Sony A7iii in VFX

jordibares

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Jordi Bares
For years, in the visual effects industry, I have been using photography for technical tasks but recently I fell in love with the Sony A7iii and I am happy to say it allows me to do things really really well. That said, I wanted to take advantage and also bring the perspective from the other side in the hope that Sony tweak a few things in their firmware to allow us to use the already amazing A7iii to their full potential.

We rely on photography for various tasks, from photogrammetry to reconstruct objects using advanced lidar/photography sources, to the one I am interested in discusing here, Image Based Lighting, where we capture a sequence of brackets in a very particular way to allow us to light our CGI scenes with a 1 to 1 representation of the real world.

This particular technique requires us to go well beyond what any sensor can do, so I thought of sharing this video from WETA DIGITAL on how they use it with a Canon setup.

In my case, my only grudge with Sony A7iii is that I need to at least shot 7 brackets at 2 stops, and this is not possible out of the box. Furthermore, I am interested also in the possibility of shooting 11 exposures at 1 stop, but again, this is not possible and all remote control solutions relying on the Sony API do the job, but is too slow.

So my suggestion to the guys at Sony Digital Camera is, please update the firmware to allow us to use those two setups (or at least the 7 brackets at 2 stops).

Thanks, and please don't hesitate to reach out if you want some insights on how A7iii is performing, happy to show what we do with it.

(EDITED, 7 brackets at 2 stops)

Last edited:
I am all for what you suggest.

Back