Sony will announce a new “high end camera” before summer!

A new high end APS-C camera apparently, time shall tell if he’s correct. I would be potentially interested in an Alpha 7 body APS-C depending on specs obviously. What’s other people’s thoughts?

I believe it would probably be the A9III; I do not feel like Sony usually considers any APSC as "high-end" (Does that make me sound bitter? LOL)
EDIT, just watched the youtube video, I am shocked! High-end APSC!

I believe it would probably be the A9III; I do not feel like Sony usually considers any APSC as "high-end" (Does that make me sound bitter? LOL)
EDIT, just watched the youtube video, I am shocked! High-end APSC!
But we just discussed in your thread the need for Sony to market a camera to compete with Fuji and Canon APS-C offerings. Nothing they have now is up to the task. I think the next APS-C is go big or go home.

A new high end APS-C camera apparently, time shall tell if he’s correct. I would be potentially interested in an Alpha 7 body APS-C depending on specs obviously. What’s other people’s thoughts?
We had an APS-C "A7000" thread going a few months ago. I had said then that I'd be interested in a 30-40MP APS-C with 15FPS mechanical to use as a backup. My biggest concern would be DR, but they've been able to make the A7RV surpass the A7IV ever so slightly in DR with almost twice the MP, so this shouldn't be too difficult to achieve.

I think I'd rather have a top-drawer APS-C this than another 24MP A9 type offering.

We had an APS-C "A7000" thread going a few months ago. I had said then that I'd be interested in a 30-40MP APS-C with 15FPS mechanical to use as a backup. My biggest concern would be DR, but they've been able to make the A7RV surpass the A7IV ever so slightly in DR with almost twice the MP, so this shouldn't be too difficult to achieve.

I think I'd rather have a top-drawer APS-C this than another 24MP A9 type offering.
There was this thread from 2021, which we revived last year, and now seems to have come around again as this new rumor surfaces:

I eagerly await the new specs and revision to camera body.

Maybe something to compete with the Canon R7? This can shoot 15 frames with the mechanical shutter or 30 electronic. The pre shooting / capture feature is really nice for grabbing shots of birds as they take off (I’ve tried it). It starts buffering images for up to half a second before the shutter is pressed. Sony has certainly had long enough to work on an a6600 successor, so hopefully it will come with all the bells and whistles.

I've just settled with my gear after buying my newest two lenses a month ago so I really hope this announcement is for APSC and not an A9III in the vicinity of 30-40MP! I'm lucky I don't bet on me not buying any new camera equipment, otherwise I'd be too broke to buy any new camera equipment... 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely it will be a A6600 replacement with the new bells and whistles that the new ZV-E1 has, but cheaper due to APSC not FF.
I'd be happy with one of those...

A high-end APS-C in a full frame body could be something that would spark my interest. I don't "need" a new body but there are times when such a camera would make a lot of sense.

Wasn't the new "high end camera" announced yesterday? So many people are proclaiming it to be "the best vlogging camera ever!" - that must means it's high end, then (certainly the price is high!)

My patience with Sony is wearing thin, the Nikon z 9 and 800mm 5.6 lens look good to me and better value than Sony flagship camera and lenses

My patience with Sony is wearing thin, the Nikon z 9 and 800mm 5.6 lens look good to me and better value than Sony flagship camera and lenses
The Z9 is too big for me. The Z8 is rumored to be coming soon. Being billed as a baby Z9, it's supposed to succeed where previous efforts failed, like AF. And Nikon is now embracing third party lenses. They've licensed Tamron to build the trinity of 2.8 zooms and badge as Nikon. Other lenses too.

The Z9 is already priced between the A9II and the A1, and by all accounts stands shoulder to shoulder with the A1. While one does something better here, the other does something better there. I'm going to make a SWAG, the Z8 will be about the same price as the A9III, or maybe a little less, and will have more MP. Will be watching closely.

Check this out, a quick summary of the rumor site author's thoughts on the camera. 4 minutes long, he spends the first 2.5 minutes complaining about Sony's asinine firmware policy, the fact that their new creative app is loaded with problems, and their typical overpricing of new gear.

Last edited:
Check this out, a quick summary of the rumor site author's thoughts on the camera. 4 minutes long, he spends the first 2.5 minutes complaining about Sony's asinine firmware policy, the fact that their new creative app is loaded with problems, and their typical overpricing of new gear.
He's not wrong. Imagine you just bought the FX3 for $3,900 and you see that THROUGH SOFTWARE the new $2200 vlogging camera has newer/better features using the same hardware. Why can't they be delivered to the FX3? Its like Sony has one software team that they move from camera to newer camera and never revisit previously released cameras.

The A7 line is a prime example. They release a new base model every 3-4 years or so. In the interim, new features come along that are included on other manufacturer's newer releases as well as Sony's. Not all can be added via firmware, but many could in order to keep the camera relevant. The new AF is a prime example. They can't add the AI part, but the subject recognition can definitely be added via firmware. And why can't they add Lossless Compressed RAW to the entire series, or at least back to the A7II era? This throws a bone to existing users with decent upgrades that aren't likely to preclude a new camera purchase down the road.

Panasonic did a firmware update that added near/far focus and made it assignable to function buttons. Say you were shooting a bird in a tree and the camera kept grabbing the tree. By pushing the 'far' button, it would look beyond the branch and get the bird instantly. I shot geese landing through brush, and airplanes flying behind a tree, etc. If they can do that via firmware, Sony could be doing a lot more.

IMO, it's about money. They'd rather you buy another camera instead of updating the one you have. That is penny-wise and pound-foolish. Instead of keeping customers to buy another model, they'll lose customers to other brands.

And what's more, this is really well known. Gerald Undone holds their feet to the fire with respect to their poor firmware policy. Too much bad publicity about a subject many feel is an important part of support will cause people that may have been considering Sony to shy away.

The A7 line is a prime example. They release a new base model every 3-4 years or so. In the interim, new features come along that are included on other manufacturer's newer releases as well as Sony's. Not all can be added via firmware, but many could in order to keep the camera relevant. The new AF is a prime example. They can't add the AI part, but the subject recognition can definitely be added via firmware. And why can't they add Lossless Compressed RAW to the entire series, or at least back to the A7II era? This throws a bone to existing users with decent upgrades that aren't likely to preclude a new camera purchase down the road.

Panasonic did a firmware update that added near/far focus and made it assignable to function buttons. Say you were shooting a bird in a tree and the camera kept grabbing the tree. By pushing the 'far' button, it would look beyond the branch and get the bird instantly. I shot geese landing through brush, and airplanes flying behind a tree, etc. If they can do that via firmware, Sony could be doing a lot more.

IMO, it's about money. They'd rather you buy another camera instead of updating the one you have. That is penny-wise and pound-foolish. Instead of keeping customers to buy another model, they'll lose customers to other brands.

And what's more, this is really well known. Gerald Undone holds their feet to the fire with respect to their poor firmware policy. Too much bad publicity about a subject many feel is an important part of support will cause people that may have been considering Sony to shy away.
Ok but I for sure do not want the subject recognition rubbish, the last thing I want is a camera that does not focus where I tell too and on what I want it too, All the high end primes have had prefocus and near and far settings for years even the Sony 300 g mk1 2.8 , there is too much tech going into a lot of these cameras that we never knew we needed. It is no wonder people new to this just think the next camera is better than the last so therefore their shot will be better.

I think you're forgetting that the hardware in the camera is specced/priced to run the software upon release.
It is unlikely that your buying a camera full of memory and chips and circuitry that runs the software it needs to with 75% spare capacity for future updates. I'd imagine this is tightly controlled to increase profits per camera - least hardware spec to run the software required upon release.
There isn't likely to be much spare hardware capacity to run new features correctly.

Ok but I for sure do not want the subject recognition rubbish, the last thing I want is a camera that does not focus where I tell too and on what I want it too, All the high end primes have had prefocus and near and far settings for years even the Sony 300 g mk1 2.8 , there is too much tech going into a lot of these cameras that we never knew we needed. It is no wonder people new to this just think the next camera is better than the last so therefore their shot will be better.
OK, but if you can turn off these "new features" would you still care?

OK, but if you can turn off these "new features" would you still care?
Not sure, I have never needed eye focus so I guess not, but all this stuff delays the new body and increases the cost and if most people will turn it off because its not needed once they have played with and got it out of their system, why add it, hence I still shoot a9mk1

I think you're forgetting that the hardware in the camera is specced/priced to run the software upon release.
It is unlikely that your buying a camera full of memory and chips and circuitry that runs the software it needs to with 75% spare capacity for future updates. I'd imagine this is tightly controlled to increase profits per camera - least hardware spec to run the software required upon release.
There isn't likely to be much spare hardware capacity to run new features correctly.
Since I've just cited substantial firmware updates from other manufacturers, this argument doesn't wash. Maybe the A7II can't, but I doubt anything from the RIII and newer couldn't. However, I agree 100% that it's done to increase profits per camera, even though it's short-sighted.

The A7IV held the #1 seller spot at B&H until the RV was released. Now it's not even listed as a top seller. Add the new AF recognition and a few more bells and whistles via firmware and see what happens. It would rejuvenate sales for a camera that has been surpassed since its release by Fuji, OM, and Canon.

Very few people who bought a new A7IV for $2500 a year and a half ago are likely to go out and spend another $4k to get an RV, however, updating what they can via firmware would entice more new purchasers. A good firmware policy also helps cement return buyers.

Clearly there are some things they can't overcome, such as AI which requires a chip, burst rate, sensor readout, etc. But there are other thing they can do. With a life expectancy before replacement of another 2-3 years, it's to their benefit to keep their most recent models as up to date as possible.

Even as a video style camera, how does a higher end model not have an EVF? 🤷‍♂️

A Sony bean-counter probably summarized it thus:
EVF are for photo and hybrid cameras, not video bodies, just look at our FX3, FX30, and ZVE10. Besides, millenials and tiktok generation use phones without EVF, so lets improve our profit margins and exclude it. We can feed them some marketing BS about it being the most compact full frame body on the market with a few *** to cover ourselves and keep the lawyers happy.

I kind of envision it on a stand aimed back at the user with the screen flipped up. They are rambling on about some new makeup or set of leggings that show off every curve. Or, some guy in his mom's basement going on about how his girlfriend dumped him.

No need for an EVF!

I kind of envision it on a stand aimed back at the user with the screen flipped up. They are rambling on about some new makeup or set of leggings that show off every curve. Or, some guy in his mom's basement going on about how his girlfriend dumped him.

No need for an EVF!
Now you're catching on lol

Here's the latest. One comment from them leads me to believe they will not be putting this in a full-sized body:

"I know many customers like small cameras and longer focal-length lenses. We understand there’s a huge opportunity and demand in the APS-C area, so we’ve never stopped our development of APS-C cameras. Also, as you’ve noticed, the FX30 has a brand-new image sensor. That means stay tuned!

So looks like a new sensor and a couple MP bump. Hopefully it's sport the new AI, new AF, new multi-angle screen, etc.. If not, I wouldn't see much of a reason to upgrade from an A6600.

A Sony bean-counter probably summarized it thus:
EVF are for photo and hybrid cameras, not video bodies, just look at our FX3, FX30, and ZVE10. Besides, millenials and tiktok generation use phones without EVF, so lets improve our profit margins and exclude it. We can feed them some marketing BS about it being the most compact full frame body on the market with a few *** to cover ourselves and keep the lawyers happy.
As a former "bean-counter" and current "bean-counter" software admin I can assure you that isn't how that went. It was more like:
Marketing team: We see the potential to make good sales if we can have a camera that does XYZ within an ABC price range
Product team: Ok here is a camera with all the features possible
Sensible adult in the room aka "bean-counter": The production cost of that camera is several times the price marketing wants
Marketing: We can't sell many cameras that cost that much
Product: All you "bean-counters" think about is making money
Sensible adult: Would you like to continue to get paid?
Product: Of course I do!
Sensible adult: Then you need to come up with a product that doesn't cost more than what marketing says we can sell. This is the fundamental basics of staying in business.

Back