Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Sony has announced a new addition to their Cinema Line – the FX30 (ILME-FX30).

The FX30 is a 4K Super 35 compact cinema camera that offers many professional features of the Cinema Line, such as Dual Base ISO, Log shooting modes, and user-imported LUTs (Look Up Tables) at a price point that is a little more affordable for aspiring filmmakers.

The FX30 body only will cost $1,798 in the US, £2,499 in the UK and €2,300 in Europe. For around $400 more there’s also a bundle available with the XLR adapter/top handle.

Further details and early reviews can be found over on the blog.

Currently digesting all youtube reviews i can. I don't need this camera, but the WANT is strong!

so many new cameras are releasing nowadays, movie making is not my profession but I do like try new things always so dangerous habbit, that might make broke :)

Currently digesting all youtube reviews i can. I don't need this camera, but the WANT is strong!
fe7a51623c27fcd4c84605e087b77a77.png

$1800 for a 26MP APS-C camera with no viewfinder. Not my cup 'o tea.

They haven't made a screen yet that's worth a crap out in bright sunlight. I know some folks don't like or care for viewfinders, I couldn't go without one.

Last edited:
fe7a51623c27fcd4c84605e087b77a77.png

$1800 for a 26MP APS-C camera with no viewfinder. Not my cup 'o tea.

They haven't made a screen yet that's worth a crap out in bright sunlight. I know some folks don't like or care for viewfinders, I couldn't go without one.
Oh I hear you. I'm probably not going to buy this, but wait until the new APSC sensor goes in a photo-centric body like my a6400. However, if I was more video oriented... I never used the viewfinder even once when making the dozen or so vids I did for YouTube, so in THAT scenario I wouldn't miss it.

Oh I hear you. I'm probably not going to buy this, but wait until the new APSC sensor goes in a photo-centric body like my a6400. However, if I was more video oriented... I never used the viewfinder even once when making the dozen or so vids I did for YouTube, so in THAT scenario I wouldn't miss it.
I hope for your sake, (actually, all of our sakes!) that this apparent divergence to video by many companies isn't the harbinger of the end of an era. I get that they need to be competitive and if that's the soup du jour then so be it, but I neither want nor need many of those video features, and I surely don't want to pay for them. Even the 7-IV, which I've seen referred to as a Jack-of-all-Trades, has more video stuff than I'll ever use.

I hope for your sake, (actually, all of our sakes!) that this apparent divergence to video by many companies isn't the harbinger of the end of an era. I get that they need to be competitive and if that's the soup du jour then so be it, but I neither want nor need many of those video features, and I surely don't want to pay for them. Even the 7-IV, which I've seen referred to as a Jack-of-all-Trades, has more video stuff than I'll ever use.
I agree with almost everything you just said. I sincerely hope they double back to their photography-focused products now that the new technology is out and making a splash. However, I would pay for that APSC jack of all trades (a la A7IV). I even want the S-cinetone video profile, but I fear they will keep it in the FX30 and not bring it to any APSC offering (because we APSC fans are budget-seeking commoners?).

Back