Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The Sony a7 IV has now been announced and can be pre-ordered already. First shipments will begin in December 2021. The list price will be $2,498.00 USD, $3,200.00 CAD or £2,399.00 in the UK.

Further details over on the blog:

Last edited:
does a7 iv has any recording limit or unlimited continuous recording?

Seems to be unlimited; Gerald Undone said in his review he recorded for 3 hrs before he gave up. He also said it got hot to the touch but didn't stop recording.

Still happy with my A7iii, only thing I wish it took from iv would be the viewfinder resolution. I was hoping for better weather sealing.

I mostly watched A7IV reviews today. Pretty sad, isn't it? Chris, Sony hears you!

Well, I for one am excited for it, having thrown my hat in the pre-order deposit ring at my local shop. Yeah, it's expensive for a "basic" (?) camera, but I feel like I'm getting as much bang for my autofocus buck as possible without spending A1 money. And honestly, I have never pre-ordered anything in my life, usually waiting until the market cools and prices lower. Having the newest generation sensor and some newly introduced features is...well...downright fun.

I'm getting my jars of mustard aligned along with my rows of ducks. Planning out lenses, etc. I suppose I need to sell a few things just to keep peace in the house and create some room on the shelves, but nothing major.

Well, I for one am excited for it, having thrown my hat in the pre-order deposit ring at my local shop. Yeah, it's expensive for a "basic" (?) camera, but I feel like I'm getting as much bang for my autofocus buck as possible without spending A1 money. And honestly, I have never pre-ordered anything in my life, usually waiting until the market cools and prices lower. Having the newest generation sensor and some newly introduced features is...well...downright fun.

I'm getting my jars of mustard aligned along with my rows of ducks. Planning out lenses, etc. I suppose I need to sell a few things just to keep peace in the house and create some room on the shelves, but nothing major.
I’m seriously considering too, mainly for the video features. But the a1 keeps calling. If they announced firmware for eye autofocus video etc for the a1 (now a tad over £5000 on e infinity) then I will probably save up for that. Any rumours about a firmware update?

I’m seriously considering too, mainly for the video features. But the a1 keeps calling. If they announced firmware for eye autofocus video etc for the a1 (now a tad over £5000 on e infinity) then I will probably save up for that. Any rumours about a firmware update?
I thought the A1 already had it?

Not for video as far as I'm aware, but happy to be corrected?
Oh, apologies. I have no idea. Will the 7IV do that? I am not a video shooter, my video amounts to a short clip of something like the grandkids playing in the yard. If I could buy a camera that will do standard old HD with no added features and it was $1000 less, I'd buy it!

Oh, apologies. I have no idea. Will the 7IV do that? I am not a video shooter, my video amounts to a short clip of something like the grandkids playing in the yard. If I could buy a camera that will do standard old HD with no added features and it was $1000 less, I'd buy it!
Yes it’s the first Sony camera to have video animal eye af. I’ve just started getting into video, and have found it rather addictive. It’s another huge universe of technology and specs to get to grips with tho. I only picked up my first stills camera 5 years ago for a safari trip and I’m still learning so much about that. All good fun though, except when I can’t work out what I’m doing wrong, which still happens regularly 😂

Yes it’s the first Sony camera to have video animal eye af. I’ve just started getting into video, and have found it rather addictive. It’s another huge universe of technology and specs to get to grips with tho. I only picked up my first stills camera 5 years ago for a safari trip and I’m still learning so much about that. All good fun though, except when I can’t work out what I’m doing wrong, which still happens regularly 😂
I went into a video period when it became popular. I gave up stills and watched my kids grow up through the viewfinder of a video camera. The first one I had was a Sony Beta camera with a separate recorder you had to carry on a shoulder strap along with battery belt packs. It was so big people used to ask what TV channel I was with! Anyway, videos ruled during that period, and I really didn't get back into a stills camera until I bought a Kodak something or other. 1 glorious MP and digital video with a 3X zoom. The delay between the time you pressed the shutter button and the time the sensor was done scanning was ridiculous! I never did get in to shooting and editing, etc. I have edited old 8mm home movies and digitized videos using Shotcut, but that was more of necessity than desire.

The video, autofocus, and stability capabilities of the A7IV have sealed the deal for me.
The only thing holding me back is my budget LOL!
I'll join the ranks of Full Frame in 2022 once my earnings catch up to my yearnings :ROFLMAO:

I'm not huge on video but I'm pretty sure that the A7 IV has eye AF in video, therefore I would assume the A1 has also.

I'm not huge on video but I'm pretty sure that the A7 IV has eye AF in video, therefore I would assume the A1 has also.
No, it doesn’t. Neither does their flagship video camera a7sIII. In fact the a7 IV has a few video features not present on either. Most people seem to think these will come via firmware updates though or there will be a lot of angry customers…

The a1 supports Eye-AF for humans in video mode, but not yet animals or birds like the new a7IV does. I expect a firmware update will add this at some point.

Um, I’ve only had my A7m3 for a few months but looking at the A7m4 specs/reviews, I’m tempted to trade in but will probably wait a couple of months until stores actually have stock in.

Um, I’ve only had my A7m3 for a few months but looking at the A7m4 specs/reviews, I’m tempted to trade in but will probably wait a couple of months until stores actually have stock in.
Good luck! By that I mean Good Luck waiting. I'm worse than a two year old!

Yep, me too actually, so I’ve pre-ordered an A7iv (even got my financial director’s approval) but the shop says I’m number 71 on their pre-order list and they are waiting to hear from Sony when they may start getting stock. I expect it’ll be into the New Year before I hear anything.

The Sony a7 IV has now been announced and can be pre-ordered already. First shipments will begin in December 2021. The list price will be $2,498.00 USD, $3,200.00 CAD or £2,399.00 in the UK.

Further details over on the blog:

Just got mine last week. Love it so far.

Back