Selectable Picture Size.

Al Lane

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Ok Peeps, am I the only one who is not pulling the trigger on one of the Sony "R" cameras due to not being able to change/ select a different picture size? I realize I could pop it in to crop mode reducing the pixel count by 1.5 but that would also extend my focal length by the the same 1.5 factor.

Imagine being able to select from 60, 40 or 20 Meg pixel photo sizes! Is it too much to ask of Sony to put out a firmware update that gives this option? I would think that it would not cost too much and would push me to purchase additional Sony product! (Been eyeballing the new Canon mirrorless line up lately....)

Last edited:
You sort of can by changing the aspect ratio you shoot in. I don't really see why you would want to do this though, why sacrifice the resolution you've paid for.

"You sort of can by changing the aspect ratio you shoot in. I don't really see why you would want to do this though, why sacrifice the resolution you've paid for."

I would not want to have to deal with the Buffer Lag /Editing 2000+, 60+meg photos for a Portrait/ wedding shoot, but I would like to have the capability to have the High pixel count for Landscape/ Dramatic shots (all in the same camera) ;)

Don't misunderstand me, I love the Sony systems, but Canon already has this ability built in to their systems, making their high pixel count cameras more versatile, I just want Sony to catch up so I'm not tempted to switch back.....

Last edited:
Shoot square for portraits 40mp :D

Yea.... I wait till Sony catches up to spend another $2-3k (or switch).

Sony, what have you done for ME lately? lol

Last edited:
Ok Peeps, am I the only one who is not pulling the trigger on one of the Sony "R" cameras due to not being able to change/ select a different picture size? I realize I could pop it in to crop mode reducing the pixel count by 1.5 but that would also extend my focal length by the the same 1.5 factor
No - same here.
That was the final reason I went for the a7iii instead of the R.

.... Sony "R" cameras due to not being able to change/ select a different picture size?

.....Imagine being able to select from 60, 40 or 20 Meg pixel photo sizes! ....
For your purposes, I agree that in-camera pic size selection would be quick & convenient. If I correctly understand your issue, I would resize image in Photoshop for any size/aspect desired w/o any loss of resolution. Correct me if I'm wrong.

However, I'd hate to give up many other Sony features & benefits of the R4 over a resizing issue. And at a more pragmatic level, I'd hate having to dump my arsenal of Sony gear when changing camps. I enjoy native interchangeability w/o needing adapters.

But since I know nothing of your situation or specifics, I probably shouldn't be commenting.

Back