Redesigned Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II Announced

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
Sony has announced a new redesigned FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Mark II lens (SEL70200GM2), 5 years after the FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS (SEL70200GM) hit the shelves.

Weighing in at 1045g (2.3lbs) the new Mark II version is nearly a third lighter than the original Mark I lens, but its external dimensions at 88 x 200mm (3.5 x 7.9″) remain the same.

The 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II will cost $2799 in the US, £2,600 in the UK and €3,000 in Europe. It will start shipping in November but can be pre-ordered from today in Europe and from 10am ET, Thu Oct 14 in the US.

Further details and early reviews in the blog post

Andrew

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 26, 2021
Name
Andrew
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Berkshire
Is there a market for up to 200mm at £2,600? Surely F2.8 would be better suited around 100-400 range.

Last edited:

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
The 70-200 F2.8 is a pretty versatile lens, it can be used for sports, events, wildlife, landscape and even portrait shooting. I don't think a 100-400 F2.8 even exists, if it did it would be pretty big and very expensive. But yep, it's not a cheap lens and I expect the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD lens at half the price will satisfy most people, although that lens doesn't support teleconverters.

Reactions: Andrew

Andrew

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 26, 2021
Name
Andrew
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Berkshire
Fair enough, guess when you get paid for that line of work it’s a non event

Clix Pix

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Northern Virginia Suburbs of Washington, DC
The fact that this new 70-200mm GM will work nicely with Sony's two teleconverters, the 1.4x and the 2.0x, may be for many photographers a strong selling point.....

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
The fact that this new 70-200mm GM will work nicely with Sony's two teleconverters, the 1.4x and the 2.0x, may be for many photographers a strong selling point.....
The Mk1 also worked with the teleconverters but they will soften the image slightly. Looks like it's the same with the Mk 2 going off Gerald Undone's review.

Paul stuart

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 29, 2020
The Mk1 also worked with the teleconverters but they will soften the image slightly. Looks like it's the same with the Mk 2 going off Gerald Undone's review.
It will affect performance (sharpness) ,but the new lens may handle the t/c better for auto focus ,i will probably purchase and sell my mk1 but i am in no hurry the mk1 still works well for me ,but then if sony develop a 300mm f2.8 i would rather save for this type of lens or a 180 macro .

Reactions: Timothy Mayo

pointreyes

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 7, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Dallas/Oregon
It will affect performance (sharpness) ,but the new lens may handle the t/c better for auto focus ,i will probably purchase and sell my mk1 but i am in no hurry the mk1 still works well for me ,but then if sony develop a 300mm f2.8 i would rather save for this type of lens or a 180 macro .
My mk1 with 1.4 TC on the A1 did very well at an event in low light conditions (many of the shots were taken from ISO 2500 to 16000). Out of 4,000+ photos, two were out of focus. I'm more frustrated with not being able to use the zoom for close focus strong backlit situations. The CA was so bad that I finally got the 135 GM and the old Sigma 180 f2.8 macro as a work around. CA was not an issue for any other conditions. And from what I have read, most 70-200 zooms will have this problem due to the complexities of the glass when being used wide open. The mark II has closer focusing than the mark I but I like having my primes. Really wish Sony would release a 180 GM macro (the Sigma 180 is bigger and heavier than the zoom). Ever since I got the primes, I rarely reach for the zoom.

Reactions: Timothy Mayo

Paul stuart

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 29, 2020
My mk1 with 1.4 TC on the A1 did very well at an event in low light conditions (many of the shots were taken from ISO 2500 to 16000). Out of 4,000+ photos, two were out of focus. I'm more frustrated with not being able to use the zoom for close focus strong backlit situations. The CA was so bad that I finally got the 135 GM and the old Sigma 180 f2.8 macro as a work around. CA was not an issue for any other conditions. And from what I have read, most 70-200 zooms will have this problem due to the complexities of the glass when being used wide open. The mark II has closer focusing than the mark I but I like having my primes. Really wish Sony would release a 180 GM macro (the Sigma 180 is bigger and heavier than the zoom). Ever since I got the primes, I rarely reach for the zoom.
looks like the new 70-200mm is prime quality in a zoom c/a looks really well controlled especially at 70mm even at .40m basically a near flawless lens for a zoom ,but hard to to get of the hype train the 135mm f1.8 is also exceptional and half the price ,still the price of the lens it should be good ,

Kevriano

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
looks like the new 70-200mm is prime quality in a zoom c/a looks really well controlled especially at 70mm even at .40m basically a near flawless lens for a zoom ,but hard to to get of the hype train the 135mm f1.8 is also exceptional and half the price ,still the price of the lens it should be good ,
At 2.5 K it needs to be exceptional. I'm with you, we need a 300 2.8 or even a 300 f4

Paul stuart

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 29, 2020
At 2.5 K it needs to be exceptional. I'm with you, we need a 300 2.8 or even a 300 f4
It looks near perfect other than some flare that gets controlled better on some prime lenses ,also it would double as a macro type lens ,the big sell is the 4 linear af motors which only get given to the gm series and only the primes up until this point ,but there will be 3rd party competition from sigma which will be as good and probably half the price ,as well as the very good tamron 70-180 at around 3rd the price ,if you do not need 30fps or 20 fps or want/need t/c options these are very good choices .but then at this price nearly half way to a 300mm f2.8 which will give more of the exotic look to images than a 70-200mm f2.8 ever will ,but for sony wedding sports photographers this is the best option and will gather a good solid reason to shoot sony ,the nikon is slow focusing and heavy the canon is not as good optically ,does not accept t/c and is pumper lens all costing similar prices .lens prices have increased though when first released a 70-200mm f2.8 cost £1500

Kevriano

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
Yep, Nikon have really lost track in the last 3 years. I think they've given up on wildlife shooters. I actually haven't used my Nikon fit 70 200 anywhere near as much as I thought I would, so I'm not now going to get one for the Sony. Macro next for me.

Reactions: J.Duffy

J.Duffy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Jan 26, 2021
Name
Jessica Duffy
Country
United States
City/State
Madison, Indiana
Yep, Nikon have really lost track in the last 3 years. I think they've given up on wildlife shooters. I actually haven't used my Nikon fit 70 200 anywhere near as much as I thought I would, so I'm not now going to get one for the Sony. Macro next for me.
Love macro!

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.