a7 IV Sony A7 IV Firmware Update v1.05 & v1.10

Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Jeff A

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
I got some weird behaviour from attempting download using Firefox. I did the download in Chrome and got huge BODYDATA.DAT files instead of an executable.
Edit: Okay so the bodydat.dat is correct and used by the updater tool. I should read the instructions instead of expecting the update to be like older cameras. The way my version of Firefox handles it is still weird.

Here's what I got when attempting the download in firefox. This is from the Sony Asia (.com.au) site
I had the same issue with Firefox but Chrome was fine. My upgrade to v1.05 & v1.10 is complete. It's nice to be able to do these Firmware updates from a picture card.

John B

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
John Bergsing
Country
United States
City/State
Nashville, TN
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I had the same issue with Firefox but Chrome was fine. My upgrade to v1.05 & v1.10 is complete. It's nice to be able to do these Firmware updates from a picture card.
Agreed!

John B

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
John Bergsing
Country
United States
City/State
Nashville, TN
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Is there a noticable eye AF improvement? (I realise you've only just updated)
I am seeing what I think is an improvement with the eye AF.

russellsnr

Followers
Following
Name
Russell Webb (snr)
Denoise-2.jpg
Taken today ISO 8000, run through topaz denoise and Lightroom Updated firmware yesterday without any problems. Russ.

Jeff A

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
I am seeing what I think is an improvement with the eye AF.
Actually Sony had complaints from people that the camera would focus on the eye lashes so they moved the focal point back to the eye ball.

rgarven

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Robert W. Garven Jr.
Country
United States
City/State
Ventura, California
All,

This is the most frustrating thing I've ever done in Sonny's user friendly company about ever worked with. I had a Sony account but it would not let me login so I change the password at least 10 times tried to re-create a new account none of that worked. Anyway so I went to the download page and I don't have the download for a Mac OS system anymore. There's a great tutorial on YouTube but the pages she goes to and talks about don't exist anymore... I've given up for now unless someone can point me in the correct direction.

This does not work anymore Sony does not support the mac option:

But this did and I upgraded to 1.05 on to 1.10 next

So I successfully updated to the latest version 1.10. You can only do it by loading the file onto your SD card from slot number one. I was not sure how to do this but I took a chance when you take the cord out it still has the update file from your last update so I just drag the new one on there and said replays said it seemed to work.

I had a Sony account with all my products registered but somehow they lost it so I created a new account and loaded a bunch of my products in there and it lets me login but when I click on my registered products it says you have to create an account to see those but I was already in an account and already spent half a day hanging out at their website and I'm running out of interest. I hope some of my problems help someone else.

Last edited:

MrFotoFool

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
Thank you to @Timothy Mayo for keeping us posted on updates, as I would likely not know otherwise. I just did both updates - ver 1.05 first followed immediately by ver 1.10. Thanks also to Timothy for letting us know you had to do it in that order instead of jumping straight to 1.10. I am going to walk through the arroyo behind my condo right now to look for javelinas and make sure the camera still works!

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Thank you to @Timothy Mayo for keeping us posted on updates, as I would likely not know otherwise. I just did both updates - ver 1.05 first followed immediately by ver 1.10. Thanks also to Timothy for letting us know you had to do it in that order instead of jumping straight to 1.10. I am going to walk through the arroyo behind my condo right now to look for javelinas and make sure the camera still works!
Glad that it all went smoothly for you Fred!

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
All,

This is the most frustrating thing I've ever done in Sonny's user friendly company about ever worked with. I had a Sony account but it would not let me login so I change the password at least 10 times tried to re-create a new account none of that worked. Anyway so I went to the download page and I don't have the download for a Mac OS system anymore. There's a great tutorial on YouTube but the pages she goes to and talks about don't exist anymore... I've given up for now unless someone can point me in the correct direction.

This does not work anymore Sony does not support the mac option:

But this did and I upgraded to 1.05 on to 1.10 next

So I successfully updated to the latest version 1.10. You can only do it by loading the file onto your SD card from slot number one. I was not sure how to do this but I took a chance when you take the cord out it still has the update file from your last update so I just drag the new one on there and said replays said it seemed to work.

I had a Sony account with all my products registered but somehow they lost it so I created a new account and loaded a bunch of my products in there and it lets me login but when I click on my registered products it says you have to create an account to see those but I was already in an account and already spent half a day hanging out at their website and I'm running out of interest. I hope some of my problems help someone else.
Sony's firmware updates have always been a nightmare, more so for Mac users. The a7 IV is the first camera to support firmware updates via the memory card which does make it a lot easier, although how Sony have gone about this by requiring 1.05 before going to 1.10 is confusing for many. It doesn't help that both updates use the same file name so users are downloading 1.10 to the same directory as 1.05 and it might get automatically renamed to something like BODYDATA-1.DAT which of course the camera won't recognise. Hopefully this will be a lot less painful in the future.