Sony announced it halted the production of the A6600 and A7C. And it will no more produce the A7II and A6100 cameras

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Brownie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Oct 22, 2021
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
I can understand the A7II and the 6100, they both needed to be culled anyway. The 7C and 6600 though...wow. Even though those are temporary, that's still a big deal.

Makes you wonder exactly which chips are available and which aren't, or if it's a single chip that goes in all their cameras that's being dedicated to the newer and pro targeted bodies.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: FowlersFreeTime

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
It is a pretty sad state of affairs right now. Hard to believe that they've stopped production for all of their APS-C cameras. Maybe they still have good stock levels for these cameras, the a6400 is still showing in stock at B&H despite the production freeze announced last month. Maybe next year we'll see a new APC-C camera and a7C II with new chips that aren't in short supply?

Reactions: Brownie

Brownie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Oct 22, 2021
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
The wide range of cameras with halted production coupled with the cameras still available like the new IV, the 1, the 9, the R's IV and III, lead me to believe that there may be a common chip that's the problem. They may be dedicating the chips to the highest profit cameras to keep money going. It's a tough state of affairs.

I'm near Detroit. There are acres and acres of new cars setting in empty lots that the manufacturers have leased due to the chip shortage. Here's a cell[hone shot out my window of a lot full of Ford Broncos. There were at least 1000 vehicles in this lot alone. It's pretty scary when you think what one country can do to the world. I've heard the UK, US, and Europe are all investing in chip manufacturing facilities so it's more diverse and we can have our own respective supplies. Of course it's going to take a few years, but it needs to be done.

IMG_0722.jpg

Jeff A

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
I really have to wonder WTF is going on with Chip shortages. Has this happened before? My other question is, does the US have any/many chip factories in the US?

Brownie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Oct 22, 2021
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
I really have to wonder WTF is going on with Chip shortages. Has this happened before? My other question is, does the US have any/many chip factories in the US?
See the second paragraph in second post. The US and other countries are in the process.

There was evidently a fire in one of the large chip factories in Asia. Between that and COVID, it's a mess.

AlphaWorld

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
Well, Sony did say it ws due to supply shortages, but chip shortages are a problem in a whole range of goods - some car manufacturers have had to pause production for the same reason.

The whole global economy, and JIT warehouse reductions, made things worse, but this could have happened even without Covid. Things work fine when all the factories are running, but a disruption in one place has flow-on impacts in unexpected places.

Sony had already paused production of other camera lines. I think this is round two of their adjustments to the supply problems.

Clix Pix

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Northern Virginia Suburbs of Washington, DC
My hunch is that maybe Sony is also looking at this as an opportunity to finally shut down production of APS-C bodies and lenses altogether, just focus on Full Frame. ??

Brownie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Oct 22, 2021
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
I hope not. I wouldn't mind a full-sized APS-C body as a backup. I'd rather have that than an A7C.

Reactions: Scooter

FowlersFreeTime

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
My hunch is that maybe Sony is also looking at this as an opportunity to finally shut down production of APS-C bodies and lenses altogether, just focus on Full Frame. ??
Doubtful: they just spent a lot of effort marketing the ZV-E10 last year, only to have its production halted now. I would agree to a consolidation of APSC models, but killing them entirely... that seems like a mistake.

Reactions: Brownie

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.