Sony A7R IV Soligor Spot Sensor II limitations on ISO above 12,800.

Shooter41

Followers
Following
Name
Don Marler
Question: Since I have the option of taking light readings on the faces of the symphony musicians on 9-30-22 using my Soligor Spot Sensor II in an attempt to expose their faces correctly at night when they will be performing on an outdoor stage with inadequate lighting, I need your advice. My old Soligor Spot Sensor II only goes up to ISO 12,800. Since I anticipate shooting on manual mode; F2.8 with a shutter speed of 1/620 second to stop action, I will most likely need to raise my ISO higher than 12,800 on my Sony 70-200mm GM OSS II telephoto lens and Sony R7M4 camera body, due to the inadequate lighting. Are there other options that you think might be a better way for me to determine how high I should raise the ISO above 12,800 to perhaps 16,000; or 20,000; or 25,600; or 32,000; or 40,000 or "auto" using my Soligor Spot Sensor II to expose their faces properly? ( I will be sitting on the front row approximately 75 feet from the musicians.)
OR...Should I scrap the Soligor Spot Sensor II entirely and set the focus area to "center" on my newer Sony camera and telephoto lens and put the ISO on "auto" and let the newer equipment make the settings determination with me putting the center of the screen on their face and press the focus button, since I am not going to be shooting fast moving subjects like indoor soccer players? Your suggestions will be welcome and possibly save my reputation with the symphony crowd. Shooter41

Why not just set the camera up for spot metering (not center focusing, spot metering) and meter on their faces? The meter in the camera is likely far more accurate than the Soligor.

I would set it up with spot metering, center focus, maybe medium or small depending on how far away you are, and auto ISO. Do some test shots before it starts or very early in the show to determine your upper ISO limit.

Is there no way to simulate the lighting and test on a family member or friend ahead of time? It won't be perfect but it will narrow things down enough to make final adjustments at the show faster.

Why not just set the camera up for spot metering (not center focusing, spot metering) and meter on their faces? The meter in the camera is likely far more accurate than the Soligor.

I would set it up with spot metering, center focus, maybe medium or small depending on how far away you are, and auto ISO. Do some test shots before it starts or very early in the show to determine your upper ISO limit.

Is there no way to simulate the lighting and test on a family member or friend ahead of time? It won't be perfect but it will narrow things down enough to make final adjustments at the show faster.
All good points from Tim but don't forget to turn live view off when indoors or you will be chasing settings for ever

Question: Since I have the option of taking light readings on the faces of the symphony musicians on 9-30-22 using my Soligor Spot Sensor II in an attempt to expose their faces correctly at night when they will be performing on an outdoor stage with inadequate lighting, I need your advice. My old Soligor Spot Sensor II only goes up to ISO 12,800. Since I anticipate shooting on manual mode; F2.8 with a shutter speed of 1/620 second to stop action, I will most likely need to raise my ISO higher than 12,800 on my Sony 70-200mm GM OSS II telephoto lens and Sony R7M4 camera body, due to the inadequate lighting. Are there other options that you think might be a better way for me to determine how high I should raise the ISO above 12,800 to perhaps 16,000; or 20,000; or 25,600; or 32,000; or 40,000 or "auto" using my Soligor Spot Sensor II to expose their faces properly? ( I will be sitting on the front row approximately 75 feet from the musicians.)
OR...Should I scrap the Soligor Spot Sensor II entirely and set the focus area to "center" on my newer Sony camera and telephoto lens and put the ISO on "auto" and let the newer equipment make the settings determination with me putting the center of the screen on their face and press the focus button, since I am not going to be shooting fast moving subjects like indoor soccer players? Your suggestions will be welcome and possibly save my reputation with the symphony crowd. Shooter41

All good points from Tim but don't forget to turn live view off when indoors or you will be chasing settings for ever
Dear spudhead...I will be shooting outdoors on the front row and about 75 feet away from the symphony musicians pn stage that I am trying to photograph.

Dear Brownie...I don't know how to set up my Sony 7RM4 camera for spot metering. Would you mind walking me through the steps?

Dear Brownie...I don't know how to set up my Sony 7RM4 camera for spot metering. Would you mind walking me through the steps?
I don't have an RIV, but it can't be that much different. Press the function button on the back (probably F4), use the selector dial on the back to choose metering, press it. Then use the dial to scroll to spot and press again. A touch of the shutter button will return you to normal view.

This link will take you to the online manual where you can read through it.

I don't have an RIV, but it can't be that much different. Press the function button on the back (probably F4), use the selector dial on the back to choose metering, press it. Then use the dial to scroll to spot and press again. A touch of the shutter button will return you to normal view.

This link will take you to the online manual where you can read through it.

Dear BROWNIE (Tim)...
I took your advice and set up my Sony R7M4 on spot metering and center focus to practice setting the ISO for a proper exposure of the Wichita Symphony musicians individual faces at their night time, outdoor stage, live performance in my home town of Wichita, KS on 9-30-22. My Sony 70-200mm Telephoto lens set at F2.8; shutter speed 1/1000 second and ISO on "auto" captured this test shot of a pale woman in front of an air compressor at ISO 1000. I cannot thank you enough for your wonderful suggestions. You made it possible for me to practice and get ready to shoot the event with confidence. Cordially, Shooter41.

Attachments

• PALE WOMAN IN FRONT AIR COMPRESSOR-topaz-denoise-enhance-faceai-sharpen.jpg
    PALE WOMAN IN FRONT AIR COMPRESSOR-topaz-denoise-enhance-faceai-sharpen.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 28
Back