Second camera - A7riii, A7iv, or A7riv

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

charlyee

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Dec 2, 2021
Name
Chaitali
Country
United States
City/State
Menomonee Falls/Wisconsin
Hello all, need help choosing a second camera.

I now have the a7riiiA since last September and would like to get a second camera so I don’t have to switch lenses going from 600 mm for wildlife to 100 mm or less for flowers etc.

So my first thought is get another riiia, I have not had any problems since day one (knocks on head), and it is on sale for $610 less.

My other two choices are the a7iv and the the a7riv. I like the high resolution since most of my subjects are small song birds and I do a lot of cropping.

Please help

Thanks much 😊

Maskless Crusader

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
May 27, 2022
Name
Clint Lloyd
Country
Australia
City/State
Cronulla, NSW
My A7RIIIA has been heaven sent. I'd be buying another one if I wanted another body. Ridiculously good camera! Evidently, the A7RIV isn't quite as good at higher ISO values, and cropping power on 42mp has been enough for me, can crop half an image and retain perfect large printed resolution still.🥇

Last edited:
Reactions: charlyee

charlyee

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Dec 2, 2021
Name
Chaitali
Country
United States
City/State
Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I am happy to hear you recommend the a7riii A, i am leaning that way as well.

Kevriano

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
If you can pick up a RIV or RIVa, you will be blown away by the resolution and cropping ability it gives. Fabulous camera with some small limitations when it comes to focus on birds in flight.

Reactions: charlyee

charlyee

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Dec 2, 2021
Name
Chaitali
Country
United States
City/State
Thanks Kevriano. I think the price difference between the iiir and Ivr is $700, not sure it’s worth it but I will definitely consider it.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.