Shooting with lens hood in cold weather..

Interesting. I can't say it's ever been an issue for me, but it doesn't get as cold here as it does there, and also, much like he said, I don't get out of a warm car and start shooting straight away very often, so it probably wouldn't show.

Interesting. I can't say it's ever been an issue for me, but it doesn't get as cold here as it does there, and also, much like he said, I don't get out of a warm car and start shooting straight away very often, so it probably wouldn't show.
Yes you guys hardly go below 0 .. I’m from UK and have a lot of family over there and I love to tease them when they complain of it snowing or being cold..

That was very informative and the host was easy to listen to. Thanks!

Yes you guys hardly go below 0 .. I’m from UK and have a lot of family over there and I love to tease them when they complain of it snowing or being cold..

Well we do, but it doesn't last, maybe a week at a time, but then I don't go out much :)

This video from Steve Perry is worth a watch if you are shooting in cold weather but your gear has been kept in a warm place.

Interesting item it would suit me to have something to blame, its possible I make more mistakes than the lens hood but I will try with and without hood all my lenses have lens coats on so does that help? . I guess the same goes for filters I used to use protection filter so basically clear but not now, having said that I shoot mainly primes and they all have rear end filters.

I tested this and was surprised to find that it in fact was impacting my images. With the hood on my images were soft even under ideal lighting conditions. With the hood removed there was immediate improvement. As cold as it has been here in Ohio over the last several weeks I have had several chances to try this out. I am glad that this was put out there for review. Thanks!

I tested this and was surprised to find that it in fact was impacting my images. With the hood on my images were soft even under ideal lighting conditions. With the hood removed there was immediate improvement. As cold as it has been here in Ohio over the last several weeks I have had several chances to try this out. I am glad that this was put out there for review. Thanks!
That is news to me and interesting that you got the same result, do you think it makes a difference how cold it is? as here in the uk in my area we rarely get lower than -6 or 7 regards Gary

That is news to me and interesting that you got the same result, do you think it makes a difference how cold it is? as here in the uk in my area we rarely get lower than -6 or 7 regards Gary
The temps here were in the lower teens. I do think that the colder it is the more likely the hood will trap heat and distort the image. I did try it with and without the hood and the results were immediate.

The temps here were in the lower teens. I do think that the colder it is the more likely the hood will trap heat and distort the image. I did try it with and without the hood and the results were immediate.
thanks for the info

Someone else already posted this Tim. Mapleleaf I think.
Oops, missed that one! :) I've moved the posts into the existing thread from Keith.

Last edited:
I can't see it being an issue here unless your car/house is seriously warm and it's really cold and you start shooting as soon as you get outside.

I can't see it being an issue here unless your car/house is seriously warm and it's really cold and you start shooting as soon as you get outside.
Sort of what I thought, but will test the idea when it cold

Back