All Models Sony A7C / A7IV Bluetooth Remote Suggestions

offshoresa65s

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Hi, new here, I've had my A7c for around 18 months and my A7iv since january this year, I've been trying to find a reliable alternative to Imaging Edge, not a fan of that App. I didn't do my research properly and went ahead and bought a Sony RMTP1BT which the cam's don't recognise. I've searched here on the forum and there is basically one other post asking the same question in january of this year. So here we are 9 months later and guess I'm asking for people's thoughts 9 months on regarding remote control solutions, cheers offshore

Hi, I have an A7iv and the RMTP1BT and they work together for me although I had to re- pair them after I updated the camera software to 1.10. Maybe it’s something in your settings?

I bought two of the cheapest remotes I could find from B&H. One was $10 US and is cabled, one was $8 US and is IR, both made by Vello. I bought these based on recommendations from another forum. All I care about is remote release, so keep that in mind. They will do long exposure and autofocus on half-press, but that's it. Nonetheless, they work well.

Nonetheless, they work well.
Does the cabled one work with the a7iv? I know the IR one won't as the a7iv doesn't have the IR receiver , what the heck was Sony thinking?

RMTP1BT which the cam's don't recognise.
I saw on a forum that there is a setting in Network> Transfer/Remote > Bluetooth Remote Ctrl which you need to turn on as well as pair in the bluetooth menu. Maybe that is something to look at if you haven't already.

Does the cabled one work with the a7iv? I know the IR one won't as the a7iv doesn't have the IR receiver , what the heck was Sony thinking?
You have to watch which one you buy. B&H offers two,:

Vello RS-S1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Sony and Minolta cameras​

and

Vello RS-S2II Wired Remote Switch for Select Sony Cameras with Multi-Terminal​

The descriptions are too similar, the second one is the correct choice. Listed under 'compatibility':

• Sony Alpha A1
  • Sony Alpha A3000
  • Sony Alpha A5000
  • Sony Alpha A5100
  • Sony Alpha A6000
  • Sony Alpha A6100
  • Sony Alpha A6300
  • Sony Alpha A6400
  • Sony Alpha A6500
  • Sony Alpha A6600
  • Sony Alpha A68
  • Sony Alpha A7
  • Sony Alpha A7 II
  • Sony Alpha A7 III
  • Sony Alpha A7 IV
  • Sony Alpha A77 II
  • Sony Alpha A7R
  • Sony Alpha A7R II
  • Sony Alpha A7R III
  • Sony Alpha A7R IV
  • Sony Alpha A7S
  • Sony Alpha A7S II
  • Sony Alpha A7S III
  • Sony Alpha A9
  • Sony Alpha A9 II
  • Sony Alpha A99 II
  • Sony Alpha NEX-3
  • Sony Alpha NEX-6
  • Sony Alpha NEX-F3
  • Sony Alpha a6500
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 II
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 III
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 V
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VII
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R II
  • Sony ZV-1
  • Thom Alpha A6300
So it should. I actually bought them both for my son to use on my A6000, and the cabled one seems to work ok on it. Have not tried it with the A7IV yet, but based on the list see no reason it wouldn't.

BTW, news to me they eliminated the IR. I never checked, just assumed it was included. Good old Sony. :cautious:

What's worse is I did check compatibility with the corded one, then decided to get the IR one too on a whim. :ROFLMAO:

Hey, at least it was only $8!

As an alternative to Imaging Edge I have read some people trying an app called Monitor+
I've not tried it myself yet.

Hi, new here, I've had my A7c for around 18 months and my A7iv since january this year, I've been trying to find a reliable alternative to Imaging Edge, not a fan of that App. I didn't do my research properly and went ahead and bought a Sony RMTP1BT which the cam's don't recognise. I've searched here on the forum and there is basically one other post asking the same question in january of this year. So here we are 9 months later and guess I'm asking for people's thoughts 9 months on regarding remote control solutions, cheers offshore
Check out our Admins Tim video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw8aXvz7smE&t=141s

Now that your flooded with information, I'll add one more idea to the fray. Take a look at the SmallRig SR-RG1 Extendable Remote Wireless Shooting Grip. It's a Mini Tripod/Shooting Grip and i8t collapsible Selfie Stick and the remote part of it can be detached and put in your pocket. You can see it here and other places if you search.

Hi folks, thank you for many ideas. I think one of my issues is Firmware version A7iv v 1.00, A7c version 1.00.
I have to attempted to upgrade, but unfortunately my ten year old MacBookPro won't recognise my SD cards when inserted into the SD slot, that is kind of slowing my progress as well. I am thinking I may need to get a Thunderbolt Dock with extra TB 3-4 slots and the one I'm looking at also has SD card slot, weather helps I don't know. Anyhow thanks again for great ideas, cheers offshore.

Back