Meomyo

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
David
Hi,

New user, new member (be gentle) ;)

Previously a Canon user, now I have moved on to Sony and have myself a shiny new Sony A7 IV, something annoying I was not aware of (my own stupid fault), was the issue with the hot shoe and how it is an incredibly tight fit on non Sony flash units, I have not and do not intend to buy a Sony flash unless I really have to.

So far I have tried a Godox TT350s and the Meike MK320s (which I love, especially for macro), both of these are a real struggle to actually get on the hot shoe, I kid you not, I broke out in a sweat and eventually gave up on the Godox as it was so tight, both were of course in the fully loosened position. The last thing I want of course is to damage my camera in any way

So my question dear readers, is where do I go now? After a lot of reading it seems this is a known issue and I wish I had read up about it prior to my purchase as I may not have bought the camera.

I am hoping someone on here can help me.

1. Is there a third party flash unit that does not suffer from this issue?
2. Is there an adapter that can reliably be used?
3. Presumably Sony flash units do not suffer from this issue?
4. Is this an issue just with the A7 IV or also previous models?

I would really appreciate any help as I love macro and cannot see me managing without a flash.

Cheers

I use the TT350. It's a tight fit but gets a little easier with use. I don't use flash all that often, so like you I have no desire to spend the extra cash on a Sony flash. The Godox works fine, albeit a little on the weak side.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I did try the TT350, but it was just so tight I gave up. I was so worried about breaking it or the camera

I didn’t know this. It’s a crazy strategy to restrict options. All manner of accessories use that connection point. It’s like hobbling the hdmi port.

I didn’t know this. It’s a crazy strategy to restrict options. All manner of accessories use that connection point. It’s like hobbling the hdmi port.
I think it was because of the complaints about the Sony flashes being loose on earlier models so it was tightened up on th a1 and a7iv etc.

Apparently buying the replacement metal shoe for the Godox flashes will make it much easier to put on. I vaguely remember seeing a youtube video about this.

For some reason I cannot quote a reply.

@Hank

I think it was because of the complaints about the Sony flashes being loose on earlier models so it was tightened up on th a1 and a7iv etc.

Apparently buying the replacement metal shoe for the Godox flashes will make it much easier to put on. I vaguely remember seeing a youtube video about this.

Yes, I saw this too and apparently Godox have taken it n board with its latest and/or updated units, the problem I have is knowing which to choose, I don't really want to replace the foot of the flash if I can help it, so would really love to know if anyone has a suggetion for an 'out of the box' flash I could buy for my A7 IV, As I menationed above I really like the Meike MK320s due to its mall and light profile.

Also as above I did try the Godox TT350, but agian that was incredibly tight, to the point it was starting to creak! So I gave up, after all who wants to potentially mess up an expensive camera.

Also as above I did try the Godox TT350, but agian that was incredibly tight, to the point it was starting to creak! So I gave up, after all who wants to potentially mess up an expensive camera.
Fair enough. I have a Meike MK320 and can tell you it is quite a snug fit on the a7iv. A little less so on the a7iii and much less so on the a6000.

I don't use a flash much at all, so had to go and check before opening my yap about it. (I'm just home from work) It's snug and needed a little force to seat the connectors but I wouldn't say it is scary tight.
I would personally swap the foot on the Godox, as it's a cheap and easy fix and I do those kind of mods and repairs on electronic devices quite often but I understand someone not wanting to do that.

Fair enough. I have a Meike MK320 and can tell you it is quite a snug fit on the a7iv. A little less so on the a7iii and much less so on the a6000.

I don't use a flash much at all, so had to go and check before opening my yap about it. (I'm just home from work) It's snug and needed a little force to seat the connectors but I wouldn't say it is scary tight.
I would personally swap the foot on the Godox, as it's a cheap and easy fix and I do those kind of mods and repairs on electronic devices quite often but I understand someone not wanting to do that.
I also haven’t used the flash on my A7iv but would do if I ever set up a studio. I was thinking this through. If you want that flash unit, get down to a decent camera store and get the staff to set up the flash with shoe replacements already done…. Or buy a Sony unit.

I wouldn’t tolerate the tight fit. My patience isn’t what it used to be. 😂

"Seriously, it just wiggles on and off, not that big of a deal."

Perhaps for you, but for me it is incredibly tight, to the point where you would use pliers or a hammer if you were fixing your car. I have read accounts of people sanding or filing some of the plastic off the sides of the foot in order to actually get it on. I'm not sure I'd do that, but its an option. I might try another Godox as some appear to have a metal foot, I'm not sure if that will help or hinder however.

I might try another Godox as some appear to have a metal foot, I'm not sure if that will help or hinder however.
The metal feet are reported to fit fine, which is why I suggested swapping your plastic foot for a metal foot. There are youtube videos showing how easy it is, but if you aren't comfortable doing that, buy a TT350 that already has one.

Back