Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
They've had to send my 400/2.8 back to Japan for repair. It's been six weeks.

Several days ago I asked the service agent for either a loaner or a refund.
This morning I asked the same in a customer satisfaction survey sent out by Sony.
Several hours later Sony responded and offered to courier out a 600/4.

Nikon Aus don't even answer your emails.

Last edited:
Well, that's a nice lens to have as a loan :)

It is.
I'd decided against it partly because of size. Now I get to see if that was right.

It's now been 3 months with the 400 in for repairs and I emailed Sony to say that they can replace the lens or I would commence an action in our consumer court.
They got in touch and said parts availability was the hold-up. They offered a loan 400.
I replied that I would give them another 2 weeks. They will attempt to meet this.

They failed.

No lens, either the repair or a replacement.

They've also had my two TCs for over 3 months, which they wanted for testing with the 400, which means effectively I haven't had the use of my FE 100-400 either.

Legal action under Australian Consumer Law will start in two weeks.

They failed.

No lens, either the repair or a replacement.

They've also had my two TCs for over 3 months, which they wanted for testing with the 400, which means effectively I haven't had the use of my FE 100-400 either.

Legal action under Australian Consumer Law will start in two weeks.
Very sorry to hear this Ern. I'd be pretty damn peeved off as well and that's putting in politely :( That's a crazy amount of time to keep any gear, let alone a 400mm prime. Do you still have the 600 or did you have to return this?

That's really poor service. They should just replace the lens and be done with it.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'm angry and disgusted.

Still have the 600 Tim but don't enjoy using it and resort to my old Nikon rig mostly.

The promise of legal action brought an undertaking by Sony to provide a new replacement lens and return the TCs within a week.
The LensCoat is with the old lens in Japan and is a problem.

The promise of legal action brought an undertaking by Sony to provide a new replacement lens and return the TCs within a week.
The LensCoat is with the old lens in Japan and is a problem.
That good news Ern. Shame that it took the mention of legal action to get it sorted though. Hope they can drop your lens cover in the post. What didn't you enjoy about the 600? I had it on loan for a couple of weeks and although it's a lovely lens for sitting in a hide, it's not a walk-around lens for me, it's just too big!

Same here Tim. I only do walk around and handheld. It's longer than the 400 & TC so more prone to getting pushed around in a breeze and more awkward shooting from a boat. The risk of a knock is greater - the hood alone costs AUD 1000 to replace.

Same here Tim. I only do walk around and handheld. It's longer than the 400 & TC so more prone to getting pushed around in a breeze and more awkward shooting from a boat. The risk of a knock is greater - the hood alone costs AUD 1000 to replace.
I noticed the hood cost too, I was a tad surprised! I have no idea how they can justify that much just for a hood. I broke the hood on my 100-400 and that cost £80 which I thought was a lot, but it's peanuts compared to the 600 hood.

So bad that you had to threaten legal action, they should have just replaced it in the first place. Nikon charge similar amounts for their 600 hood.

A replacement lens has now been provided.

The chief camera tech for the Sony, Nikon and Canon agent here in Melbourne believes that the lenses should have adjustment capacity built in. Esp given how shallow the DOF can be.

That suggests the lens can develop play in the internal mountings.

...The chief camera tech for the Sony, Nikon and Canon agent here in Melbourne believes that the lenses should have adjustment capacity built in. Esp given how shallow the DOF can be.

That suggests the lens can develop play in the internal mountings.

I am not sure, I understood your message.

Which mountings was the tech guy referring to?
And which kind of adjustment capacity?

By the way - what was the issue with your 400 ?

Focusing element. Motors.

It back focused. 3cm over 10m.
I'm aware of two others; one did so from new while mine developed over c. 9 months.

Now the replacement lens has failed in the same way, c 18 months down the track. Back-focusing by 2-4 cm.

Wow. I feel badly for you, this is a load of horsecrap.

Now the replacement lens has failed in the same way, c 18 months down the track. Back-focusing by 2-4 cm.
Really sorry to hear that Ern. Very disappointing for such an expensive piece of kit. I'd be pretty peeved off and that's putting it very lightly.

Thanks Tim. It's clearly not a robust piece of kit so perhaps shouldn't be called a wildlife lens.

In 5 weeks I start the trip the lens was intended for - 3 weeks visiting subantarctic islands loaded with birds, penguins, seals etc.

I'll see if Sony Aus is again willing to lend me a 600/4.

Back