Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Saline (pronounced Suhleen), Michigan has been sister cities with Brecon, Wales since 1966. In 1996, to celebrate 30 years of the sister city agreement, Saline started a Celtic Festival. It has been held annually (COVID interruptions aside) since then. Plenty to see and do, from athletic competitions to music, dance competitions, displays and demonstrations, and wares.

DSC02212 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC02208 by telecast, on Flickr

No self-respecting Celtic Festival would be complete without Nessie and a castle. Looks like Nessie has a brood! These are mechanical, and kids can pull ropes to raised and lower the heads and tails.
DSC02220 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC02291 by telecast, on Flickr

Lay on!
DSC02346 by telecast, on Flickr

Dual impact!
DSC02336 by telecast, on Flickr

Caber toss. Doesn't look like much fun to me.
DSC02496 by telecast, on Flickr

Of course the ladies were involved as well, from sports:
DSC02407 by telecast, on Flickr

To dance:
DSC02570 by telecast, on Flickr

To feats of areal prowess!
DSC02478 by telecast, on Flickr

And sheep herding
DSC02618 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC02621 by telecast, on Flickr

The people and their characters were interesting
DSC02215 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC02223 by telecast, on Flickr

More in the album. And in case your wondering, yes I have a connection. My family used the Inverness District tartan, both ancient and modern. Here's the modern:
DSC02280 by telecast, on Flickr

Cracking series of shots.

Thanks!

Looks similar to our Florida Renaissance Festival, minus the kitschy cosplayers :LOL:
Some good shots there!

Looks similar to our Florida Renaissance Festival, minus the kitschy cosplayers :LOL:
Some good shots there!
Thanks.

They have a big Renaissance Festival about 40 miles north of me in Holly MI. Never been to it.

Thanks.

They have a big Renaissance Festival about 40 miles north of me in Holly MI. Never been to it.
I'm a regular at ours, kilt and all.

Side note on kilts: Sadly my clan was not a major house, so the only official tartan we have is a special order based on a recent design. I wear Blackwatch as it is an open tartan.

Back on topic, these events are great for photos. I can't wait to try my hand at photographing the jousting again.

I'm a regular at ours, kilt and all.

Side note on kilts: Sadly my clan was not a major house, so the only official tartan we have is a special order based on a recent design. I wear Blackwatch as it is an open tartan.

Back on topic, these events are great for photos. I can't wait to try my hand at photographing the jousting again.
Jousting is fun but there's not much action except at the point of contact. I was running around like crazy, if I'd had more time I would've spent some doing some portraits of the knights. Here's one where I particularly liked the horse:

DSC02298 by telecast, on Flickr

This one is pretty cool, it's the exact moment of impact. Burst is your friend!

DSC02325 by telecast, on Flickr

I had the 24-105 on at the start, then realized it was fully extended most of the time so switched over to the 100-400, which was really a better choice.

One of the biggest issues I had with all of these shots was trying to find an angle that didn't have something modern in the background. Snow fence, folding chairs, coolers, etc. Sometimes I'd compose then notice something and move two or three times. In most cases I still never found a good clean background.

Last edited:
I agree Tim, if you aren't in front row or at the front lines its hard not to get a shot with fence/pole, technology or other spectators in the shot. I only had a wide lens on me last time but what I really needed was my 18-135, even though its f5.6 when zoomed in I would have been able to get more details on the knights and the actors playing royal family hehe.

I was thinking the Tamron 28-200 would've been a good one-lens solution for this event. Your 18-135 would be perfect on APS-C

I was thinking the Tamron 28-200 would've been a good one-lens solution for this event. Your 18-135 would be perfect on APS-C
We'll see next March (a good time for outdoor activities in FL); that's when RennFest is back in town. I got my daughter a matching kilt, even though she'll only be 7 months when we go, I pray she'll be a bonnie lass and not a wailing banshee :ROFLMAO:

Back