Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
So I have read that many people think the sony a7iv is disappointing and not much of a move forward, so what do you guys think? personally the 33 meg appeals to me as I Shoot uncompressed raw and that would allow more crop than my a7 3 a9 without file sizes being huge as I guess they would be on the a7ivr

So I have read that many people think the sony a7iv is disappointing and not much of a move forward, so what do you guys think? personally the 33 meg appeals to me as I Shoot uncompressed raw and that would allow more crop than my a7 3 a9 without file sizes being huge as I guess they would be on the a7ivr
How many "disappointing" reviews have you seen?

I have seen a few and many saying it is pointless my son included he just thinks more is better and says to me why would I consider the a7mk 4 when you can have the 61 meg pixel a7 4r for similar money. I love my a7 3 and I have it working really well and at the trade in price in the uk I will probably keep it even if I took the plunge on another body,.

I personally think it's a bit pointless, as Gary said, you can get the RIV for similar money.

On the A7IV you don't have to shoot uncompressed RAW - it supports lossless compressed RAW (like the A1), so the files are smaller, but you lose no detail.

You get a little more croppability than on 24 megapixel, but less than you might think, because it has about one third more pixels, but that only takes it up to 7004 x 4672, about 1/6 more pixels wider and higher (7000 over 6000).

The A7IV isn't for me, so I'm not disappointed. I think Sony have included an interesting array of new features. But I was never in the target audience.

Would you be better off with an A7RIV? Hard to say, because it really depends on what is important to you. If cropping is important, then sure, the A7RIV offer quite a bit more scope for cropping (with 2.5x the pixels, you'd hope so!). But the A7RIV is older tech, its AF is not as powerful, it has the older menus, and you get locked out of changing settings while the buffer drains. And it works best with better lenses - if your current lenses are really good, you'll get more out of them with the A7RIV; if your current lenses are fairly basic, then you'll still get more out of them, but you'll probably start looking for better / more expensive glass... Oh, and it does not support lossless compression, so the uncompressed RAW files are up over 120MB each, and you get just over a thousand on a 128GB memory card...

Back