Sony A7 III Firmware updates cumulative?

Bill_K

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Bill Kossmann
Country
Canada
City/State
Alberta
Hi folks;

New forum member here, and new to the Sony platform (I moved to Sony from Nikon). My A7iii shipped with version 3.10 and I see that an update to 4.0 is available. Do I need to apply every 4.x update if, for example, I went from 3.10 to 5.x later on down the road or are the updates cumulative?

I come from an IT background and my experience has taught me to avoid applying patches unless you really need them. I don't need the FTP updates in 4.0 so I was hoping to wait for an upgrade that I actually need.

Thanks for your feedback!

Bill

Hi Bill think you will find there are others within the updates Sony always say
  • Improves the overall stability of the camera.
  • Hope this helps

Hi folks;

New forum member here, and new to the Sony platform (I moved to Sony from Nikon). My A7iii shipped with version 3.10 and I see that an update to 4.0 is available. Do I need to apply every 4.x update if, for example, I went from 3.10 to 5.x later on down the road or are the updates cumulative?

I come from an IT background and my experience has taught me to avoid applying patches unless you really need them. I don't need the FTP updates in 4.0 so I was hoping to wait for an upgrade that I actually need.

Thanks for your feedback!

Bill
Welcome! I recently sold all my Nikon gear and moved to Sony. It was hard after being with Nikon for the last 20+ years. I have no regrets and I am really enjoying the Sony Alpha world!

Hi Bill think you will find there are others within the updates Sony always say
  • Improves the overall stability of the camera.
  • Hope this helps
Thank you, Malcolm! I’ll be applying the update in next few days.

Welcome! I recently sold all my Nikon gear and moved to Sony. It was hard after being with Nikon for the last 20+ years. I have no regrets and I am really enjoying the Sony Alpha world!
Thanks Daniel; my experience mirrors yours (no pun intended). I’m still crawling up the learning curve on my hands and knees, but I have no regrets and I’m continually amazed by the technology.

Thank you, Malcolm! I’ll be applying the update in next few days.
Bill, for what it's worth, I just went from 3.10 to 4.0 on my A73. It went smoothly, as advertised. I don't remember seeing any updates between those numbers anyway.

Bill, for what it's worth, I just went from 3.10 to 4.0 on my A73. It went smoothly, as advertised. I don't remember seeing any updates between those numbers anyway.
Good to know - thanks Jeff.

Well, that was easy.

I followed the instructions and the update was completed in 6 or 7 minutes, even with my glacially-slow Windows 10 laptop.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Back