Shooting the Moon ?

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Doug Ouren

Novice
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Dec 28, 2020
Name
Doug Ouren
Just wondering if you all might have any suggestions on tips for shooting the full moon. Thanks much

AlphaWorld

Junior
Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
I am planning to do the same tonight for the “once in a century” super blood moon we will get in Australia tonight (super moon + eclipse). I don’t know if you will be able to see the eclipse, but the super moon is visible everywhere.

The two tips I have been given are to:
  1. shoot the super moon as it rises because the horizon gives it context (It looks bigger rising over things)
  2. hope that the weather is kind (few clouds) because the eclipse will only last about 15 minutes 😁

Reactions: Doug Ouren

Doug Ouren

Novice
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Dec 28, 2020
Name
Doug Ouren
I am planning to do the same tonight for the “once in a century” super blood moon we will get in Australia tonight (super moon + eclipse). I don’t know if you will be able to see the eclipse, but the super moon is visible everywhere.

The two tips I have been given are to:
  1. shoot the super moon as it rises because the horizon gives it context (It looks bigger rising over things)
  2. hope that the weather is kind (few clouds) because the eclipse will only last about 15 minutes 😁
Thanks much for the response....and good luck tonight

Kevriano

Expert
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Crawley
Watch your exposure, it's surprisingly bright so try different compensation levels as you can easily lose detail. Keep your F Stop at f8 or greater too. I'm not a fan of tripods, but if you're not a steady eddy I'd use one. One I prepared earlier
DSC09102.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 1600

AlphaWorld

Junior
Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
Looking for information, not criticising: why f/8 or more? Given the moon is a long way away, won't all of it be in the depth of field no matter what aperture you choose? I used wide open (f/6.3) to get as much light as possible.

My shots of the eclipse were dreadful, but I got some decent ones of the super moon, albeit hand-held.

I want to try again tonight, to try to get a "moon rise over landscape" shot, and I'll take a tripod this time.

Reactions: Kevriano

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I did a quick try, but I really need a bigger lens for this sort of thing.
I wasn't even gonna bother, but that red/orange color had me staring at the moon long enough for me to go find my tripod.
DSC05813_1x1.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100

Kevriano

Expert
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Crawley
Looking for information, not criticising: why f/8 or more? Given the moon is a long way away, won't all of it be in the depth of field no matter what aperture you choose? I used wide open (f/6.3) to get as much light as possible.

My shots of the eclipse were dreadful, but I got some decent ones of the super moon, albeit hand-held.

I want to try again tonight, to try to get a "moon rise over landscape" shot, and I'll take a tripod this time.
I guess it depends on lens, but it does still affect things. I've shot at 6.3 and you tend to lose sharpness at the outer edges of the moon where it's not quite in the focus plane. If you think you are aiming at the centre of a globe, there is curvature going away from you all around.

AlphaWorld

Junior
Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
I guess it depends on lens, but it does still affect things. I've shot at 6.3 and you tend to lose sharpness at the outer edges of the moon where it's not quite in the focus plane. If you think you are aiming at the centre of a globe, there is curvature going away from you all around.
My thinking was “I am at infinity anyway, and it’s hundreds of thousands of km away, but you are right, the edges were a bit ragged.

I think I will need to check my depth of field at 300Mm (that’s mega metres, not millimetres!) 🤓

• Haha
Reactions: Kevriano

AlphaWorld

Junior
Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
Well, I checked, and apparently my depth of field for f/6.3 / 600mm at 300Mm runs from 2km to infinity...

Astrnmrtom

Novice
Followers
Following
May 20, 2021
Name
Thomas M
There's no depth of field when shooting the Moon or other astronomical objects - everything is at infinity. What you WILL see are any lens aberrations. Shooting wide open really tests the lens and shouldn't be needed when shooting the Moon. Even doing star fields can benefit from shooting with your lens stopped down a little. Yes, you loose some speed and a few stars, but stars will be sharper across the field.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.