Sony A1 vs A7RIV

Dknb

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Have a a7riv, thinking about adding an a1. Shoot mainly wildlife and landscapes. Wondering if the a1 is that much better for wildlife as they don't always pose for a long time. Use either the sony 100-400 or sigma 150-600 sports lens.

Knowing what I know after owning and testing a good section of the Sony range my advice would be to keep the A7R4 for the resolution and get an A6400 for the birds and wildlife. Much cheaper, lighter and not much worse than the A1 in performance.
At the moment I use an A1 and a A6400, there are good and bad features in both. The A1 is overpriced in my opinion.

Going to keep the a7r4. I print up to 17x22 and sometimes 30x40 canvas. Like the high resolution for cropping and yes the a1 is overpriced just don't know if it's that much better then the a7r4. Thanks for your input.

I have an A7RIV still, but I replaced an A9II with the A1. I kept the A7RIV because it has 20% more pixels than the A1, while the A9II has no advantages over the A1 (for me - some like the smaller files).

You can add an A1, but I should warn you that the likelihood is high that you won't be using the A7RIV much after getting the A1.

It's not that it stands out in a single way, but rather that it's easier to use in general. I don't mean the menus (I don't use the menus much while shooting) - it's things like the more powerful processor in the A1 (and the other members of the same generation) which means that you can adjust your settings while waiting for the buffer to clear - you can even start shooting another burst. The extra controls are an advantage, too - switching between AF-S / AF-C / DMF is a simple dial turn, as is switching from single shot to any of the burst speeds.

The EVF in the A7RIV is really good. The EVF in the A1 is visibly better (as it ought to be, with almost twice as many dots).

Sony took everything I liked about the A9II, almost everything I liked about the A7RIV, and then added more. Yes, that includes more price, but they delivered a whole lot for the money.

If you can afford it, this really is the best Alpha that Sony have made.

I had two A7RIV bodies and an A7SIII sold one of the A7RIVs and the A7SIII and bought an A1. Liked have both those bodies but have now sold the last A7RIV and ordered an A7RV. I love the resolution of the A7RIV but focus is much better and faster on the A1 and should be on on the A7RV as well. Unless you want that super fast burst speed of the A1 getting a A7RV might be a good compromise for wildlife. If your main focus is landscapes, macro and portraits, I would just stay wth the A7RIV

I have ordered the A7RV, and it will definitely be replacing the A7RIV, but it is not replacing the A1 - I see the two as complementary. Now I just have to survive the torture of the pre-order wait :)

I have ordered the A7RV, and it will definitely be replacing the A7RIV, but it is not replacing the A1 - I see the two as complementary. Now I just have to survive the torture of the pre-order wait :)
The wait should only be a few weeks:cool:

Back