the eye from the viewfinder nor stoping to track that surfers wave.

camera A1. Let me know if you need some help with setting up your custom sets.

check this post for some pics

Last edited:
You can have as many setting overridden with a single button (hold) as you want if you program it to recall a custom set. Very powerful feature available in most Sony Alpha cameras. Not trivial to grasp or setup tough, it took me quite a while to figure this one out, even after watching Mark Gallers video on the subject.

Last edited:
Back