Sony 500mm F4

DeeVee

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Sony had the 500mm f4 in the A mount
Both Canon and Nikon have offered similar for their DSLRs
Both 400mm and 600mm are excellent lenses in their own merits but both are heavy and expensive
I'm a birder and rely on the 200-600mm mainly due to its size/weight/price
However I don't mind lugging along a 500mm f4 if it's lighter than both the 400mm and 600mm and costs less, gives me extra stops and sharpness over the Zombie
It also must be backwards compatible to the current TCs
This coupled with the rumored A9X would make my 2021 year the year to look forward to as far as Sony is concerned
Whatdayathink?

What's the zombie?

I can't see that a 500/4 would be much lighter than the 600; both the supertelephoto primes are very good already on that score, at c. 3kg.

You can't make it cheaper unless you get into Phase Fresnel elements as Nikon and Canon have done. That's a way of getting weight down too but a whole new ballgame for a limited market.

They seem to be clearly differentiating the markets of pros and amateurs. Pros who need around 500mm are using the 400/2.8 with the 1.4 TC. Amateurs are well served by the 200-600.

That'd be great if they can do that ... I've always wanted the Nikon 500mm PF lens but don't want to get a DSLR
Fresnel or not I think there's still a market niche for the smaller /cheaper/ lighter 500mm f4 or 5.6
Zoombie = Zoom

I'd actually love a 500 PF / 600 PF for Sony. I prev used the d5 + 500 pf and that was a stellar lens that really performed close to f4 glass.

I'm sick of the AF failures with Sony so bought a 500 PF for my D500. That's a compelling combo and the only edge that Sony has over it is the pop its sensor gives to images.

Obviously I can't speak to your experiences but I have had no issues with my a9ii and 600mm GM. The focus system seems almost like I'm cheating.

the Sony FE 600 GM weighs the same as my Nikon 500FE ED FL but at 600mm. Hand-held is very important to me. I think I will get the Sony 600 GM

Back