Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM Lens Announced

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Amor Lucis

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Dec 12, 2020
Name
Martin Godwyn
Country
Canada
City/State
Vancouver
My Precious!!

I now have the 14mm f1.8 GM and... wow! Sharpness to the corners is quite stunning! Colours are opulent and gorgeous and it really pops.

In line with my thoughts about combining this lens with (perhaps) the Sony 20mm G and putting aside my Tamron 17-28mm I did a little test. The 14mm GM is obviously a far superior optic, but how far can I crop the 14mm images on the a7riv and still get superior images compared to the 17-28mm Tamron?

I cropped the 14mm GM to equivalents at 17, 20, 24, and 28mm on my Tamron and compared the higher resolution Tamron images alongside the cropped 14mm images at f2.8, f11, and f16 - all at the same size. (I shoot mostly landscape and tend to be between f11 and f16, although at 14mm I will not have to close down as much to get acceptable depth of focus compared to what I'm used to at 17mm.) The results bore out my general intuitions. At 17mm (1.21x crop) the Tamron is bested by the cropped 14mm more or less across the board, although it gets fairly close at f16 in the centre. At 20mm (1.42x crop) the 14mm cropped is still better in the corners at every tested aperture. In the centre the greater resolution of the Tamron compensates more or less exactly for the higher image quality of the 14mm, at least to my eye when viewed on a 4K monitor. Which I'd choose depends on whether I expect to print large and how crucial edge sharpness was. At 24mm (1.71x crop) the cropping starts to outweigh the higher IQ of the 14mm in the centre, but it remains a lot closer in the corners - overall, the Tamron has the edge now. At 28mm (2x crop) cropping the 14mm leaves it behind the Tamron except in the corner at the wider aperture, where it is almost equal.

Conclusion: If I combined this stunning lens with the very highly regarded Sony 20mm G I'd benefit overall in image quality across and beyond the range offered me from the Tamron 17-28mm, with a minor loss of convenience of the single zoom, and just so long as I'm not making extremely big prints.

Reactions: pointreyes

pointreyes

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 7, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Dallas/Oregon
Thank you Amor Lucis for posting on what you have found. :)
Sounds like the 14 GM will be a good pairing for me then. For my wide angle lenses: 14, 16-35, and 35 - all GM lenses.

Hopefully will have the 14 tomorrow.

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
Thank you Amor Lucis for posting on what you have found. :)
Sounds like the 14 GM will be a good pairing for me then. For my wide angle lenses: 14, 16-35, and 35 - all GM lenses.

Hopefully will have the 14 tomorrow.
As one who have had this lens on order since the day after it was announced, how do you feel you'll have it tomorrow? Where did you order it from?

pointreyes

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 7, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Dallas/Oregon
As one who have had this lens on order since the day after it was announced, how do you feel you'll have it tomorrow? Where did you order it from?
Local privately owned camera store. Owner says it shows coming in the Tuesday shipment.

Amor Lucis

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Dec 12, 2020
Name
Martin Godwyn
Country
Canada
City/State
Vancouver
Locally privately owned camera store for me as well. I had it pre-ordered from B&H, then they decided after taking my money that it was not for shipping to Canada for some unknown reason, and so I phoned around a couple of local stores last Friday and discovered there was one in town. They had it in three days. The front filter system from Nisi (also just released) with adaptor for this lens arrives tomorrow with a polarizer and I already have rear ND filters from Haida I'm going to try out.

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Jan 9, 2021
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
Did anyone receive notification of the lens in stock? Seems that mid-June or later for the Sony gear I'm waiting on.

Just got notification from my local store that it appears to be coming next Tuesday. :) It would be a nice surprise if the A1 came at the same time. Been waiting since the last Wednesday in April.
Deliveries happening in Portugal since May28

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
Locally privately owned camera store for me as well. I had it pre-ordered from B&H, then they decided after taking my money that it was not for shipping to Canada for some unknown reason, and so I phoned around a couple of local stores last Friday and discovered there was one in town. They had it in three days. The front filter system from Nisi (also just released) with adaptor for this lens arrives tomorrow with a polarizer and I already have rear ND filters from Haida I'm going to try out.
OK, just keep rubbing it in now!

pointreyes

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 7, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Dallas/Oregon
The owner of the camera store sent me an email early this afternoon. I have the lens now. :)

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.