Sony A6400 Airshow Shooting Question

rontr1

Followers
Following
Name
Ron E Trees
City/State
PNW
I am not really sure what to use for a title and I hope I can explain this so you know what I mean!!

I have the A6400 and just got the 70-350 G lens. I am going to try an airshow with this setup. I was at an airport practicing last night. I was able to take picture just fine. My problem is after I took a picture, it would stay showing in the viewfinder until I pushed the shutter release again. By this time, the plane was no longer in the display and the camera would try to focus on the sky and then I am not even close to having the plane in focus. At this point, I have to hunt for the plane again in my viewfinder. Any ideas how to make this go smoother would be truly appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

You need to set the camera up for the use. I don't know too much about the APSC features, but generally speaking you want object focus tracking and Continuous AF. In order to stop seeing the previous shot on the screen so long, go into the playback menu and set the review time for zero. Also, use burst mode if you can. Medium should be fine. Do not use electronic shutter, you'll probably get tearing or warping, use the mechanical shutter.

If you don't have a lot of experience with Manual I would shoot this in Shutter Preferred. Prop planes need around 1/125 to show prop motion, otherwise the photo may look like the prop is frozen and the plane is going to drop out of the sky. I say 'around' 1/125 because older planes may need the slow shutter while newer planes with faster prop rotation can stand a little faster shutter. These shots will require panning for the most part. For jets keep the shutter speed up, the faster the better, 1/1500-1/2500 is preferred.

If the sun is behind you, you're lucky! Set the camera up for center weighted metering so it meters the entire scene. If the sun is in front and the airplanes are shadowed, you'll need to overexpose or spot meter. You'll blow out the sky but get the airplane.

If all of this is beyond your knowledge, then use Auto mode and let the camera do the heavy lifting, just understand you won't be able to control the shutter.

Last edited:
I am not really sure what to use for a title and I hope I can explain this so you know what I mean!!

I have the A6400 and just got the 70-350 G lens. I am going to try an airshow with this setup. I was at an airport practicing last night. I was able to take picture just fine. My problem is after I took a picture, it would stay showing in the viewfinder until I pushed the shutter release again. By this time, the plane was no longer in the display and the camera would try to focus on the sky and then I am not even close to having the plane in focus. At this point, I have to hunt for the plane again in my viewfinder. Any ideas how to make this go smoother would be truly appreciated.

Thanks, Ron
At what airport is the upcoming Airshow?

Fairchild AFB

Ron

Jeff A, yes I live near Spokane. Should be fun

Brownie, thanks for the input! I found the review time setting. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks!! On the Apache it was in a different menu, but I found it.
Thanks for the pointers! I will be using AF-C and tracking mode. There is going to be some learning happening!! I am hoping 3 batteries will last the day. This isn’t my first time to Fairchild AFB for an air show. But it is my first time with the a6400. I used to shoot a lot but have not for a few years now. I have owned a Sony a100 and Nikon D610. I just do it for fun. I am anxious to see how the a6400 and e70-350 will do. Hopefully it is a nice day!

Thanks again, Ron

Good luck, and post those pics! I'm hoping to hit one this year as well.

Thank you. I will do my best.

Thanks, Ron
You can turn off auto image review like this:

Menu > Custom Settings > Auto Review

It’s the first setting to change when you get a mirrorless camera - you don’t need auto review because you can see how your photo will look before you take it. 🙂

It’s the first setting to change when you get a mirrorless camera - you don’t need auto review because you can see how your photo will look before you take it. 🙂

Ian, does this work with the a6400?

Thanks, Ron

Back