Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Sony has released the first firmware update (v1.01) for the Sony a7 IV. This firmware improves the accuracy of the Eye AF and fixes an issue where you may not be able to take photos when using the SEL2860 lens.

Although the Sony a7 IV supports firmware updates via memory card, for some reason it's not supported with this version and you'll need to connect your a7 IV to a Mac or Windows computer using the included USB cable to install the firmware. Mac users also need to install the Sony Camera Driver, there's a version for Apple and Intel silicon.
Also make sure your battery is fully charged. You'll need to select "MSC Mode" for Mass Storage when you connect and turn on the camera.
Don't turn off the camera before the update is complete. On mine it took around 30 minutes to complete!

Have you already installed the firmware? If you have noticed any improvements please drop a comment below.

Further details in the blog post here: https://www.alphashooters.com/cameras/sony-a7iv/firmware/

Last edited:
Thanks Tim! I don't see a 28-60 in my future, but I've been reading about they eye focus issue.

Thanks for the heads up, Tim. Just installed my update and it seems to run OK. I had a couple of focusing problems (not focusing on the subject until I move to something else to focus on then back again) when using the 200-600 - wasn't sure if it was a problem with the camera or (much more likely) the operator. I haven't really used it enough yet so I'll see if this firmware update makes any difference. Off up to Northumberland for a week so, weather permitting, hope to get out and photograph a few birds up there.

Thanks for the heads up, Tim. Just installed my update and it seems to run OK. I had a couple of focusing problems (not focusing on the subject until I move to something else to focus on then back again) when using the 200-600 - wasn't sure if it was a problem with the camera or (much more likely) the operator. I haven't really used it enough yet so I'll see if this firmware update makes any difference. Off up to Northumberland for a week so, weather permitting, hope to get out and photograph a few birds up there.
Was download time as lengthy as Tim experienced?

Yes, i didn’t time it exactly but 30mins was about right.

unable to update my a74. windows security keeps blocking the update and preventing update to my a74.

• Admin
unable to update my a74. windows security keeps blocking the update and preventing update to my a74.
Strange, I don't see anything in the install notes for Windows about security issues. I'm not a Window users so can't help much there I'm afraid. Is there no option to add an exclusion?

Windows 10 or 11?

Strange, I don't see anything in the install notes for Windows about security issues. I'm not a Window users so can't help much there I'm afraid. Is there no option to add an exclusion?
Thanks for your prompt reply. I was able to figure it out from my windows security settings and was able to update my A7IV to v1.01

I just completed the update and it took exactly 15 minutes from start to finish, for those curious about how long it takes.

Hi all

Did mine yesterday. 15-20 mins start to finish. Easy.

I haven't bothered yet since I've experienced no problems. I don't shoot portraits, so the eye focus is always engaged from a greater distance. I reckon if it is catching something else it doesn't matter much considering DOF. I'm sure one day I'll have a problem and curse myself for not taking care of it when I had the chance!

I haven't bothered yet since I've experienced no problems. I don't shoot portraits, so the eye focus is always engaged from a greater distance. I reckon if it is catching something else it doesn't matter much considering DOF. I'm sure one day I'll have a problem and curse myself for not taking care of it when I had the chance!
Hi,

What you have to be carefull of is that often Sony and to a point Fuji hide quite a lot of little bug fixes in these updates under the guise of "other stability updates" to paraphrase a little. I just do them as they will usually never make the camera work less well!

Oliver

Hi,

What you have to be carefull of is that often Sony and to a point Fuji hide quite a lot of little bug fixes in these updates under the guise of "other stability updates" to paraphrase a little. I just do them as they will usually never make the camera work less well!

Oliver
Yes, I'm aware, thanks. As I said, I haven't noticed anything that would indicate I need to hurry. I'll get to it someday. Unless there's a real problem or some cool upgrade, I don't rush to get it done.

I recently got mine back from warranty repair center and it appears to have this firmware installed, so I assume the service center did it?

I recently got mine back from warranty repair center and it appears to have this firmware installed, so I assume the service center did it?
My experience as well. The Service Facility took care of it.

Timothy and all,

I am new to this camera and never done this before. I have an Apple computer with an Intel processor and downloaded the driver and installed it. Is there a detailed step by step instruction on how to do this?

Thanks o all,

Rob

Timothy and all,

I am new to this camera and never done this before. I have an Apple computer with an Intel processor and downloaded the driver and installed it. Is there a detailed step by step instruction on how to do this?

Thanks o all,

Rob
I think there is an even newer update that was just released. I have not downloaded it yet, but here are the instructions from an article on this site: https://www.alphashooters.com/cameras/sony-a7iv/firmware/

Back