Does the Sony Imaging Edge App Require a Wi-Fi Connection?

Sdawes

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Simple question , does the above app on the mobile phone enable remote operation of the camera ( A9ii and A7Riv ) or does it have to be connected to wifi

Solution
Yes. Both. It uses a BT managed wifi connection. They've made huge improvements since it first launched, and works very reliably for me. I normally use it to pull select shots off the camera for urgent distribution, but the remote function and GPS tagging are fully functional as wel.
Yes. Both. It uses a BT managed wifi connection. They've made huge improvements since it first launched, and works very reliably for me. I normally use it to pull select shots off the camera for urgent distribution, but the remote function and GPS tagging are fully functional as wel.

Solution
Thanks Chris , want to do some remote shooting of wildlife and want to be able to change settings as the light changes , does it send the taken images back to my phone to review ?

I need to revisit the app I guess. It tried it early on and hated it. Glad to see improvement. Mostly wanted it for quickly transferring off the camera and onto social media as needed. :)

Thanks Chris , want to do some remote shooting of wildlife and want to be able to change settings as the light changes , does it send the taken images back to my phone to review ?
It does - you're obviously going to have the the master image on your SD card, but it can save a review copy to your device as you work. You can toggle this function and select a storage location in the settings menu.

It does - you're obviously going to have the the master image on your SD card, but it can save a review copy to your device as you work. You can toggle this function and select a storage location in the settings menu.
is it straight forward to set up Chris as I am going to have to have a good play so I am confident with it in the field ?

It can be a little tempermental with wifi and Bluetooth settings, which will vary based on which phone/os and software version you have. Just sit down with it and practice running through the handshake process. I do sometimes have to cancel and repeat to get images transferred, or reset the Bluetooth to get GPS synced, but one you know the hiccups, it's pretty easy. I have a Samsung Note 10+, running whatever the latest version of Android it can get, so iOS might be a different hack.

It can be a little tempermental with wifi and Bluetooth settings, which will vary based on which phone/os and software version you have. Just sit down with it and practice running through the handshake process. I do sometimes have to cancel and repeat to get images transferred, or reset the Bluetooth to get GPS synced, but one you know the hiccups, it's pretty easy. I have a Samsung Note 10+, running whatever the latest version of Android it can get, so iOS might be a different hack.
Thanks Chris , very helpful

I just spent about 20 minutes trying to run this program and can't even seem to master the setup. I'll try later but this is a big Kluge!

I've found this very reliable and useful with a samsung android tablet and a7i and a7ii (wifi - I haven't tried NFC). I usually set it so that the camera acts as a hotspot, and the tablet makes a direct connection so no external wifi network is required.
Also once setup for the first time, it needs very little effort to reconnect.

I use it all the time for remote shooting, you can control the camera settings and with a 10" tablet, get a great view of the shot before taking it, and if you configure it that way, it will dump either a smaller version of the shot to your device for review or a full res one (won't send the RAW). Took a bit of google to configure the settings, initially it set the camera to only take jpgs. You need to configure photo quality after connecting!

I also use it to dump downsized photos to my tablet for things like social media, where I do a quick snapseed edit and post them (Full res RAW is a bit of overkill for Facebook!).

I've also used imaging edge on my windows laptop, connected by USB cable, but find this less useful (my cable is a bit short!)

My favourite app to control my Sonys is 'Shutter', an Apple app. It connects easily and controls the camera very well. It's not free, but I hate fiddling around. Once it knows your body, it connects perfectly first time. I have 3 bodies, including and an A9, and the app recognises each camera when I'm ready to connect.

I have to acknowledge I still haven't used the app (I'm still struggling to connect the phone-Samsung S7- with the camera). Can you use it to automatically upload the photos to an FTP server or cloud service?

My favourite app to control my Sonys is 'Shutter', an Apple app. It connects easily and controls the camera very well. It's not free, but I hate fiddling around. Once it knows your body, it connects perfectly first time. I have 3 bodies, including and an A9, and the app recognises each camera when I'm ready to connect.
Good to know!
I constantly have jitter issues with the imaging edge app.

It doesn’t have to be butter smooth but even from about 5 feet away I was disappointed that the “stream” was jumping around and lagging.

This was one of the modern features I was hoping to utilize more heavily. It’s also really inconsistent to switch modes constantly.

I will have to give this a try

Has anyone figured out how to reliably and predictably restart the GPS Location Information Linkage in the Imaging App on IOS? For some reason I can reliably control the camera which I believe uses WIFI on the phone but all I want is the GPS to be transferred from the phone to the camera (A7R4) using firmware 1.20. I get it working fine initially, then for some reason it stops working. The Imaging Edge App says Searching for the camera. I then need to reestablish the connection from within the app - to be honest I don't know how I do this, basically trying to forget and re-establish the bluetooth connection - so I have no consistency in getting it back working in the field. I am using 1 year old iPhone and IOS 14.7.1 Would appreciate any advise as to how to keep it working. Thanks

Back