Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, CA
I have been saving my pennies for a Sony FE 70-300 mm which is usually around $1273 US. But looking around, I'm thinking what about the Sigma 100-400 which costs $949 US? Another 100 mm and is more than $300 less cash. So my question is, has any one here used the Sigma 100-400 on your Sony Alpha camera? I would like to hear of your personal experiences. If you have not, what are some of the factors I should be thinking about comparing these two lenses?

Joining the thread to also determine on what lense to get....

From many searches, the lenses in the running for me are the:

Sony FE 70-300 mm​

Sigma 100-400 f/5-6.3DG DN OS​

Tamron 70-300mm

What I have gathered is all have very good imaging, but unlike the Sony and Sigma the Tamron doesn't have the lens stabilization. The NEW Sigma does but does not focus as fast as the other two (birding!) and the Sony falls a little short of the three regarding sharpness. Sigma only has the weather gasket at the mounting base and does not have any other weather seals. Sony is the most expensive....

I have 2 other Tamron lenses, but I'm hesitant on getting the Tamron 70-300 due to not having the internal stabilization. Would the A7iii be good enough to keep up with the 300mm end? I doubt it...Would the Sigma's non weather sealing be that bad? Granted if you get dust IN the lens, it could be very bad. But the Sigma is the sharpest. Sony 70-300 is older and very good but compared to the 2 is the least sharp!

I can't decide! But leaning to the Sigma...please help the OP an me with your thoughts!

Damien J

Last edited:
...What I have gathered is all have very good imaging, but unlike the Sony and Sigma the Tamron doesn't have the lens stabilization. The NEW Sigma does but does not focus as fast as the other two (birding!) and the Sony falls a little short of the three regarding sharpness.

Well I had the new Sigma 100-400 last year in my hands, right after it popped up on the market.
In terms of sharpness my copy was excellent!
But in terms of AFC it could not catch up. Quite disspaointing for wildlife/BIF.

If you only shoot static or slightly moving objects, it is still a phantastic lens!
For BIF or running dogs I would NOT recommened it at all.

Thanks for your brief analysis of the Sigma 100-400. It told me exactly what I needed to know. I'm sitting at my desk and waiting for FedEx to deliver my new Sigma 100-400. I would have LIKED to have read the the AF was really fast but I have to be realistic, at my age and health conditions, I don't aspire to be the last of the Big Time BIF Photographers. Time will tell how it goes for me with this lens. Wish me luck!

Jeff below you find an image, which I catched with the Sigma 100-400 with AFC.
It proofs that BIF is possible, but you need some patience and like always good luck.

So don't be afraid too much to consider the Sigma 100-400.

View media item 3646

Jeff below you find an image, which I catched with the Sigma 100-400 with AFC.
It proofs that BIF is possible, but you need some patience and like always good luck.

So don't be afraid too much to consider the Sigma 100-400.

View media item 3646
I received it yesterday and shot a few practice shots in the back yard. I think this lens will be fine for me.

So also been looking into this option, however I think the sigma may be a little to big to bring with me everywhere, I found this really neat website for comparing lens and body to existing kit to get perspective of size.

I am torn between a cheap Tamron 70-300 and Sony 70-300, it more sway towards the latter.

Neither. Buy the excellent Sony 100-400mm, which can also use one of Sony's teleconverters, and you're good to go!

Neither. Buy the excellent Sony 100-400mm, which can also use one of Sony's teleconverters, and you're good to go!
This is an old thread but I'll respond. I did buy the Sigma and even though I would have preferred the Sony, it was not achievable for financial reasons. The Sigma is a good, sharp lens, but I have it for sale in our Marketplace, at a loss of course. Things changed a bit, financially and I do now have the Sony 100-400. I will use it in earnest for the first time this weekend. The problem Ms Clix Pix, is if we all had deep pockets, our lens purchase decisions would be a lot easier.

Last edited:
My pockets aren't that deep, believe me! I've pretty much shot my wad, as the saying goes -- at least for the time being! Right now the pockets are pretty shallow. LOL! As it happens, though, that 100-400mm lens is definitely one I do not regret purchasing; it is one of my two favorites, the other being the 90mm macro.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back