Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
So feedback and suggestions on how to deal with flat white skies and grey skies, many times I see the kestrels hunting while out walking it is very often in poor lighting against grey or white skies
kestrel 2023 354.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 3200
, so I do what I can to keep shooting, so advise please

I visited Europe in November and it struck me how different it is to live in an environment with almost no shadows. It made me more conscious of the light. I like to photograph architecture so this was a very different game for me. When I got home I started playing around by masking the sky in Lightroom to pull up some detail in the clouds…. And, a couple of times, I changed the hue but that doesn’t reflect onto the subject, which can make it look un-natural (my Lightroom skills are rudimentary at best),
Then I started stripping out the sky and replacing them with a nice one. I couldn’t take that seriously.
Then I started cropping out the sky.

It’s a wonderful problem to consider. A world with no shadow. For many shots I decided to embrace the soft light, though I’ve got a couple of thousand images I haven’t looked at because they didn’t grab me.

Masking the sky to pull up the detail and increase the saturation of the sky
GJF06068.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 100

Not a great image.

Here’s one where I embraced the lighting conditions and tried to express the soft sky yielding no shadow….

IMG_5038.jpeg
  • iPhone 14 Pro
  • iPhone 14 Pro back triple camera 6.86mm f/1.78
  • 6.9 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/2200 sec
  • ISO 80

I feel this one.

Last edited:
Back