Sony A1 Remote Control for the Alpha 1?

GracieAllen

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
David Perez
I did a search in here and didn't find anything about a remote control. I looked on line and found a LOT of gibberish that I'm not sure is applicable. I don't particularly care if it's wired or wireless, but I would like a multiple shot, intervalometer-style remote like I'm used to from the DSLR.

I can find a bunch on Amazon, but if the remote works for an A7R III or A7 IV or A9 does that mean it ALSO works on the Alpha 1? I don't know if the items just hadn't been updated in a long time, but I didn't find many that said they'd work on an A7R IV - would one of THOSE work on the Alpha 1?

I HAVE an older, universal, wired remote that I've used on my Nikons. It SAYS it'll work on the A7R ???, and the cord it showed for the Sony was a USB 2 Micro B. Tried it. Nothing...

Everything I've found appears to plug into the Micro B port but the one I have and tried did nothing. What do I need for a wired/wireless remote for the Alpha 1?

Last edited:
Imaging Edge Mobile on your phone is the easiest way, and it gives you full control over every aspect of what you are shooting.

Imaging Edge Mobile on your phone is the easiest way, and it gives you full control over every aspect of what you are shooting.
I used it the other night with my A7iv but if it wouldn't maintain a connection and then when I tried to reconnect, I had to attempt connection and cancel 3 times on each occasion that it dropped. Worked well while connected but the connection was flaky on my new Android device.
This was after I realised that my RMT-DSLR2 wasn't working because the a7iv doesn't have an infrared receiver.

I'd be interested to know if you A1 blokes have better results and what mobile device you use with it.

I used it the other night with my A7iv but if it wouldn't maintain a connection and then when I tried to reconnect, I had to attempt connection and cancel 3 times on each occasion that it dropped. Worked well while connected but the connection was flaky on my new Android device.
This was after I realised that my RMT-DSLR2 wasn't working because the a7iv doesn't have an infrared receiver.

I'd be interested to know if you A1 blokes have better results and what mobile device you use with it.
Yes it's not the most stable connection at times. I only ever use it when shooting landscapes, which isn't often, so it's not a big issue, but when it's connected it's great. As you say, it may be better on the A1

How about something a little more reliable than it sounds like Imaging Edge is... And if possible, I DON'T carry a cell phone when I'm out. So, anybody have a pointer to an actual remote that will work with the Alpha 1? I can buy one of the $20-50 ones on amazon, but it would be good to know which are likely to work... A7R III? A7R IV (which I haven't seen), some other A? And do they all use the USB2 micro B port? 'Cause the one I have that does, doesn't appear to work on the Alpha 1...

How about something a little more reliable than it sounds like Imaging Edge is... And if possible, I DON'T carry a cell phone when I'm out. So, anybody have a pointer to an actual remote that will work with the Alpha 1? I can buy one of the $20-50 ones on amazon, but it would be good to know which are likely to work... A7R III? A7R IV (which I haven't seen), some other A? And do they all use the USB2 micro B port? 'Cause the one I have that does, doesn't appear to work on the Alpha 1...
Sony RMT-P1BT. This will work, via the camera Bluetooth. I checked compatibility on the Sony page and it is all ok.

I use the Sony RMT-P1BT and it works fine on the A1

Yes, but does it do the things BEYOND just a button push? As I said in the earlier posts, I'm looking for at least SOME of the same capability I previously had - shoot a series, delay, intervalometer.

So, yeah, I know Sony has a button. I'm HOPING for something close to what I've had for the last 15 or so years with the Nikons.

Yes, but does it do the things BEYOND just a button push? As I said in the earlier posts, I'm looking for at least SOME of the same capability I previously had - shoot a series, delay, intervalometer.

So, yeah, I know Sony has a button. I'm HOPING for something close to what I've had for the last 15 or so years with the Nikons.
Hahnel make one, and say its compatible, but it's not the most programmable thing. I think Sony want you to use Imaging Edge, which is why there isn't one.

I'm getting different responses from different forums at this point. Elsewhere, they're telling me the JJC unit works with the Alpha 1, and another response said the generic one from Amazon they got for the A7R III also works on the Alpha 1.

This doesn't seem like something that should be this bizarre... DOES the USB 2 micro B port have the ability to operate the camera? I don't care if it can focus or change settings or any of that, but can it trigger the Alpha 1 to shoot?

And Imaging Edge doesn't seem to be anywhere NEAR a reasonable alternative given that it requires a cell phone and appears to be somewhat unreliable.

I'm getting different responses from different forums at this point. Elsewhere, they're telling me the JJC unit works with the Alpha 1, and another response said the generic one from Amazon they got for the A7R III also works on the Alpha 1.

This doesn't seem like something that should be this bizarre... DOES the USB 2 micro B port have the ability to operate the camera? I don't care if it can focus or change settings or any of that, but can it trigger the Alpha 1 to shoot?

And Imaging Edge doesn't seem to be anywhere NEAR a reasonable alternative given that it requires a cell phone and appears to be somewhat unreliable.
The only way you will be certain is to go and test one I guess. It's down to what you need. I think IE is a good alternative personally, it only loses connection if you change something on camera rather than in App. Obviously if you don't take a phone though you are a bit hampered.

It's in Britain, but if I don't find anything in the US Amazon, maybe. I've asked about a couple other ones - specifically asking if they'll work with the Alpha 1. Haven't heard yet.

Ordered! I tried Imaging Edge... Hopefully the remote will work.

Are you happy with your purchase? Does it allow for continuous shooting? Appears from Amazon info allows for up to 7 shot bursts, is this the case? Thanks.

It works fine as a remote. I haven't tried bursts or anything. My intent is to try it for focus shifting, though It looks pretty primitive for that.

Last edited:
Back