Followers
Following
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
I have (and still use) two Nikon D850's, but recently got a Sony A7IV and Sony FE 200-600 lens. I bought it (after renting one) to use as a one setup wildlife solution, to replace the two camera and lens Nikon setup I was using. I bought everything new but after only about a month the SD slot I was using (slot 1) failed. It was stuck in the position to eject a card and would not click in to load a card. My local camera repair shop could not fix it and sent it to the only USA warranty center for replacement of the bottom bracket with card slots. Due to parts shortage, it took almost six weeks to get back. My local repair guy said he has seen this failure in multiple brands but it is more prevalent in Sony.

My question is, has anyone on this forum experienced the same problem? I am interested in any Sony model, but particularly the A7IV. As a first-time Sony user it doesn't give me much confidence in their products. Is it just bad luck or is this a common issue? If so, is it worth my while to spend over three hundred bucks for a CF type A card and reader to use instead of SD? (I never shoot video, so I don't need it for the speed or capacity).

I might have missed it but I don't think I've seen too many reports in this forum so far. I have however seen a few reports of the same problem in our Sony a7 IV Shooters Facebook Group. So yes it's an issue for some unfortunately. I've only seen reports related to SD cards in slot 1 so far, so CFexpress 'might' be ok. But it's definitely not very good for a brand new $2500 camera. Swapping to a CFexpress Type-A card would be an expensive workaround, especially if you don't really need the speed benefits that these cards offer. My Sony a7 IV Memory Card Guide looks a little closer at the difference in speed between the CFexpress Type-A and SD cards.

Thanks for response. I really don't want to go Type A, so I am hoping the SD slot repair lasts. It is interesting that @Timothy Mayo has only seen it reported in slot 1. I wonder if this is because the dual slot makes it more prone to failure than the single slot in Slot 2? Or is it just that most people like me default to using Slot 1? (Since I got it back I am now using Slot 2 only - we will see how it goes).

I took it out this morning for a test run and thought I had a new problem. The dial on the top right - which is defaulted for exposure compensation (but can be reprogrammed) was stuck and would not turn. Just now at home I tried it and figured out the button in the middle is a lock button - press once to lock and press again to release.

That lock button was a much-heralded improvement over the old one, which did not lock and was the target of many complaints. It seems people would change it by accident when trying to move the rear dial.

The "Lock" button was a great thing for me. I used an A7M3 for 14 months before upgrading to an A7M4. I was continuously changing my exposure "Accidentally" and without realizing it. Not an issue with the A7M4. Sorry you had a problem with your camera.

Yes now that I figured out how the lock button works I think it is definitely a good feature.

The only complaint I have seen about the toggle lock button on the exposure compensation dial is that the other locks aren't also toggle!

I don't completely agree, but I can somewhat sympathise :)

I have (and still use) two Nikon D850's, but recently got a Sony A7IV and Sony FE 200-600 lens. I bought it (after renting one) to use as a one setup wildlife solution, to replace the two camera and lens Nikon setup I was using. I bought everything new but after only about a month the SD slot I was using (slot 1) failed. It was stuck in the position to eject a card and would not click in to load a card. My local camera repair shop could not fix it and sent it to the only USA warranty center for replacement of the bottom bracket with card slots. Due to parts shortage, it took almost six weeks to get back. My local repair guy said he has seen this failure in multiple brands but it is more prevalent in Sony.

My question is, has anyone on this forum experienced the same problem? I am interested in any Sony model, but particularly the A7IV. As a first-time Sony user it doesn't give me much confidence in their products. Is it just bad luck or is this a common issue? If so, is it worth my while to spend over three hundred bucks for a CF type A card and reader to use instead of SD? (I never shoot video, so I don't need it for the speed or capacity).
I have the same problem. Sony says that the damage was caused by improper handling. However, I could already find some cases on the Internet where the SLOT just broke. This seems to be a bad quality at Sony.

I have the same problem. Sony says that the damage was caused by improper handling. However, I could already find some cases on the Internet where the SLOT just broke. This seems to be a bad quality at Sony.
Agree - it was definitely NOT bad handling on my part. I had hardly used the slot and I was certainly not forcing anything. I am now using slot 2 instead of slot 1 and so far, so good. But I wonder how many repairs they will need to do before they acknowledge they have a problem?

I am still in the process of convincing Sony that this is a technical defect. Therefore, I am currently looking for other users who have the same problem. If Sony still refuses to repair the damage, I will have to contact the European consumer protection. The product has a defect that must be repaired by Sony. I can keep you up to date.

I am still in the process of convincing Sony that this is a technical defect. Therefore, I am currently looking for other users who have the same problem. If Sony still refuses to repair the damage, I will have to contact the European consumer protection. The product has a defect that must be repaired by Sony. I can keep you up to date.
Sorry they are giving you a hard time. Have you had your camera beyond the warranty period? Mine was only about a month old so Sony USA repaired it under warranty.

I have had problems in the past with Nikon cameras and faulty slots due to plastic breaking off the
card leading edge and getting stuck within the slot engage mechanism which was identified upon
detailed magnified examination and finally removed with tweezers leaving no damage to the card engage/
eject mechanism.

Doesn't sound like the same sort of issue for yourself however , more a Sony design/assembly defect
matter and which would seem to be a warranty issue as you imply.

I have just 2 weeks ago had the exact issue with my A1 , slot 1 wouldn't seat the memory card (Sony tough card)
Sent to Sony who had to replace the main board as that's where the card slots are mounted...£727.20 to fix it.
Lucky i had a 3 year warranty in place.
I hope it doesn't go again, its a lot of money for a potential recurring problem.

I have had problems in the past with Nikon cameras and faulty slots due to plastic breaking off the
card leading edge and getting stuck within the slot engage mechanism which was identified upon
detailed magnified examination and finally removed with tweezers leaving no damage to the card engage/
eject mechanism.

Doesn't sound like the same sort of issue for yourself however , more a Sony design/assembly defect
matter and which would seem to be a warranty issue as you imply.
Interestingly, Sony got around that on the Tough cards by omitting those thin dividers.

I had a corner chip off a card in a SLT-A65. Had to extract it with a bent piece of wire. Wasn't a tough card though.

I might have missed it but I don't think I've seen too many reports in this forum so far. I have however seen a few reports of the same problem in our Sony a7 IV Shooters Facebook Group. So yes it's an issue for some unfortunately. I've only seen reports related to SD cards in slot 1 so far, so CFexpress 'might' be ok. But it's definitely not very good for a brand new $2500 camera. Swapping to a CFexpress Type-A card would be an expensive workaround, especially if you don't really need the speed benefits that these cards offer. My Sony a7 IV Memory Card Guide looks a little closer at the difference in speed between the CFexpress Type-A and SD cards.
I'll chime in here. I am having issues with the CFExpress card as well as the SD card. The CFExpress card is an 80GB Sony Tough card.

I'll chime in here. I am having issues with the CFExpress card as well as the SD card. The CFExpress card is an 80GB Sony Tough card.
And just to clarify, your problems (just like the rest of us) are only in the two slots in number 1 position? No issues with the SD only slot in number 2 position?

And just to clarify, your problems (just like the rest of us) are only in the two slots in number 1 position? No issues with the SD only slot in number 2 position?
That is correct. What bothers me is, assuming I have a board with slots on it is bad, why doesn't my card reader work. I've never had an issue with this card reader, never had an issue with the camera. The only common denominator here is the Sony Tough card.

Back