Followers
Following
Name
Shon Ong
Country
Singapore
City/State
Singapore
Does anyone uses the non tough version of Sony SF-G-series memory cards? A1 display a message suggesting a V90 or a faster card but I thought this card is already very fast even though it did not state V90 and its quite old.

Attachments

• sony_sd_cards_678_678x452.jpg
    sony_sd_cards_678_678x452.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 36
  • photo_2022-03-31_03-07-37.jpg
    photo_2022-03-31_03-07-37.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 33
Does anyone uses the non tough version of Sony SF-G-series memory cards? A1 display a message suggesting a V90 or a faster card but I thought this card is already very fast even though it did not state V90 and its quite old.
I have used them for stills (I don’t shoot video), and they work fine. Got two before the Tough version came out.

The issue might be that video requires the card to accept a continuous stream of data, and some cards have a pause every so often which disqualifies them from V90.

Despite the read/write speeds being the same as the newer Tough cards these older and now no longer sold SF-G cards are not V90 certified like the new SF-G Tough cards, so they can’t sustain the transfer speeds for certain video formats. These cards are still great for stills with the a1, just not so great for video as you’ve found. You can find out which cards are V90 certified and tested in the a1 in my memory card guide.

Thanks guys for sharing. @Hank, sadly the card series are not under the replacement program. @Timothy Mayo yes I saw that very informative guide! I had actually decided to invest into CFE-A since before I came over to Sony, I was already using CFE-B in my panasonic and Nikon and have little use for SDs. Guess I have to just use SDs for stills and CFE-A for videos then.

Back