Sony A7S III SIgma MC-11 Adapter

Sony A7S III Resources: Memory Cards | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Justin Allen

Newcomer
Followers
Following
I have ordered the Sony A7S iii as my first Sony camera and will be looking at Sigma lenses for it, specifically the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN Art Lens and the Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN Art Lens. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of what you lose of you get the lenses in an EF Mount and use the Sigma MC-11 E mount to EF adapter compared to just getting the lenses in native E mount.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I have ordered the Sony A7S iii as my first Sony camera and will be looking at Sigma lenses for it, specifically the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN Art Lens and the Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN Art Lens. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of what you lose of you get the lenses in an EF Mount and use the Sigma MC-11 E mount to EF adapter compared to just getting the lenses in native E mount.

Thanks for your thoughts!
The Sigma DN lenses are specifically designed for mirrorless. Optically much better than the DSLR counterpart, smaller, and much lighter. If there is a FE version of the lens you want or are thinking of buying, buy it over the EF mount with MC-11. When I got my first E mount, I went with several EF Sigma and MC-11, because Sony and Sigma did not have an equivalent lens at that time. I have since replaced all but one of those lenses with FE equivalents.

All but a few of the current Sigma Primes are just DSLR version with an MC-11 welded on. They are much better since the MC-11 is part of the lens, but still huge and heavy. There are 4 DN primes and they are amazing. Extremely sharp and fast.

As far as what you get or lose, well that is all dependent on the lens. If it is a Sigma Global Vision lens (Art, Sport, Contemporary) you will have 100% native functions. The AF will be a tad slower and will miss sometimes. You can improve AF and OS with the USB Dock. If it is a pre SGV Sigma lens, you will lose AF areas and AF types and Eye AF may not work. Some of the older Sigmas won't work at all. I had/have the following and was/am pleased with all of them. 24-105 F4 Art, 18-300 DC C, 150-600 C, 120-300 Sport, 100-400 C.

With Canon lenses, it all depends on the version. The software in the SGV lenses are based on Canon Version II, so those lenses are pretty good with MC-11. Most of them act native, but a bit slower still than Sigma versions. The older Canon Version 1 and others are hit and miss and some don't work at all.

Thanks Steve. I decided last week to go with all GM lenses, specifically the Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM Lens, Sony FE 12-24mm f/2.8 GM Lens, and the Sony FE 135mm f/1.8 GM Lens. I felt that since the main reason I was getting this camera was the low light and AF I should take advantage of the native lenses. Especially since gimbal work will be heavy involved.

Thank you for your feedback however, it was very welcomed.

Sony A7S III Resources: Memory Cards | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Back