Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Anthony
7vqk3bj.jpg

mazS7TR.jpg

qdeeMtZ.jpg

That object is around 17-18mm measured with a caliper.

So I did the focus setting wheel opposite of ∞(infinity). I've stacked 17 images at f/11, ISO-100. It was around 3" shutter speed but was using a remote shutter release through an intervalometer. I've found 17 wasn't enough and was doing full turns with the nisi 180mm macro slider. It seems at least 20 photos for every 20mm distance at full turns matter is minimum but there were depth of field gaps. Half or even quarter turns matter for every 20mm of distance it seems, 80 photos.

The question is, is the setting further from infinity the proper way to macro? I assume it is.

It's totally weird to me how there isn't a motorized option. It shouldn't be hard to hook up a servo to make it turn, stop, and take photos automatically. They make robots for Rubik cube speed runs. The ability to automate such a super tedious process would be great here.

Maybe I'm alone here but I have no idea of what you are talking about..... A "macro slider"??? Perhaps there is some other (possibly more familiar ) terminology which would be more meaningful in describing what you are trying to do?

And, yes, I shoot macro and closeups with my 90mm and other macro lenses. Sony does not offer an easy way of doing focus stacking in-camera and I have not attempted to try that out, but there are other camera systems which do this in-camera and also there is third-party software available to assist in this process as well.

Maybe I'm alone here but I have no idea of what you are talking about..... A "macro slider"??? Perhaps there is some other (possibly more familiar ) terminology which would be more meaningful in describing what you are trying to do?

And, yes, I shoot macro and closeups with my 90mm and other macro lenses. Sony does not offer an easy way of doing focus stacking in-camera and I have not attempted to try that out, but there are other camera systems which do this in-camera and also there is third-party software available to assist in this process as well.
I was going to put a photo but I assumed it was known this is why it's important for everything to be visualized.
61Ufnx-wcUS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

See this video:
I was looking up how to macro shoot and was thinking yeah to focus stack like Landscape but for Macro it's not the same. I'm not sure if it was this video that was explained or another but you shouldn't in-camera focus stack for Macro for some good reason I forgot to write down. It's also unclear to me why in memory though explained but I registered that it does matter to get a slider is all I remember clearly.

I was doing macro handheld or a 1-shot but this is what not to do. For 90mm G, the professional way is to light the subject properly and to stack a lot. Sure, you can get some good macros 1-shotting and valid reasons of course but in a controlled environment, if you don't stack you are doing it wrong.

Last edited:
There is a motorized way to use your Sony gear for handling precise focus bracketing. That information can be found here:

Ah, (Macro) Focusing Rail! Duh, me, I didn't even think of that! For some reason the term "macro slider" just threw me off-kilter. Thanks for clarifying!

Ah, (Macro) Focusing Rail! Duh, me, I didn't even think of that! For some reason the term "macro slider" just threw me off-kilter. Thanks for clarifying!
I didn't know it was supposed to be a macro focusing rail, I was using sliders and jibs before doing macro properly. It looks like a "slider".

Back