Sigma 56mm

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

erikbock

Followers
Following
Name
Erik Bock
I have always like a 50mm prime and found a Sigma 56mm f:1.4. It’s close enough I think. What are the thoughts?

I have always like a 50mm prime and found a Sigma 56mm f:1.4. It’s close enough I think. What are the thoughts?
Are you sure this is a Full Frame lens? What I found was an APS-C lens. Got a link?

Definitely an APSC lens, and the most highly regarded of the Sigma Trio for the A6xxx bodies.

As for 56mm being close enough to 50mm, a lot of us used the Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 for a while, and Nikon has a 58mm which gets used as a near-normal lens (admittedly, a quite expensive near-normal lens).

As for 56mm being close enough to 50mm, a lot of us used the Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 for a while, and Nikon has a 58mm which gets used as a near-normal lens (admittedly, a quite expensive near-normal lens).
Yeah I noticed the price on that thing and just said no. Probably going to get either the Sony 50mm f:1.8 or the Samyang 5mm f:1.4 MkII

Link to B&H Photo search for E mount FF 50 AF lenses. Amazon scares me when it comes to this stuff. There appears to be a sale on Rokinon/Samyang, looks like maybe the first versions are on closeout for a good price.

Anyone know the specific differences between the MkI and MkII? the sale price on the MkI is tough to ignore.

Last edited:
I'm a happy user of the Sony Zeiss 55mm. I bought it at the same time I bought my A7III. No regrets on this super sharp lens. It's a keeper.

Link to B&H Photo search for E mount FF 50 AF lenses. Amazon scares me when it comes to this stuff. There appears to be a sale on Rokinon/Samyang, looks like maybe the first versions are on closeout for a good price.

Anyone know the specific differences between the MkI and MkII? the sale price on the MkI is tough to ignore.

I have ordered just one lens from Amazon (a while back). It was a Nikon 50mm, and they put the Nikon box into a too-big Amazon box with exactly one air pillow, which did nothing to stop the lens rattling around, but maybe fulfilled the “we put packing in the box” checkbox. When I got it, the Nikon box was slightly dented and rather scuffed, and the plastic clamshell holding the lens inside the Nikon box was smashed. The lens seemed to work, somewhat, but I’m sure it was damaged. Rather than fight the Amazon blame game, I chalked it up as a “learning experience”, and will never order lenses or cameras from Amazon. B&H sounds a lot safer.

So I’d say you are right to be scared of ordering lenses from Amazon :)

Yeah I noticed the price on that thing and just said no. Probably going to get either the Sony 50mm f:1.8 or the Samyang 5mm f:1.4 MkII
I’d be wary of that 5mm lens - those ultra mega super wide angle lenses tend to have a bit of vignetting and a lot of fisheye distortion of the image. I bought a cheap 8mm lens once, and it was cute (180 degree field of view, including the photographer’s shoes! It produced a circular image on the sensor), but not something you would use often.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back