Sony A6400 Quickest access to My Menu

Fraser-Cave

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
TOM CAVE
I've recently converted from Fuji to Sony and am setting up my A7iv and A6400. In order to get easiest access to the My Menu option, I've assigned it to a the top video button on the A7, but I'm struggling to do something similar on the A6400. Can one assign a custom button to the My Menu with this camera, or perhaps add it to one of the Fn 'slots'? The best I've managed is to tile the main menu and then make sure the last item I use there in My Menu. This gives me a two button press to get there, but am I missing a trick?
And, while I'm posting, please forgive a cheeky bonus question: I assume one can't have separate Fn slots, one for each of still and video?
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, Tom.
Welcome to the community.
I've recently converted from Fuji to Sony and am setting up my A7iv and A6400. In order to get easiest access to the My Menu option, I've assigned it to a the top video button on the A7, but I'm struggling to do something similar on the A6400. Can one assign a custom button to the My Menu with this camera, or perhaps add it to one of the Fn 'slots'? The best I've managed is to tile the main menu and then make sure the last item I use there in My Menu. This gives me a two button press to get there, but am I missing a trick?

And, while I'm posting, please forgive a cheeky bonus question: I assume one can't have separate Fn slots, one for each of still and video?
On the A7 IV
Go to menu item 40/51 = that's Fn Menu settings
On the next screen, you'll see you can customize the Fn menus
- the top panel is for stills
- the bottom panel is for video

Welcome aboard Tom.
Its funny how different every shooter sets up their camera. 3+ years and I've never used the "My Menu" option. I do make use of the Fn button though, and I've mapped everything I want there. Also, I mapped C1 to be my manual/auto-focus toggle for times when using a lens that doesn't have a dedicated switch.
Re your bonus question, there doesn't appear to be more than ONE Fn layout. When I'm in video, it just "grays out" the still photo options that are unusable in video mode.

Welcome aboard Tom.
Its funny how different every shooter sets up their camera. 3+ years and I've never used the "My Menu" option. I do make use of the Fn button though, and I've mapped everything I want there. Also, I mapped C1 to be my manual/auto-focus toggle for times when using a lens that doesn't have a dedicated switch.
Re your bonus question, there doesn't appear to be more than ONE Fn layout. When I'm in video, it just "grays out" the still photo options that are unusable in video mode.
Hi, Chris,
I have two Fn menus on my A7 IV.

Hi, Chris,
I have two Fn menus on my A7 IV.
Hi ST, I should have clarified, my response was about the a6400.
In the a6400, there is only one Fn customizable menu and its the same whether you're in photo or video mode. I checked twice now. Interestingly, you CAN have different custom button mappings for stills/video/review modes, but not exactly what Tom was asking.

You A7IV folks have the benefit of the newer menu system compared to the ancient APSC menu. I also suspect that the A7IV have better options for the "hybrid" user.

Hi, Tom.
Welcome to the community.

On the A7 IV
Many thanks. I've been able to do so for the A7, but it's mimicking this with the A6400 that's my problem

Welcome aboard Tom.
Many thanks - just glad to know I wasn't being daft!

I don't know about 6400 but the quickest way to access My Menu is setting the Menu key to get you direct access to the My Menu tab. No need of a custom button for that. Look for that option.

Last edited:
I don't know about 6400 but the quickest way to access My Menu is setting the Menu key to start at My Menu tab. No need for a custom button for that.

Sony menus aren't that complicated, they just demand to spend a little time until you understand your needs and select your prefered or most used options for the My Menu tabs. Once you do it, it's not only a super simple menu, but also a menu that just suits your style.

Between the My Menu options, the Fn options and the custom keys everything you would possibly need is only one or two keys away.
Indeed, and this is something I was used to with Fuji. I can do the same with the A7, but my question is specific to the A6400 ans so far, its not something I've been able to replicate

Indeed, and this is something I was used to with Fuji. I can do the same with the A7, but my question is specific to the A6400 ans so far, its not something I've been able to replicate
Are the A7iv and A6400 menu displays the same?
I know the A7iv has the newer menu system and the My Menu can be defaulted to be the first screen you see when you hit the menu key but in the older menu system this was not the case.

Are the A7iv and A6400 menu displays the same?
I know the A7iv has the newer menu system and the My Menu can be defaulted to be the first screen you see when you hit the menu key but in the older menu system this was not the case.
No, quite different and not just because of the additional capabilities of the A7iv.

No, quite different and not just because of the additional capabilities of the A7iv.
If memory serves, the A7 IV was the debut of Sony's new menu system. I deal with the same issue when going back and forth between my A74 and A7R3. It'll take a little time, but you'll eventually get used to it.

As for the other, this could be a product of the older system, or just that it isn't available. I did a search in the online help guide and came up with a few things, although I don't know that any of them will help. But, just in case...

And here's a link to the help guide, which is also available through the 'blog and resources' link at the top of this age. Click 'cameras', then find yours in the table.

Hope this helps!

If memory serves, the A7 IV was the debut of Sony's new menu system. I deal with the same issue when going back and forth between my A74 and A7R3. It'll take a little time, but you'll eventually get used to it.

As for the other, this could be a product of the older system, or just that it isn't available. I did a search in the online help guide and came up with a few things, although I don't know that any of them will help. But, just in case...

And here's a link to the help guide, which is also available through the 'blog and resources' link at the top of this age. Click 'cameras', then find yours in the table.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks. Yes, I'd waded my way through the Songlish, but wasn't sure if I'd missed something somewhere. I think my tiled menu option gets me pretty close and, as I don't do a huge amount of video work, I can make do with the single Fn screen (and for the Brits amongst us, that last statement isn't me swearing! ;-) )

Back