Robert W. Garven Jr.
Country
United States
City/State
Ventura, California
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Friends,

I read everything I could on the Internet and on this site on sensor cleaning but I still have something a little bit different. My camera is relatively new only taking it out less than 10 times to shoot pictures but I have a couple of different lenses so I've been changing the lenses, but I always do it indoors quickly using all the covers. I was experimenting with sunburst aperture pictures at the beach the other day (F22) and I noticed a bunch of dust spots that were on my sensor. Of course I tried the electronic internal way of cleaning the sensor and I also blew it off holding a camera upside down as everyone suggest but there's still a few on there. I ordered a German sensor brush hoping that a couple of light brushes will gently get the last few remaining dust particles stuck to the sensor.

I have the Altura wet cleaning system but since the camera so new I'm trying to do the least amount of touching of the actual sensor. I did watch a guy on YouTube rub dirt oil etc. on his sensor including scratching it with a box cutter so I feel a little bit more comfortable about it not being as sensitive as I originally thought but I'm still going to treat it that way and I was wondering if any of you had any other experiences you could share.

Thanks for all your help I think this is a wonderful community and I appreciate all of your advice and suggestions!

DSC01218.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • SAMYANG AF 35mm F2.8
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 100

I've done mine. Follow the instruction to the letter. On a mirrorless camera, best to remove the battery to avoid a shutter trigger while the swab is there, that would destroy the shutter.

It's kind of scary. The sensor is going to move around like crazy, that's just the IBIS with no power applied. Go slow, do like they say, and you'll be fine.

Honestly, if that's your example I'd leave it alone until it really gets dirty.

I hope this is okay to post on here and as usual if not allow please do what is needed.
I have used one of these and it has cleaned my sensor and I will say I live in a very dusty area and no matter how careful we are here the dust will get it.
So to send our camera's away to have the sensor cleaned would cost so much each year. So we have to work out how to get it to a level that is more than passable. And yes there has been a time when nothing worked and the camera had to go into the shop to be cleaned the right way.
Though I think one of these things is so good to have and after use wash and if you have got a clean container to put it in is the way to go. If not wrap in a plastic bag. I also use those other cloth thing's that look like a triangle on a stick covered with some sort of micro fiber. This is what I finish off the job with and it has worked out good for me so far.

Friends,

Thanks for the good responses, has anyone used a sensor brush it looks like this. I wanted to try this as I have had good results on the lenses with soft brushes, and I think there may only be a small bit thats needs some encouragement to get off. Aussie, I saw and read allot about the gel sticks but wanted to start out with the brush???

Rob

Here's a picture before and after I cleaned up the dust spots of whats I was shooting

DSC01181 (1).jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 100
DSC01181.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 100

I've always cleaned my sensor myself.

I use two dry lens cleaning swabs. First, blow the sensor out with the blower. Then mist one sensor swab with lens cleaner. Use the misted swab to give the sensor a good clean. Then get the unmisted dry swab and keep wiping until you have removed all residue, leaving you with a mirror finish. Sometimes I have to do this process twice to get it perfect. Easy...

Notes: Check sensor to sun light as I find no other lighting picks up streaks as well.

I turn camera on to engage the IBIS and stop the sensor moving. Just don't touch the trigger, I've never been anywhere near close to doing so...

Get an actual lens cleaning solution. I use Kenssafe lens cleaning solution. I find that alcohol is extremely hard to get a streak free result, the proper lens cleaner makes a world of difference.

Sensors and lens elements are nowhere near as fragile as most people make them out to be. If you have even half a working brain it's pretty much impossible to damage them. Just use common sense, and new towels and swabs, and you can't go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
My go to sensor cleaner is an app I downloaded called touch retouch..

I've always cleaned my sensor myself.

I use two dry lens cleaning swabs. First, blow the sensor out with the blower. Then mist one sensor swab with lens cleaner. Use the misted swab to give the sensor a good clean. Then get the unmisted dry swab and keep wiping until you have removed all residue, leaving you with a mirror finish. Sometimes I have to do this process twice to get it perfect. Easy...

Notes: Check sensor to sun light as I find no other lighting picks up streaks as well.

I turn camera on to engage the IBIS and stop the sensor moving. Just don't touch the trigger, I've never been anywhere near close to doing so...

Get an actual lens cleaning solution. I use Kenssafe lens cleaning solution. I find that alcohol is extremely hard to get a streak free result, the proper lens cleaner makes a world of difference.

Sensors and lens elements are nowhere near as fragile as most people make them out to be. If you have even half a working brain it's pretty much impossible to damage them. Just use common sense, and new towels and swabs, and you can't go wrong.
You should never, ever use lens cleaner on a sensor. This warning is pretty easy to find all over the internet.

You should never, ever use lens cleaner on a sensor. This warning is pretty easy to find all over the internet.

So what is a sensor made of, and how is this material getting broken down by a bit of cleaning solution?

They don't explain that I bet, because they're only reciting what another person told them.

As I was saying, a sensor is not anywhere near as fragile as people think. Instead of listening to a YouTuber or computer nerd who has only an opinion and no real knowledge on the subject...

It's a big problem in the world today in general where many answers are 'oh, because everyone knows that', I'm saying OK, but have you actually looked into it..?

So what is a sensor made of, and how is this material getting broken down by a bit of cleaning solution?

They don't explain that I bet, because they're only reciting what another person told them.

As I was saying, a sensor is not anywhere near as fragile as people think. Instead of listening to a YouTuber or computer nerd who has only an opinion and no real knowledge on the subject...

It's a big problem in the world today in general where many answers are 'oh, because everyone knows that', I'm saying OK, but have you actually looked into it..?
Glad it worked for you, but it's bad advice and nothing I'd want associated with me.

No, I've never looked into it. I just sit here and regurgitate everything I read.

Sensors are made out of sheets of silicon. This is also easy information to find. Have you ever looked into it?

I rarely watch You Tubers.

It's a big problem in the world today in general where many answers are without base knowledge.

Use a fluid specifically made for sensor cleaning or risk damage.

From what I have understood since I started up in this hobby is to use what products are made for.
I would follow your lead on using only stuff set up to clean the sensor and I am sorry to say Clint but I honestly feel like you are in your rowing boat completely alone on this one.
Putting it is the way that I understand better is to say clean your cars interior with wash and wax . I know this just would not work right as it has not been made to do that job.
But as the saying goes it's your sensor and it is totally up to you on what you use on it. So it would be interesting to see just who's sensor will last the longest the Lens cleaner way or the dedicated Sensor cleaning way.
Maybe Timothy might have had some dealing's in thins and can throw a little more light on to this if he get the time that is .

You may want to look into it mate. An image sensor is made up of a few things, not just a flat sheet of one material. Although, the part we are physically able to touch at the front is actually a protective layer. Much like we are not touching bare glass on the front of our lenses.

You may want to look into it mate. An image sensor is made up of a few things, not just a flat sheet of one material. Although, the part we are physically able to touch at the front is actually a protective layer. Much like we are not touching bare glass on the front of our lenses.
It'd be safer if we were touching bare glass, coatings can be damaged with overly aggressive cleaning.

It's all about good advice. Since the vast majority of everyone recommends that you don't use lens cleaner, I'll stick with it. Even Sony recommends using a cleaning kit made for it. They aren't expensive, I was able to clean two sensors and have enough left over for another with a single kit. Sensor replacement can be $500. Why risk it for a $15 kit?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00110439

If the coatings on these lenses and sensors are iridium as claimed, then you should basically be able to have a ritual every morning where you vigorously rub all your lenses and sensors with kerosene until your arm is too tired to continue, then at the end of your life you can safely pass away knowing that the coatings on all of your camera equipment are 100% intact.

I guess you can make your own mind up about what you want to do Robert. There's no doubt that Tim's method will be just fine as it is clearly stated on the Sony website.

Personally, I think the most important cleaning product to use in this scenario is whatever delivers you a streak free finish the best, as I don't believe that corrosion of the coating should even come into the discussion.

I have legacy glass with the coatings rubbed through. You can find them for sale all over eBay.

You can agree or disagree, but when someone comes into the forum asking for information on something as sensitive as a sensor, we always want to give them the best advice, not a life hack. The best advice is what's recommended by the manufacturer.

I dunno Timmy, maybe you might want to read the original post again. Robert asked if people could share their experiences, he didn't mention anything about sending him to the Sony site. I was simply sharing my experience as was asked...

I have a very good local camera repair shop, I have known the owner for over two decades, and I take it to him when I need a cleaning. I know it can be done at home, but I am too afraid to try it. Considering each of my bodies only needs to be cleaned about once every other year, the $45 fee he charges is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I dunno Timmy, maybe you might want to read the original post again. Robert asked if people could share their experiences, he didn't mention anything about sending him to the Sony site. I was simply sharing my experience as was asked...
So, then the debate is less about making a good recommendation and more about proving you're right? Falling back on semantics to win the debate is pretty cheesy. Everyone who reads that post knows what the intent is. Jeez.

Don't see what the issue is,
and whilst i do not agree that lens cleaner is a replacement for sensor cleaner and
as has been pointed out is an individual choice, for all the years I have been a photographer i have used a
proprietory sensor cleaning fluid with suitable cleaning sticks/pads and have never had any issues...............always
of course being careful to avoid static build up on the sensor surface....

On the other hand I equally don't agree that sensors are as fragile as the photography equipment supply industry
would suggest and see the industry advertised need for "return to manufacturer cleaning" as nothing more than a
revenue earner and well within the capability of most reasonably technical savvy photographers to DIY this
occasional need.

.....always of course being careful to avoid static build up on the sensor surface....
And what do you do to avoid this? (I have never heard of this issue, so I am genuinely curious what causes it and how it is avoided).

Hi Fred,
Static (read electrical Ion charges) can be built up on silicon and some other plastic surfaces via "enthusiatic rubbing" actions,
and/or transferred from human touch wherein electrical charge through similar bodily actions (positive or negative)has been built up
on your hands. I am sure at some point in your life you will have probably experienced in touching a surface a static discharge( a low
level electrical shock type feeling).

An example would be the trailing conductor that used to be fitted to the back of motor vehicles and in contact with the road, in hot
climates wherein the electrical charge built up on the car body, through solar temperature/action, is discharged to "earth"

it s best to use rubber gloves to avoid transfer of electrical charge in cleaning your sensors and to be very measured in cleaning the
sensor with slow measured strokes...although these charges are low level they can be damaging to sensitive electrical conducting
materials such as silicon.

The actual sensor is impurified silicon (OK, I made up the word impurified, but it amuses me that it's the impurities in the silicon that make the magic happen).

However, on top of that are multiple layers of glass, including the two layer AA filter if there is one, and a protective layer on top - when you "clean the sensor" you are touching that protective layer. If you did damage it, you could see the results in your images, just as you can see dust on the sensor, by using a very high aperture (f/22, for example) and shooting a uniform scene - a clear blue sky, for example (if you have a clear blue sky handy).

Two pieces of advice I have been given:
  1. use the blower first to get rid of particles - you do not want to drag sand across the glass, because it really can scratch the glass (sand can be harder than metal)
  2. do not use too much solution - excess can dribble down the edges of the sensor stack, and that could damage things - the worst thing to do is spray the solution into the camera
I have seen advertising for things like an ?Arctic Butterfly" brush - I have no idea if it works/is good/is a terrible idea. I'm wary because it's supposed to attract dust using a static charge.

Yes you are correct the silicon is "doped" with arsenic, phosphorus or boron usually, at the atomic level
and it is these positive or negatively charged elements that form the electrical "gates" with silicon that make
up the semiconductor transistors and other electrical functions necessary to form the complete what used
to be called circuit boards... these days they are more usually referred to as semiconductor chips or wafers.

Being at the atomic level and involving minute positive and negative electrical charges this is what makes
the sensors susceptible to damage/malfunction by external static charges...

Watch Jason Anthony's video on how to clean the sensor. NOT Tony Northrups! It's anxiety ridden the first time you do it. But after that it's not that hard. Just do the in camera cleaning mode, leave the camera on so as not to hurt the image stabilization, and use a full frame swab.

I went down to the camera store, asked the owner, purchased some swabs that came with a bottle of liquid that is simply labelled "Sensor Cleaner", and followed the instructions, which required me to place one drop onto one side of the swab, gently wipe in one direction, then flip the swab to the dryer side and wipe in the opposite direction.

Took some photos. Looked clean. Pretty nerve-racking experience but I managed.

Gaz

I just read a thread on another forum where someone used a sensor swab to clean a Nikon D850 he had just purchased used. The swab scratched the sensor and it cost him 1500 euros to have it replaced by Nikon. This is why I have never done it myself and never will.

Luminar Neo effectively removes all the dust spots without approaching the camera.

1 Internal sensor shake, then
2 Blower
3 Brush
4 Pen and loupe
5 Swab

I've never had to go past 3. But there's never been anything sticky or crusty.

My understanding is that camera sensors are typically covered with glass.

I clean my sensor about every six weeks. Once it has a fair few specks of dust on it I just give it a proper clean. I believe that opening the front cavity then sealing it constantly to change lenses will cause the area to get a little moisture resulting in slight residue, this is the reason I believe in properly cleaning it fairly often. The salt and stuff in that residue will cause more harm than a brand new lens swab and some non alcoholic cleaner ever will...

Back