Sony A6400 Settings a6400 with zoom h1n

DNS

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Denis
Hi all. I've seen a setting video on youtube, but the sound I have after intital set up isn't the best I think. What are you setting when using h1n with sony a6400? Mic output volume and internal sony recording volume? Also what are you preferable mic gain settings? How do you set both up for the best sound? Thanks

I want to preface by saying I don't have/use a Zoom h1n.
On my a6400, I've used the on-board mic (crap), Rode video micro (better), and Synco wireless mic (with and without lav mic) (best). When you change the mode dial to video, you have an audio level display, and you want to keep your levels in the green (like in the second third of the meter) without hitting the red (clipping). I find that I have to change the camera's mic settings for each of those different mics; a lot of trial and error. I had to turn down the mic input level as the quality of the microphone improved (or if the microphone was powered).

So are you using the H1n as both a recorder and a mic passthrough to camera?

I want to preface by saying I don't have/use a Zoom h1n.
On my a6400, I've used the on-board mic (crap), Rode video micro (better), and Synco wireless mic (with and without lav mic) (best). When you change the mode dial to video, you have an audio level display, and you want to keep your levels in the green (like in the second third of the meter) without hitting the red (clipping). I find that I have to change the camera's mic settings for each of those different mics; a lot of trial and error. I had to turn down the mic input level as the quality of the microphone improved (or if the microphone was powered).

So are you using the H1n as both a recorder and a mic passthrough to camera?
Hi. Thanks. Yes I do have h1n connected directly to my a64000 via audio in. I've set up internal audio camera level on second lowest position and the h1n is on 34vol.

In other words I use h1n instead of build in camera mic. Connected to the camera directly. Does not record into microphone sd card

Last edited:
Back