Sony to Announce A7R-V October 26th

Ok, I see the difference. My point was 'from one comes many', I wasn't thinking in terms of different sizes from one wafer, just that you can get fewer large sensors as smaller sensors out of the same size wafer.

Absolutely. From one wafer you can get fewer FF sensors, and you lose a bigger fraction of your yield to each flaw (ouch!). That's why they are expensive.

Yes, you can get more APS-C sensors, and even more m4/3, and way more RX100 sensors, and vastly more cell phone cameras. And maybe someone will come up with something really cool using an array of cell phone sensors (maybe that's how someone will build a practical curved sensor?)

Also, stacked sensors require significantly more passes, and therefore cost even more and have even lower yield. Making them even more expensive. But they are so good...

It's the old story: "For the price of one of your super thing I can get four (or ten, or fifty) of my not-so-super thing!" - I could buy multiple lesser cameras for the price I paid for my A1, but the joy I have had from my A1 already is worth far more to me than all those lesser cameras put together (and I know that because I have owned many of those lesser cameras :) )

I'm still open to getting a possible A7RV, and I'll read the announcement with interest. I'll read the announcement of the A9III with interest, too. But I'll be much keener to read the announcement of the A1 mark II (oh, it just struck me that A1II is going to be hard to read - maybe we have to call it an A1ii?)

There is one thing that could eclipse the A1, and that would be a high res sensor with a global shutter.

How about A12? :ROFLMAO:

I don't know why we insist on the Roman numerals when it shows up 7M4 and 7RM3 in the exif.

1M2?

If Sony carry on naming cameras after roman roads in England, then the A2 is next :D

That needs some explanation...
The A1 was the first major road to be properly designated a number. It runs from the north to the south of the UK, and follows a route, or large parts of a route, that was created by Romans as far back as AD43. It's the longest named road in the UK. Think Route 66 (but shorter of course)

That's pretty cool. Did you know the width of the Space Shuttle was ultimately determined by the ancient Romans?

We have a unique road in Detroit called Woodward Avenue. It is designated M-1, and was the first road in the entire country to have pavement. A whole 1 mile to be exact!

So that road name has a similar principle then. How so with the Shuttle? That wasn't mentioned on our Space Centre tour :D

So that road name has a similar principle then. How so with the Shuttle? That wasn't mentioned on our Space Centre tour :D
I was going to type it out, then realized how long it was so I did a search. There are many different variations in the way it's written, but the basics always remain the same.

The U.S. Standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches.

Why was that gauge used?
Because that’s the way they built them in England, and English expatriates designed the U.S. Railroads.

Why did the English build them like that?
Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that’s the gauge they used.

Why did ‘they’ use that gauge then?
Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that wheel spacing.

Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?
If they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old, long distance roads in England, because that’s the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So, who built those old rutted roads?
Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since.

And the ruts in the roads?
Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels.

Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing, which was derived from being just wide enough to cover two war horse's butts.

Therefore, the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot.

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, you will notice that there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah.

The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit larger, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site.

The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel.
The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses’ behinds.

And there you go!

I was going to type it out, then realized how long it was so I did a search. There are many different variations in the way it's written, but the basics always remain the same.

The U.S. Standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches.

Why was that gauge used?
Because that’s the way they built them in England, and English expatriates designed the U.S. Railroads.

Why did the English build them like that?
Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that’s the gauge they used.

Why did ‘they’ use that gauge then?
Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that wheel spacing.

Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?
If they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old, long distance roads in England, because that’s the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So, who built those old rutted roads?
Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since.

And the ruts in the roads?
Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels.

Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing, which was derived from being just wide enough to cover two war horse's butts.

Therefore, the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot.

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, you will notice that there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah.

The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit larger, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site.

The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel.
The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses’ behinds.

And there you go!
Great stuff. I love this kind of thing. To quote Python... What have the Romans ever done for us...

The Aqueduct?

Oh...yeah...yeah, they did give us that...:LOL:

Back