Followers
Following
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
I think I posted that we have averaged 111" of rain a year since at least 2014. That's a lot of rain folks. It pretty much rains from October through March. Not the luscious thunderstorms of other areas but a slow, steady rain, day and night, for months.

Here are a couple of pics of sunny Astoria today. The first was what it was like all morning. Autofocus could not find focus in the first not that it would have made much difference. The second is later when things had cleared up. Notice that "cleared up" has a relative meaning. And "cleared up" has a different meaning here than it does in Santa Barbara. We are not rushing out to buy lots of SPF 90 sunscreen.

DSC00579.JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/90 sec
  • ISO 100

DSC00580.JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.7
  • 1/90 sec
  • ISO 100

All you Californians, eat your hearts out.

Some serious rainfall there, spots of rain seem to have got onto your sensor :)

I could not live there, it's bad enough here at times.

I will check that and clean if necessary.

FWIW I just cleaned the Leicas with the Eyelead gel stick. This is a great tool. I cleaned two with dust and two "just because" and they all passed "stopped down, very low shutter speed, blank wall" test. They Eyelead works and is quite simple enough that it works for me, no problemo.

I also have read that the Gelstick will damage the sensor on the Sony A7's. There is some confusion on this. I did run across this Brian Smith article on the subject. I will do more research before I attempt to clean the Sony. By how it has performed so far I give it five stars.

Note in the article that Eyelead claims Sony compatibility. Problems may have arisen from counterfeit Eyelead kits on eBay. I got mine from Amazon. The instructions were without spelling errors, an indication.

And then there is this fellow with what sounds like cockpit error: https://talkingtree.org/category/sony-a7r/

And then this" https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/432774-cleaning-645z-sensor-2.html

Eyelead themselves advertise their product with Sony: http://www.eyelead.eu/fotoreinigung.html

The "eyelead Adhäsionstupfer-Set" link on that page will take you to the page with Eyelead in action on a Sony.

These are their instructions if you have forgotten all your German:

"The adhesion swab is designed for dry cleaning of the low-pass filter of digital SLR cameras. The blue head has such a strong adhesive force that it can remove dust, particles and oil contaminants from the camera's low-pass filter. The use of the adhesion swab is an effective and simple way of cleaning sensors, as well as cleaning lenses and other optical devices. The supplied viscose dabbing paper consists of a coated, non-shedding colloid material, which has a higher level of adhesion than the head of the adhesive swab. The paper is used to clean the adhesion swab head to remove dust and other contaminants.

► Easy to use: dab and you're done!
► Removes contaminants such as dust particles, oils, etc.
► Multiple use possible, as cleaning paper is included
► Highest quality standard: "Made in Germany"

Package content Special sensor adhesive swabs Viscose dabbing paper for cleaning the swab (10 pieces) Incl. Aluminum transport and storage bag Application area: Dry cleaning of the low-pass filter of digital SLR cameras through the adhesive effect of the cleaning swab. Application: Carefully stamp the low-pass filter with the adhesion swab in the places where dust particles can be seen. Clean the adhesion swab by dabbing the dirt on the viscose dabbing paper. Safety instructions: Use the viscose dabbing paper only once. Do not touch the head of the adhesion swab with your fingers to prevent body oils from reaching the sensor. Keep out of the reach of children!"

NB: Eyelead uses the blue gel stick. This is what I used on the Leicas and assuming that Eyelead knows which product to use on which camera the blue gel stick seems the way to go for Sony. I will let you know when I have tried it.

Last edited:

Yes, indeed, some dust and a tiny hair and maybe smudges??!! I have a Giotto coming Monday so I will start there. I'll see about the smudges. Thanks.

Well at least you are in the small portion of the state that is now considered drought free. :)

I'm just happy to see green again.

I will check that and clean if necessary.

FWIW I just cleaned the Leicas with the Eyelead gel stick. This is a great tool. I cleaned two with dust and two "just because" and they all passed "stopped down, very low shutter speed, blank wall" test. They Eyelead works and is quite simple enough that it works for me, no problemo.

I also have read that the Gelstick will damage the sensor on the Sony A7's. There is some confusion on this. I did run across this Brian Smith article on the subject. I will do more research before I attempt to clean the Sony. By how it has performed so far I give it five stars.

Note in the article that Eyelead claims Sony compatibility. Problems may have arisen from counterfeit Eyelead kits on eBay. I got mine from Amazon. The instructions were without spelling errors, an indication.

And then there is this fellow with what sounds like cockpit error: https://talkingtree.org/category/sony-a7r/

And then this" https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/432774-cleaning-645z-sensor-2.html

Eyelead themselves advertise their product with Sony: http://www.eyelead.eu/fotoreinigung.html

The "eyelead Adhäsionstupfer-Set" link on that page will take you to the page with Eyelead in action on a Sony.

These are their instructions if you have forgotten all your German:

"The adhesion swab is designed for dry cleaning of the low-pass filter of digital SLR cameras. The blue head has such a strong adhesive force that it can remove dust, particles and oil contaminants from the camera's low-pass filter. The use of the adhesion swab is an effective and simple way of cleaning sensors, as well as cleaning lenses and other optical devices. The supplied viscose dabbing paper consists of a coated, non-shedding colloid material, which has a higher level of adhesion than the head of the adhesive swab. The paper is used to clean the adhesion swab head to remove dust and other contaminants.

► Multiple use possible, as cleaning paper is included

Package content Special sensor adhesive swabs Viscose dabbing paper for cleaning the swab (10 pieces) Incl. Aluminum transport and storage bag Application area: Dry cleaning of the low-pass filter of digital SLR cameras through the adhesive effect of the cleaning swab. Application: Carefully stamp the low-pass filter with the adhesion swab in the places where dust particles can be seen. Clean the adhesion swab by dabbing the dirt on the viscose dabbing paper. Safety instructions: Use the viscose dabbing paper only once. Do not touch the head of the adhesion swab with your fingers to prevent body oils from reaching the sensor. Keep out of the reach of children!"

NB: Eyelead uses the blue gel stick. This is what I used on the Leicas and assuming that Eyelead knows which product to use on which camera the blue gel stick seems the way to go for Sony. I will let you know when I have tried it.
I read that the Leica and the Sony need the Orange Gel, not blue. Too sticky.

Last edited:
I reads that the Leica and the Sony need the Orange Gel, not blue. Too sticky.

Yes it does. Go to the Eyelead pages and what are they using on Sonys? Yup, blue. You can be sure they knew what they were doing. They have lawyers who check that stuff. All companies do, or should. I'd believe the manufacturer who designed and developed the product knows the product best.

Well at least you are in the small portion of the state that is now considered drought free. :)

I'm just happy to see green again.

We did have a drought this summer. I was amazed. Many plants did not grow. We've plenty of water now.

Yes it does. Go to the Eyelead pages and what are they using on Sonys? Yup, blue. You can be sure they knew what they were doing. They have lawyers who check that stuff. All companies do, or should. I'd believe the manufacturer who designed and developed the product knows the product best.
The only pages I found were in German language. Do you have another reference? I have the blue one but I won't use it if I can't be sure. I already bought a different product.

The only pages I found were in German language. Do you have another reference? I have the blue one but I won't use it if I can't be sure. I already bought a different product.

Follow this link and you will see Eyelead cleaning a Sony with blue. OTOH, Amazon says you cannot do this without damaging the camera. I will write them tomorrow, Eyelead. Google Translate will solve your language problems.

Follow this link and you will see Eyelead cleaning a Sony with blue. OTOH, Amazon says you cannot do this without damaging the camera. I will write them tomorrow, Eyelead. Google Translate will solve your language problems.

No link.

Ach Du Lieber Mensch, here is the page and then click on the "sensor . . . " http://www.eyelead.eu/fotoreinigung.html

I wrote SONY and Eyelead and have heard nothing back yet. It's great to have such great customer support. Yeah, right. Also NB, Brian Smith says to run the sensor clean cycle in the camera and then as the sensor is now locked in place you can clean the sensor. Note that he uses the blue gel stick. Here is Brian on the "how to":

"Special Note for Sony mirrorless cameras with IBIS:​

When cleaning cameras with IBIS using a Gel Stick or Sensor Swab, I suggest locking your sensor in place. To do this, simply run a cleaning cycle on your camera:

Menu > Setup > Cleaning Mode > Enter

The Sony a7 Mark II image sensor will shake for about a second. Once it’s done you’ll see this message on the LCD: “Auto cleaning is finished. Turn the power off. You can also clean the image sensor manually if necessary.”

While this message is displayed the sensor is locked in place. This allows you to use a Sensor Gel Stick or Sensor Swab without moving the sensor. Once you’re finished, turn the camera off."

Since our German is a bit weak Google Translate says,

"The adhesion swab is designed for dry cleaning of the low-pass filter of
digital reflex cameras. The blue head has such a high adhesive force,
that this dust, particulate and oil contaminants from the low pass filter
the camera can remove. The use of the adhesion swab is an effective one
and easy type of sensor cleaning, as well as cleaning of lenses and
other optical devices. The supplied viscose dabbing paper consists of
a coated, non-shedding colloid material, which has a higher level of adhesion
than the head of the adhesion swab. The paper is used for cleaning
The adhesion swab head is used to remove dust and other contaminants
remove.

► Multiple use possible as cleaning paper is included

Package content
Special sensor adhesion swabs
Viscose dabbing paper for cleaning the swab (10 pieces)
Including aluminum transport and storage bag

Field of use:
Dry cleaning of the low-pass filter of digital SLR cameras through the adhesive effect of the cleaning swab.

Use:
Carefully stamp the low-pass filter with the adhesion swab on the places
where dust particles too
are recognizable.
Clean the adhesion swab by pushing the
Dab dirt on the viscose dabbing paper

Safety instructions:
Use the viscose dabbing paper only once. Do not touch the head of the adhesive swab with your fingers to prevent body oils from adhering
reach the sensor.
Keep out of the reach of children!"

Last edited:
To add to the confusion about red and blue gel sticks Amazon has the red in stock "for use in Sony and Leica." I have a video of Leica cleaning sensors in the factory with the red gel stick. This is a hint, I think. So, while I did it the first time with the blue I think from here forward I will use the red on Sony and Leica. Neither Sony nor Eyelead has offered any help at all. As in zero. I appreciate that kind of support. Just like Leica. If these companies would just replace the clowns in marketing who are puzzling out what color in the ads gets the most hits with people in customer support who can solve problems I would sure be happier.

Back