Sony A6000 Sigma 16mm Lens

benmunro

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Ben Munro
So, I bought the sigma 16mm lens after watching a few people online with it and how well they captured images.

I’ve used mine today in York and the images aren’t as sharp as I’d thought they’d be. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this? These were shot in auto intelligence mode and autofocus.

I know it could very well be me and my photography skills as I learn but just doesn’t punch the quality of a mid range lens.

Feedback and info welcomed.

B.

PS. Images uploaded are RAW from the camera to my phone using the app.

Attachments

• 44FF2B6C-0E5F-4E95-B3A1-C7160517500C.jpeg
    44FF2B6C-0E5F-4E95-B3A1-C7160517500C.jpeg
    673.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 097C97A1-6851-4834-9558-EFE6E1718A2C.jpeg
    097C97A1-6851-4834-9558-EFE6E1718A2C.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 72
  • A8D7E842-7072-4815-B579-B116CE860D32.jpeg
    A8D7E842-7072-4815-B579-B116CE860D32.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 7E9F424F-21B6-4783-B2A8-08E9449D6C98.jpeg
    7E9F424F-21B6-4783-B2A8-08E9449D6C98.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 78
Sorry… forgot to upload this one which on the song app looks blurry but when exported to my phone doesn’t look too badly focused…

Attachments

• 35FC6815-5D19-4619-955E-9289A6240DA8.jpeg
    35FC6815-5D19-4619-955E-9289A6240DA8.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 66
Are you sure these were made in Intelligent Auto? The reason I ask is that as a rule, RAW format is not available in Auto. The Intelligent Auto mode is meant to allow the camera to act as a point and shoot. The camera processes the RAW data into a jpeg image, and that's what you get. Your first statement that the images were made in iA isn't congruous with your statement they were uploaded in RAW to your iPhone. I don't believe you can even shoot RAW and jpeg in that mode, it's jpeg only.

RAW images need to be processed. They're always going to look worse than the jpeg version until you work on them. And yes, that typically includes some sharpening. A jpeg is your camera's attempt to produce a usable image from RAW data, but the camera does it for you. As a rule, this includes compromises, and you get more of a middle of the road image than maybe what you're looking for.

As a rule, when you see those wonderful, sharp, contrasty images someone posts, they've been processed. Some people are very happy with the jpegs their camera puts out, but the majority of people on forums look for something more and accept the fact that part of photography (these days) is learning to edit in post.

Skills behind the camera are important, and you'll gain them as you progress. But to get the images like the ones you saw, you'll also need to spend some time in front of the computer. Learning to process is just as important as making the photo.

When I look at your images, I see low contrast. The blown-out skies in most of the images is due to getting exposure right got the darker areas. These are things that can be corrected when processing a RAW image, but not so much as a jpeg.

Are you sure these were made in Intelligent Auto? The reason I ask is that as a rule, RAW format is not available in Auto. The Intelligent Auto mode is meant to allow the camera to act as a point and shoot. The camera processes the RAW data into a jpeg image, and that's what you get. Your first statement that the images were made in iA isn't congruous with your statement they were uploaded in RAW to your iPhone. I don't believe you can even shoot RAW and jpeg in that mode, it's jpeg only.

RAW images need to be processed. They're always going to look worse than the jpeg version until you work on them. And yes, that typically includes some sharpening. A jpeg is your camera's attempt to produce a usable image from RAW data, but the camera does it for you. As a rule, this includes compromises, and you get more of a middle of the road image than maybe what you're looking for.

As a rule, when you see those wonderful, sharp, contrasty images someone posts, they've been processed. Some people are very happy with the jpegs their camera puts out, but the majority of people on forums look for something more and accept the fact that part of photography (these days) is learning to edit in post.

Skills behind the camera are important, and you'll gain them as you progress. But to get the images like the ones you saw, you'll also need to spend some time in front of the computer. Learning to process is just as important as making the photo.

When I look at your images, I see low contrast. The blown-out skies in most of the images is due to getting exposure right got the darker areas. These are things that can be corrected when processing a RAW image, but not so much as a jpeg.
Hey! Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I’m pretty sure in IA (the green one), it shoots RAW as when I open them in Lightroom, they’re RAW. I found when using the other SCN function, it produced JPEGS. I’ve just done some quick night shots using that with a light display on a building. On camera they looked okay but will have a better look tomorrow on my laptop in Lightroom.

Love the camera and its capabilities and it’s far more superior than my old Canon 1300D.

I did see a trick in Lightroom to use a mask and pull it over the sky and alter exposure that way without impacting on the whole image.

It’s very much a hobby and always has been but always strive to get great pictures and learn.

My next lens on my wish list is the sigma 150 - 600 ;)

Again thanks for replying :)

Ben, sorry you're not liking the Sigma 16. It is a very capable lens once you get the hang of it.
I can't see the metadata on your photos (maybe next time after uploading them to the forum post, hover over the uploaded images and "insert full image") but anyway, what kind of f-stop values were you using to take those sample photos?

Sorry, I was uploading it off my phone. I’ll know for next time.

I’m not disliking it, it’s just a case of getting used to it and learning as I go along. :)

Thanks for messaging.

For one of the images the details were…

ISO: 100 f7.1 1/80s

Ben

I need to use this lens more often. I'll try and take some fresh photos with it this week and post in this thread.

Just for you Ben, here's a photo using the 16mm handheld. A bit different from your subject material though...

DSC03412.jpg
  • Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN | Contemporary C 017
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 200

No editing on this file except a minor crop to 4:5 ratio. My point of focus was the center flower.
More in this thread:

Last edited:
Back