Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
A red kite shot at Bwlch Nant yr Arian in Mid Wales.

redkite.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 640

Lovely capture Tim. I've got a weeks holiday in Wales planned for September and I'm hoping to visit the Red Kite Feeding Station at Rhayader and shoot from one of the hides there. Have you ever visited the feeding station there?

I was thinking of investing in the Olympus EE-1 Dot Sight to help track the birds in flight and I saw here - https://www.alphashooters.com/compare/sony-fe-200-600-vs-fe-100-400-gm - that you have used this.

How did you find the Dot Sight and would you say it was worth investing in?

• Admin
Thanks Mike! A week in Wales sounds great! :)

If you mean Gigrin Farm then it's not really my favourite place to be honest. Your view is quite restricted from the hides and the background scenery is not particularly exciting. For me it's an extra 30 minute drive to reach Bwlch Nant yr Arian where they also feed the kites daily. The background scenery is so much nicer and there's a lake as well, it's also free except for a few pounds to park. They normally feed at 3pm in the summer but right now it says on their website that they are feeding at different times to avoid large crowds, but I can't imagine them deviating too much from what the kites are used to. I hope to get there myself soon so will find out what time they do feed.

The dot sight is a great investment and makes it a lot easier to spot and track birds at 600mm, I use it almost all the time with the kites now.

Thanks Mike! A week in Wales sounds great! :)

If you mean Gigrin Farm then it's not really my favourite place to be honest. Your view is quite restricted from the hides and the background scenery is not particularly exciting. For me it's an extra 30 minute drive to reach Bwlch Nant yr Arian where they also feed the kites daily. The background scenery is so much nicer and there's a lake as well, it's also free except for a few pounds to park. They normally feed at 3pm in the summer but right now it says on their website that they are feeding at different times to avoid large crowds, but I can't imagine them deviating too much from what the kites are used to. I hope to get there myself soon so will find out what time they do feed.

The dot sight is a great investment and makes it a lot easier to spot and track birds at 600mm, I use it almost all the time with the kites now.
Hi Tim,
does the dot site fit on the A7iii hotshoe properly? I know that there are issues with it fitting on the RX10 hotshoe snuggly.

• Admin
does the dot site fit on the A7iii hotshoe properly? I know that there are issues with it fitting on the RX10 hotshoe snuggly.
There is a little wiggle room but it's only an issue if I knock it, it doesn't move otherwise.

First shots with my new 100-400GM. Only a few tweaks in Lightroom. comments welcome. 17FB7E4B-1CF8-4BC6-9DCA-5877753910D5.jpeg 64CFD145-C31C-4773-85C9-60FC22A5E4D3.jpeg 829AC846-14C5-4E74-B3CE-AF37F2BDC673.jpeg

Years ago, there was an adapter sold that allowed a number of different red dot pistol and rifle sights to be mounted on cameras. The main purpose was birds in flight but I guess the idea didn't take off! :)

• Admin
First shots with my new 100-400GM. Only a few tweaks in Lightroom. comments welcome.
Nice shots Garry, where were you shooting them? It does look like the ISO is quite high or have you cropped in? Congrats on the 100-400! :)

Nice shots Garry, where were you shooting them? It does look like the ISO is quite high or have you cropped in? Congrats on the 100-400! :)
These are cropped by 40%, taken at ISO 800, F8. While they do look good, i‘m not overly happy with the outcome. But then again, first time with this lens, so still playing 👍

A cracker

Years ago, there was an adapter sold that allowed a number of different red dot pistol and rifle sights to be mounted on cameras. The main purpose was birds in flight but I guess the idea didn't take off! :)
Yes, I got one from this company.
https://astromaniaoptics.com/produc...rd-reflex-red-green-dot-sight-to-dslr-cameras

Took a week (presumably from China) but works well. I bought a cheap red door sight off Amazon. Send to work okay but haven't had a chance to test it out with BIFs yet. Planning a trip to Wales ASAP!

Lovely capture Tim. I've got a weeks holiday in Wales planned for September and I'm hoping to visit the Red Kite Feeding Station at Rhayader and shoot from one of the hides there. Have you ever visited the feeding station there?

I was thinking of investing in the Olympus EE-1 Dot Sight to help track the birds in flight and I saw here - https://www.alphashooters.com/compare/sony-fe-200-600-vs-fe-100-400-gm - that you have used this.

How did you find the Dot Sight and would you say it was worth investing in?
Red Kite 2 Cr.jpg

A somewhat dated photo from Dunfries....Photos of Red Kites however, somehow never get old |
Red Kite 1 Cr.jpg

Back